Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joe the Barbarian

+5
Bigtymin504
Debaser77
jaydee74
elijahdprophet
Aussiemandias
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Joe the Barbarian Empty Joe the Barbarian Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's Grant Morrison and the first issue is only $1 - worth checking out what looks like yet another Vertigo winner!

2Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Read the first one. Solid set up, had me wanting more. Loved the cameos.

3Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Got the first issue as well. Looking forward to reading it. I really like the art from just flipping through the issue.

4Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

A very solid setup. I'll definitely stick with this mini. Review forthcoming on the main site.

5Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review of #1 is up on the main site:

http://panelsonpages.com/

Still not sure what's going on at the moment, but I'm definitely on board!

6Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really enjoyed this issue. I loved the artist's style. It fit really well with the book and I loved how he added some interesting things to Joe's house. Also, that kid has one of the coolest rooms I've ever seen. Any room that requires a rope ladder to enter is a complete and utter win for me. I am jazzed to see where this goes.

7Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I really enjoyed this issue. I loved the artist's style. It fit really well with the book and I loved how he added some interesting things to Joe's house. Also, that kid has one of the coolest rooms I've ever seen. Any room that requires a rope ladder to enter is a complete and utter win for me. I am jazzed to see where this goes.
Totally agree on the room! Amazing.

I really liked this first issue. Obviously there's not a lot given away but it was just enough to have me interested. The art however was more than enough to have me interested. I loved it. You could not do a better job of introducing us to Joe's house. Wonderful detail and it felt so real.

I'm on board for this ride. Yet another Vertigo gem by the looks.

8Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I got this ($1 so why the heck not?) and liked it. Good set up issue with some interesting concepts.

9Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:I really enjoyed this issue. I loved the artist's style. It fit really well with the book and I loved how he added some interesting things to Joe's house. Also, that kid has one of the coolest rooms I've ever seen. Any room that requires a rope ladder to enter is a complete and utter win for me. I am jazzed to see where this goes.
Totally agree on the room! Amazing.

I really liked this first issue. Obviously there's not a lot given away but it was just enough to have me interested. The art however was more than enough to have me interested. I loved it. You could not do a better job of introducing us to Joe's house. Wonderful detail and it felt so real.

I'm on board for this ride. Yet another Vertigo gem by the looks.

The artwork alone sold me on this series. It's an issue like this that me interested in Sean Murphy's other work because it was fantastic.

10Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I read issue #2 and thought it was really good. I love the artist. His work is just outstanding.

11Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I read issue #2 and thought it was really good. I love the artist. His work is just outstanding.
Couldn't agree more, jaydee. Wonderful, wonderful art. I really like this book - it's got me intrigued and that's all you can ask. However, I've got a feeling there could be a little bit of a sad ending to this story. Not sure why just a sense I have - there's a touch of sadness already to this boy's life.

12Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:52 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

elijahdprophet wrote:Read the first one. Solid set up, had me wanting more. Loved the cameos.
The cameos were great to decipher. Some were blunt, and some were just nods. But very cool.

Debaser77 wrote:Review of #1 is up on the main site:

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=18066

Still not sure what's going on at the moment, but I'm definitely on board!
Spot-on article, Ben.

Joseph being a diabetic is playing into his hallucinations, since that isn't an uncommon symptom.

^ Yep, seems the case. Read issue 2. It was just as good, if not more, than the first ish. Gave a direction that I enjoy. I was thinking that the legless figure was "Picard," and this confirmed it. yes Heh. Murphy's landscapes are so fun. Picking out the allusions to oldschool toys to modern ones is cool.

Spoiler:

13Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

wonderful story so far can't wait to see what happens next

14Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:16 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:I read issue #2 and thought it was really good. I love the artist. His work is just outstanding.
Couldn't agree more, jaydee. Wonderful, wonderful art. I really like this book - it's got me intrigued and that's all you can ask. However, I've got a feeling there could be a little bit of a sad ending to this story. Not sure why just a sense I have - there's a touch of sadness already to this boy's life.
I got the same feeling about that as well.

15Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Sad Yeah. Feels like it is building up to something wonderous yet bleak in real life.

16Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ Sad Yeah. Feels like it is building up to something wonderous yet bleak in real life.
I got that feeling too and it's making me want the next issue as soon as I finish the current one. The fact that we're only two issues in and we still have six more is awesome that we're getting this feeling already. I am loving this series thus far.

17Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What I like is that after only 2 issues I really feel for this kid. That's good writing - making you care about the characters.

18Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:What I like is that after only 2 issues I really feel for this kid. That's good writing - making you care about the characters.

Absolutely. I love the characterization for this kid and I want him to come out ok.

19Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #3

I love this book. It's not even all the original in the world of fantasy - I've read books with similar concepts before - but that doesn't really matter because it's being well told. Morrison's doing a wonderful job here.

But the art, oh the art! I think it's even getting better. The page where they arrive at the pirate town was just beautiful. I could have looked at if for ages, taking it all in. Sean Murphy is a wonderful artist. There's a panel where Joe is sitting on the end of the dock with Jack leaning at the other end - it could have been a painting. Anyway, loving the art very much.

Also couldn't help doing an outrageous pirate voice in my head when reading the pirates. I'm pretty sure that's what Morrison was thinking when he wrote them.

20Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #3

I love this book. It's not even all the original in the world of fantasy - I've read books with similar concepts before - but that doesn't really matter because it's being well told. Morrison's doing a wonderful job here.

But the art, oh the art! I think it's even getting better. The page where they arrive at the pirate town was just beautiful. I could have looked at if for ages, taking it all in. Sean Murphy is a wonderful artist. There's a panel where Joe is sitting on the end of the dock with Jack leaning at the other end - it could have been a painting. Anyway, loving the art very much.

Also couldn't help doing an outrageous pirate voice in my head when reading the pirates. I'm pretty sure that's what Morrison was thinking when he wrote them.

Wonderful review and dead on. This story is just amazing and fun to read. I am loving Grant's vision and this story is outstanding. However, the real joy to this book is Sean Murphy and his incredible art. I agree that I think with each issue and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite artists. Amazing story and the next issue is only the halfway mark. YAY!

21Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 am

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Yeah loving it so far but somehow I get the feeling that the expected 'Morrison twist' isn't gonna happen. I think this is Grant just settling down and writing a straightforward fantasy tale without any of the usual post -modern metafictions or trippy mind - fucks that get him into so much trouble from certain comics fans. I think this story benefits from that approach. The scenes with the kid flipping between fantasy and grim reality remind me of the same author's Flex Mentallo mini series which is no bad thing. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Oh and I heard the pirates that way too Joe the Barbarian 97895

22Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Oh and I heard the pirates that way too Joe the Barbarian 97895
I loved that too.

23Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:18 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:
Jherek wrote:Oh and I heard the pirates that way too Joe the Barbarian 97895
I loved that too.
Yarrrr I couldn't agree with ye more, me harties!

24Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #3

I'm really liking this book too. The fantasy world is very Morrison trippy lol. And you're dead on about the art!

25Joe the Barbarian Empty Re: Joe the Barbarian Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #4

Man, I just feel like I'm using the same old superlatives for this book. To my mind this is the best thing Morrison has done in a long time (granted (no pun intended) I haven't read everything he's done in recent years but it's the best thing I've certainly read of his in years). Just wonderful and brilliant as always. Many terrific moments in this issue not least of which was the introduction of the occupants of Inventoria themselves - lots of humourous dialogue here. I also love the image of the dwarves all getting drunk when they were supposed to be putting an army together.

Sean Murphy has just about become my favourite artist with these 4 issues. Examples in this issue - his depiction of Joe's dark and shadowy house and the absolutely beautiful 2 page spread of Inventoria - just amazing.

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next