Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

POP! Reads

+9
ravezombie
Heytherejeffro
comicgeekelly
Denim
BlueMaxx
shark6495
Cliff
Foreigner_Man
flux336
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1POP! Reads Empty POP! Reads Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Our book for February is:

POP! Reads AmericanGods_MassMarketPaperback_11

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

2POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:04 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Guess this is my excuse to finally go to the library and pick it up. Very Happy

3POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^ I suppose it is. Laughing

Of course, I no longer have an excuse not to read this book either. Thanks, POP! Reads! Laughing

4POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Has anyone started reading the book yet?

5POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 am

Cliff

Cliff
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Ahh, nuts. Of all the times my girlfriend Gwen borrows my copy.

Oh, well. Not like I haven't read it five times already.

6POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:30 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I just picked it up, going to crack it open tonight before modern family

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

7POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Shadow, a man with a universal look, gets some startlingly taboo news about his wife, and then finds a job with a tall man named Wednesday...

Man, to even think about it brings me back. You guys are in for a ride. Literarily. Wink

Last edited by BlueMaxx on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)

8POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

just finished chapter 1.... I can tell this book is going to suck me in this weekend

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

9POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Anybody reach any further in the book?

Spoiler:

10POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I've been so caught up in LOTR I haven't been reading American Gods. Bad me!

Has anyone else started?

11POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I'll be up for chatting about it.

The only thing fresh in my head is the final story of Fragile Things, Monarch of the Glen, featuring Shadow.

12POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I've met one of my goals regarding AG. I have finally made it past Chapter 1! Laughing

I've made it to the part where Shadow has received his visitor at the Motel America. I read that right before I went to sleep! *shudder*

13POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

This book keeps surprising me. The depth and layers of it amaze me. Especially the sections about the gods coming to the New World.

All the, dare I say, mystic convergences happening around Shadow make me laugh out loud. Audrey fucking Burton?!?! Shocked Are you kidding me? I screamed like the bitch was ruining my life instead of Shadow's! Laughing

Where are you at friends? I want to know what you think.

14POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I am saving all my comments until I finish.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

15POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was looking forward to reading this, but I couldn't find it at the used bookstore I go to. I will read it eventually, but probably not this month.

16POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:16 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

flux336 wrote:
All the, dare I say, mystic convergences happening around Shadow make me laugh out loud. Audrey fucking Burton?!?! Shocked Are you kidding me? I screamed like the bitch was ruining my life instead of Shadow's! Laughing
Gaiman gets a bit NC-17 with the references to sex. Wait till later with the...
Spoiler:

Have you seriously not read this before, Flux? I'd thought you had? Oh, wait, you're giving it another read-through, aren't you?

17POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

BlueMaxx wrote:
Gaiman gets a bit NC-17 with the references to sex. Wait till later with the...
Spoiler:

Have you seriously not read this before, Flux? I'd thought you had? Oh, wait, you're giving it another read-through, aren't you?

I'd started reading it before but didn't finish it. This will be my first complete read-through.

I thought the Bilquis scene was more explicit. Gaiman certainly isn't shy anymore. Laughing

18POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:56 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

flux336 wrote:
I thought the Bilquis scene was more explicit. Gaiman certainly isn't shy anymore. Laughing
I've only seem him get shy with some of his intermediate and kids books. He's been getting dirty in dark-fantasy for awhile. Heh.

19POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:38 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I can't believe I forgot to add this!! surprised

SPOILERS AHEAD

20POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:47 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

BlueMaxx wrote:I've only seem him get shy with some of his intermediate and kids books. He's been getting dirty in dark-fantasy for awhile. Heh.

I remember reading an interview where he'd mentioned being shy about writing sex scenes. I'll have to look it up.

In his introduction to Smoke and Mirrors he talks about it taking him four years to write the short story, Tastings because he would get embarassed and have to stop writing. Of course that was in 1998. A lot can happen in 12 years. Laughing

21POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:00 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I have officially finished the book! Yay! Has anyone else finished it?

22POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Okay, so I have a ton of questions I'm considering:

Ultimately, what was the big idea? Does anyone feel that the stakes were big enough? What would have happened if the gods had destroyed one another? No one actually explicitly stated the consequences did they? Would Wednesday just have been super-powerful? Would the Land have just destroyed everything and everyone or just the gods?

23POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Where you at, peoples?!

24POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:29 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Sorry. tongue

flux336 wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:I've only seem him get shy with some of his intermediate and kids books. He's been getting dirty in dark-fantasy for awhile. Heh.

I remember reading an interview where he'd mentioned being shy about writing sex scenes. I'll have to look it up.

In his introduction to Smoke and Mirrors he talks about it taking him four years to write the short story, Tastings because he would get embarassed and have to stop writing. Of course that was in 1998. A lot can happen in 12 years. Laughing
Huh, didn't know that. Seems so open. And yeah, who knows, maybe he is more open after 12 years. He is going out with a Dresdon Doll. They seem kind of trampy. I kid, I kid. Wink

flux336 wrote:Okay, so I have a ton of questions I'm considering:

Ultimately, what was the big idea? Does anyone feel that the stakes were big enough? What would have happened if the gods had destroyed one another? No one actually explicitly stated the consequences did they? Would Wednesday just have been super-powerful? Would the Land have just destroyed everything and everyone or just the gods?
The big idea. These gods stood not so much for religion but for beliefs, ideals made manifest by the tangible idolatry of people's desires, interests, concepts for which they form power (Past: the elements, death, etc. Present: media, money, drugs, etc.). Our gods are who and what we make them to be. The term American Gods didn't imply old gods living in The States but the gods formed through the ideals and beliefs and fears, etc. of the American people. I don't believe he was being nasty about America, like some British writers feel the need to do. USA is the epitome of a culture meld. We have all these lingering gods from all these other cultures being overshadowed by our new way of thinking. An instant-gratification based society where everything that is practical, stylish, lucrative, pleasureable and/or status-driven have become our pantheon of deities. Just as Johnny Appleseed was sort of a agriculture deity of sorts for past American ideals.

Wednesday and Low-Key wanted to try to bring back a more primitive and archaic world. Simpler. Gaining the power of the immense chaos from the clash of the gods of old and new would fuel Loki. The sacrfice to Odin would position himself back as creator god, moving Yahweh over, thus forming the world in the image he had it. I imagine, anyway. Being that he's a creator god, that seems like a pretty valid guess. Plus, most of the gods that were in the way would be dead and out of the way for this new world. Odin survived only due to the fact that Icelanders still believe in many of the old-world beliefs of their ancestors, unlike many places in the world. And with this incarnation, you could see the influence a culture consciousness like America's can have on a sacred being (a concept) like Odin, not so much saying the old ways were more pure but just different. Things are not black and white, and nor would be the gods within this gray world be.

Everyone know who Shadow was? (I didn't find out until way after reading the series.)

25POP! Reads Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ That was what was taken from me, by the by. Not an absolute. don't know Forgot to put that.

Oh, and Shadow was Baldur. He stood for a few things, like joy and beauty. Which could explain his universal look, as referenced by the prison guards at the beginning. I think sunlight was also Baldur, which makes his current name, Shadow, a bit more suggestive of how America had transmogrified his being. He took on the goodness instilled in the U.S. And, even in that sense, how him and what he stood for was tricked and pushed and hassled, yet overcame.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum