Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Comic Book Day

+13
Silent K
Topcat
BlueMaxx
Administrator
Dr. Jonathan Crane
Astro13Zombie
shining knight
rwe1138
Joshua
Debaser77
FroZen
Lee
Ska
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:24 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

oh and case you are wondering about moneygeddon....

newswipe

27Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Did you have FCBD in previous years?

I don't see why they can't have it, because everyone suffers from the economy and yet there's FCBD almost everywhere. If Israel can, everyone can.

Anyway, because it always falls on Saturday and the stores are closed, we have FCBD always on the first Friday in May, so I'll celebrate before you all. This year other than the usual celebrations in comic shops and related businesses, there's an alternative FCBD which I have yet to get into the nature of, but I know it's some mini-event arranged by independent creators*.

(* Ironically, 99.9% of Israeli comics creators are independent.)

EDIT: And now I got my work schedule for next week and I was scheduled for a night shift on Thursday, so I already try to fix it. As they say: "Bugger".

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

28Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

last year we did but this year because of recent troubles (like two fucking price hikes in two months) its just not viable for stores to take part in fcbd

29Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

1. Read today's BLAARGH! http://panelsonpages.com/?p=4580

2. I've returned from FCBD almost 5 hours ago and it was very nice. Pretty crowded as always and I caught up with people I haven't seen in about a year.

Snagged:
Bongo Comics Free-For-All
APE Cartoonapalooza #2
Love and Capes #10
Nancy and Melvin Monster
Owly and Friends
Studio 407 Sampler
TMNT #1 25th Anniversary Reprint
Wolverine Saga (why did I need that, I have no clue)
New Mutants Saga (that, on the hand...)
And a Israeli book or two + several freebies

Despite what I wrote in my article, I eventually had place for Avengers (it seemed very small and thin for a Marvel comic book) and Blackest Night #0.

I also bought Scott Pilgrim vol. 3-5 to complete my run before the movie. And also purchased the seconded season of Carnivale.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I got a free sketch and will post a picture of it when I find the time.

Last but not least, the visit to my old LCS rekindled my desire for a pull list, so for my first move I ordered DC's Wednesday Comics. Starting from small, maybe later I'll move to trades only.

P.S., more people than I imagined already know about PoP! I asked for a feedback and that they show presence, so expect a small invasion soon. Sadly, I didn't have anything to promote the website with, but I'll fix it in the future.

30Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Fri May 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love FCBD, althought I normally dont go... :huh

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

31Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Sat May 02, 2009 3:03 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:last year we did but this year because of recent troubles (like two fucking price hikes in two months) its just not viable for stores to take part in fcbd

Not to salt your wound, Dave, but Matt Sturgis was at our LCS for FCBD, and if I'd had the money, I would have totally picked up the Jack of Fables trade and had him sign it for you. Sad Damn my bank account!

32Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Sun May 03, 2009 7:16 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

wahhhh!

why does stuff like that never happen over here shake my head

thanks for the thought though doug you are awesome

33Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I had a great time yesterday, though I wish I could have gotten there sooner to have more time to dig through the quarter bins. I did get a sketch from Scott Kurtz, though Keli was working the event and had him hassle me a bit. I also bonded a little bit more with Sturges over my disinterest with Heroes, but I was kicking myself after I left for not remembering to talk to him about JSA. All in all, I had a great time.

34Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Mon May 04, 2009 9:59 am

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No pros in my neck of the woods. . .

Went to 3 of the LCS' around me - the first put out about 15 longboxes and if you spend 5 bucks within the shop you can pick out "as many comics as you want" from them. So, I picked a half-off Marvel Selct Spider-Woman figure and dug out about 50-70. Nothing fantastic. Mostly some X-Men one-shots, some Midnight Sons stuff, and my son pulled out any Transformers. A good haul no matter how you slice it. Only one FCBD book per person, however.

Second shop was 5 FCBD books per person but nothing else was going on.

Last stop was at DCBS and they had an AWESOME promotion where their damaged TPBs/Grapic novels were 90% off. Off the top of my head I grapped Avengers: Operation Galactic Storm, Red Hulk, Punisher: Barricuda, Punisher: Widowmaker, Bucky O'Hare vs the Toad Menace, Dark Tower Vol 1 (hard), Illuminati (hard), and a bunch more I can't recall at the moment. All for about 30 bucks. Very Happy As far as the damage the Red Hulk trade had a corner ripped off the back but I was hard pressed to find anything else wrong beside maybe a bent corner or whatever. And 4 FCBD books per person.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

35Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Tue May 05, 2009 1:22 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I just remembered something. I didn't take any pictures, but my LCS has display shelves for special figures/statues. When I was waiting for the register I saw a 3' statue of Red Skull in full Nazi uniform, a Nazi symbol on his arm (not swastika, the other "regular" cross). I jokingly asked who in their right mind - especially here in Israel - will have such a thing displayed at their house. The manager said it was damaged on shipment* and the costumer that ordered it didn't want to buy the statue, so they're stuck with it and lowered the price. I went to look closer and saw very visible cracks in the feet area and the price tag lowered in about 20%.

* - It wasn't the only item allegedly screwed by Diamond; At first I wanted to by a copy of Box Office Poison, but it was a little bit damaged and didn't look new. I was told it's the only copy for now and that it arrived two weeks ago, probably was sitting at Diamond's warehouse for a long time.

36Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ohhh don't get me started on diamond....seriously don't....

37Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Tue May 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Diamond. You may begin now.

38Free Comic Book Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Comic Book Day Thu May 14, 2009 3:29 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It is because of them that we've had two sodding price rises this year alone!!!

rot diamond!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum