Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do blacks really want to transcend race?

+10
Joshua
kidspider2099
shark6495
Spaced4SimonPegg
TENIME_art
riv1
Combo Mo
Thundermatts
BlueMaxx
colossus1979
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do blacks really want to transcend race? Empty Do blacks really want to transcend race? Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

now again,i'm black,and while i TRY never to see race as an issue,no matter the topic...it happens to always come out...and after reading this...part of me is glad that he didn't see him as a BLACK president...but the president. alot of people,racist and NON racist for the record just think that because he's black "he got alot of the votes" blah blah...that's not my concern. my real thing has always,will always,and shall always be "not to see a man by the color of his skin but the content of his character" so i will say as a black man...i'd rather just be a MAN first.....while not forgetting the history of my people...i don't,want it to sound like i'm using it as a crutch,because i never have,nor will i ever,i am a man,and i am american,my color be damned...and once ALL people get that message....the better off america will be. in my opinion that is. Wink

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_forgetting_blackness_analysis

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Good article. I took a class in college called Race & Gender. And one of the teachers was like, "I don't see a zebra. All I see is another horse." Which, to the wise, is ignorant to try and ignore someone's features. That's their identity. Yes, a zebra is a horse, but it is a frickin' zebra, you know?

Anyways, a stupidly required, "PC" class done with. Wink

Goes without saying--Agree wholeheartedly with what you've said, C.--"...content of his character." That's the best outlook when viewing others.

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

are we allowed to say blacks?

My issue with the bl-.... African Americans is stuff like NAACP having awards and the such. Could you imagine an organization for white people only, and then giving out awards for being white? The issue really though, is that having these type of things exsist, you're seperating yourselves. You're making a conscious effort to be apart from society, and really because now, it's big business. The NAACP makes certain people very rich, and even though it's accomplishing the oppisit of what it was made to, it won't ever be fixed because it's turned into business. Same goes for any orginization that wants (and of course, deserves) to be treated like everyone else (white people) but actively further seperates themselves. It's 2010, it's sad that every living person on Earth doesn't have the same rights as everyone else, but the key certainly isn't retreating further into your little clubs. Another thing that bugs me is when organizations will attacks omething as trivial as a tv show for not having enough (insert race or sexual preference here) on it. You say C, that you want to be a man first, and I'm with you, everyone to me is man first, but theres too many of every race fighting to keep the distinction there.

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:are we allowed to say blacks?

My issue with the bl-.... African Americans is stuff like NAACP having awards and the such. Could you imagine an organization for white people only, and then giving out awards for being white?

Have you heard about this?

Whites-Only Basketball League Formed; ´People of Color´ Need Not Apply

The All-American Basketball Alliance hopes to start up in June in 12 cities throughout the U.S. Southeast. According to a press release from the AABA, only players born in the United States of two Caucasian parents are eligible to play.

AABA commissioner Don "Moose" Lewis said the rule isn´t based on hate, but that "white, American-born citizens are in the minority now," and the league lets them play "fundamental basketball" instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color."

Pointing out incidents in the NBA, Lewis asked, "would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" The AABA seems to be having trouble getting cities to join up.

Source: http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=82562

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

lol well shit, part of me is filled with joy by this, because of course everyone is going to say RASCIST!! But if there was an all black league (other than the NBA of course lol) everyone would applaud it.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm so sick of racial this and that. I'll pass on all this till everyone realizes we're just human.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:My issue with the bl-.... African Americans is stuff like NAACP having awards and the such. Could you imagine an organization for white people only, and then giving out awards for being white? The issue really though, is that having these type of things exsist, you're seperating yourselves. You're making a conscious effort to be apart from society, and really because now, it's big business. The NAACP makes certain people very rich, and even though it's accomplishing the oppisit of what it was made to, it won't ever be fixed because it's turned into business. Same goes for any orginization that wants (and of course, deserves) to be treated like everyone else (white people) but actively further seperates themselves. It's 2010, it's sad that every living person on Earth doesn't have the same rights as everyone else, but the key certainly isn't retreating further into your little clubs. Another thing that bugs me is when organizations will attacks omething as trivial as a tv show for not having enough (insert race or sexual preference here) on it. You say C, that you want to be a man first, and I'm with you, everyone to me is man first, but theres too many of every race fighting to keep the distinction there.

I'm gonna be your personal spell-checker... Laughing tongue

riv1 wrote:I'll pass on all this till everyone realizes we're just human.

Speak for yourself, buddy!

*strokes tail & plays with antennae*

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanks! I suck so much at spelling, and while I'm using my dads computer don't want to change sutff too much and his toolbar doesn't have a spell checker in it. so please fix everything and repost it and I'll edit it lol.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

When I first met my husband I never saw color I saw a good looking guy that I wanted to get to know. Skin color has never been an issue with me and it won't ever be...if I don't like you its not about your skin color its about your personality.

I understand why people say if "white people had an awards show everyone would be pitching a fit" but the way I see it is most awards are majority white...most nominees are white as well as presenters..i.e. Oscar, Golden Globes, SAG, People's Choice..not to say that minorities are not there its just they are not there in large numbers...how many times does the Oscar's make a big deal because an African American is nominated. The truth is people want to celebrate their heritage and award shows and other things can do that...not to say they are excluding white people it is just white people don't see a need/want to join in their celebration.

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^ actually in some instances its not that people not of color (white) do not want to join but they are not allowed to join, for example Miss Black USA, even though any one can, and has, won the Miss America/USA competition. However I do think some things are important to have, for example the award shows as you have said most if not all are predominantly white dominated. With that being said. I do not see race. I have no problem when describing someone as the tall black guy or the old white lady. I see it as just a description meaning nothing more than saying "oh the kid with blond hair or the kid with red hair." Its just a color to me. With that being said I think my generation (I am 24 so people from 20-30) are a bit more accepting of all races and creeds. I could be naive but you see the old guard less open and fighting for or against change. The newer generation does not see a reason for this because in our generation (again the 20-30) we have never experienced segregation. I have always gone to school with black, white, asian and native american kids. So again I think the younger generation may be working more towards a "we are all men and women" attitude than black versus white.

With that being said, I do feel both races hurt each other and themselves when trying to build bridges. If a black guy robs a white guy, the white guy will be more likely to second guess an entire race (unfairly) just like if a white guy would degrade a black guy, the black guy would be afraid or show hatred of an entire group based on skin color.

The key to this whole thing is education. Education is what helps people get up from being held back. The younger generation, who receives proper education (not counting the rednecks who well ya know), has received the education and they are more willing to get rid of the "sins" or stigmas of past generations. Not just in the area of race but all you have to do is look over seas and see how young people have taken to the streets....

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The only people I ever see making a big deal about an African American being nominated for an Oscar is the African American community, especially the ones who make money off of a heavily segregated world, like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. If everyone didn't see color, as they often claim they want, they wouldn;t have jobs where they basically get paid to bitch about rascism. If any race or group of people want more recognition for things as silly as Oscars, get out there and land the parts, if theres not enough good parts for a group of people, write some. Tyler Perry isn't going to get you Oscars anytime soon.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Do blacks really want to transcend race? Marvintears

Probably not.

I just love using that picture. Laughing

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Combo Mo wrote:

My issue with the bl-.... African Americans is stuff like NAACP having awards and the such. Could you imagine an organization for white people only, and then giving out awards for being white?

The All-American Basketball Alliance hopes to start up in June in 12 cities throughout the U.S. Southeast. According to a press release from the AABA, only players born in the United States of two Caucasian parents are eligible to play.

AABA commissioner Don "Moose" Lewis said the rule isn´t based on hate, but that "white, American-born citizens are in the minority now," and the league lets them play "fundamental basketball" instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color."

Pointing out incidents in the NBA, Lewis asked, "would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" The AABA seems to be having trouble getting cities to join up.

who would wanna watch an all white basketball league? we white people aren't great at basketball good but not great.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
I understand why people say if "white people had an awards show everyone would be pitching a fit" but the way I see it is most awards are majority white...most nominees are white as well as presenters..i.e. Oscar, Golden Globes, SAG, People's Choice..not to say that minorities are not there its just they are not there in large numbers...how many times does the Oscar's make a big deal because an African American is nominated. The truth is people want to celebrate their heritage and award shows and other things can do that...not to say they are excluding white people it is just white people don't see a need/want to join in their celebration.
Well, one reason it may seem like minorities are not there in large numbers is because like you said, they're minorities. By their very definition there can't be a lot of minorities, otherwise they'd be the majority. Wink

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
Well, one reason it may seem like minorities are not there in large numbers is because like you said, they're minorities. By their very definition there can't be a lot of minorities, otherwise they'd be the majority. Wink

Good grief Charlie Brown Laughing

CherriesJubilee

CherriesJubilee
Pirate
Pirate

kidspider2099 wrote:
Combo Mo wrote:

who would wanna watch an all white basketball league? we white people aren't great at basketball good but not great.

It'd be worse than Olympic basketball Laughing

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:The only people I ever see making a big deal about an African American being nominated for an Oscar is the African American community, especially the ones who make money off of a heavily segregated world, like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. If everyone didn't see color, as they often claim they want, they wouldn;t have jobs where they basically get paid to bitch about rascism. If any race or group of people want more recognition for things as silly as Oscars, get out there and land the parts, if theres not enough good parts for a group of people, write some. Tyler Perry isn't going to get you Oscars anytime soon.

Not always true. The "white" media..or media lol...jumps on news like this just so that they may come off as racially sensative. Just like when the bears played the colts. The media jumped all over the fact that it was 2 black head coaches. Both coaches did a great job of acknowledging it but moved passed it quickly. So the media in general jumps all over this stuff. Be it African American, Latino, or Gay.

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:

Do blacks really want to transcend race? Scanners

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

over all I say this topic is doing great at making us think out side of our little boxes

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

well....at least we're all being mature and logical in our points...and while i agree with riv,that we're all human....sadly i don't get looked at as just "that cool guy in radio shack" or "that cool dude craig at the end of the bar." i'm usually "that black guy that works in radio shack" or "see that black dude at the end of bar,that's cool black craig" (because there's a white guy who runs the one bar i go to and his named craig too....kind of like on the hangover with "doug" and "black doug" but i digress). we ARE all human..but we ALSO get looked at sometimes by our race.....the day will come,soon i hope that this won't be the case,but until then my cool back ass is drinking a beer Wink

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

c my man if I ever meet you in person, in my book you will just be cool craig, and the bar guy would be cool white craig, as long as you dont look at me go "thats just the other white matt".... lol

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

deal Wink

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Somebody give me a damn Hispandex Award!

http://realityfugitives.com/

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

colossus1979 wrote:well....at least we're all being mature and logical in our points...and while i agree with riv,that we're all human....sadly i don't get looked at as just "that cool guy in radio shack" or "that cool dude craig at the end of the bar." i'm usually "that black guy that works in radio shack" or "see that black dude at the end of bar,that's cool black craig" (because there's a white guy who runs the one bar i go to and his named craig too....kind of like on the hangover with "doug" and "black doug" but i digress). we ARE all human..but we ALSO get looked at sometimes by our race.....the day will come,soon i hope that this won't be the case,but until then my cool back ass is drinking a beer Wink
You being Black Craig is a bit of an asshole move. But sometimes friends, even loosely friend , like at work, will either give you shit because they think you're okay with it or are completely oblivious.

But, IMO, "the black guy at Radio Shack" isn't offensive. Can't even think of a context where it is bad. I mean, if it's your the only black guy there, people will describe someone's most prominent features when talking about them. If you see a group of friends that are Indian, you don't say "that Indian guy" because their is a group. But if it is one Indian guy, then ya, makes sense to do so.

No one likes being labeled, really, anything, even if it is harmless. But I can empathize with the feeling of non-mutuality in certain scenarios, though. The Black Craig comments...start calling them White [insert name] with a deadpan tone, and, if they have a brain, they'll catch on and you can avoid confrontation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum