Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics

+8
jaydee74
BlueMaxx
Silent K
deadbolt85
azrael07
Debaser77
Thundermatts
Joshua
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I, for the most part, enjoy Kevin Smith the filmmaker, but the more he publicly opens his mouth the less I like the persona. Check this out: http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-kevin-smith-thing,39529/

It just screams butthurt to me to start saying critics are assholes simply because they don't dig on your movie. It's especially irritating when he makes the claim that his latest movie should be beneath criticism because it isn't very good anyway. I get that he likes to be self-deprecating to steal the thunder from other people, but it seems counter-productive to say, "Don't call my movie shit. It's supposed to be shit!" Lord knows he would be plastering positive reviews all over his blog and Twitter, were he getting a sea of them. I want to continue to like Kevin Smith, but he just comes across as a whiny, petulant child in these tirades of his.

As for the actual article at hand, I think the writer makes fair points. Generally, critics aren't making personal attacks, they're simply saying what they feel about the movie as entertainment. I know not everyone likes critics and it's sometimes fair to say that it's easier to sit back and judge everyone else without making movies yourself, but the way Smith systematically attacks anyone who goes against him just seems petty and bitter to me. I certainly can't remember the last time Martin Scorsese or Steven Spielberg started blasting anyone who criticized them.

What do you think? Is Smith justified in his public outbursts or is he just upset that he hasn't become Hollywood royalty yet?

2Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Kevin Smith is tiring. Shut the fuck up and take a directing class. And I like his movies. He's a great writer but a very average director.

3Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

My patience with and tolerance of Kevin Smith gets thinner and thinner with each passing year. Stragely enough, he adversely gets fatter and fatter.

4Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:17 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

i love Kevin Smith. IDC about his opinion on critics however.

5Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

Back when I was a young buck living in Kansas, Kevin Smith came to do a lecture at a local college. My mom still has the picture of the two of us standing together.

6Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

You all know my thoughts on the matter.

Why couldn't he lash out at me?

7Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:09 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is just the way he is. I dig on his movies to an extent, but honestly have never found the appeal of his personal character to where people'd want to meet him. He's kind of funny sometimes...that's a reason, I guess.

8Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Eh. That's just the way he is. I don't dislike his rants but really he goes too far sometimes. I kind of think he acts like a bit of a baby at times.

9Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have always thought Kevin Smith was an ass.

10Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:55 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't think he's an ass but he gets whiney at times.

11Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I don't think he's an ass but he gets whiney at times.

That too.

12Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 am

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You know, now that I think about it, Kevin Smith doesn't need critical acclaim. Think of it as how Joss Whedon's shows don't need ratings. There's a rabid enough fanbase to keep these sons of bitches rich no matter what.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

13Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:You know, now that I think about it, Kevin Smith doesn't need critical acclaim. Think of it as how Joss Whedon's shows don't need ratings. There's a rabid enough fanbase to keep these sons of bitches rich no matter what.
Very true.

14Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Count me as one of the rabid. While i don't agree with everything he says, i try and remember that he's just like everyone else, except with a bigger audience.
no one's perfect, everyone rants and whines on occasion. It's just how we are.

15Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What other director, aside from Uwe Boll, has criticized critics for not liking their movies? I'm not saying there haven't been any, but I have trouble thinking of one.

16Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-fien-print/posts/kevin-smith-s-wondercon-q-a-touches-on-southwest-critics-and-red-state

He doesn't want to direct. He wants to be a stand-up comic and professional Tweeter.

Way to aim high, Kev.

17Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm a fan of Smith, but not everything he bitches about. That said, he was really nice when I called his store in NJ a decade or so ago (yeah, I'm old...blow me). It was before Chasing Amy came out, he was apparently there signing merch and when I called to order some stuff, he was the one who answered the phone. I didn't realize it was him until the end of the call when he said he would sign it just like I asked (some were gifts) and I was dumbfounded that he didn't tell me immediately. I can understand why some people are put off by him but I still base my opinion on how he treated a perfect stranger. He has even replied to a tweet or two of mine.

18Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Empty Re: Kevin Smith versus Movie Critics Sun May 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Scarie187

Scarie187
Cadet
Cadet

Kevin Smith is a good at his meet and greets but as far as directing and writing... Clerks was good...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum