Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Creating a comic question

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Creating a comic question Empty Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 am

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

So fans can make fan films without getting in legal trouble.
Can you use a marvel character and make a fan comic with him.

2Creating a comic question Empty Re: Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Well... I think you can as long as it's acknowledged as an homage or something. And like using music for your animation school final project, maybe as long as you don't charge money it's fine?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

3Creating a comic question Empty Re: Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:21 am

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

I have always felt I could write DP well and had some ideas for him.
Sometimes I want to just get someone to do the art to tell the stories.
I can't guarantee I will make it to Marvel and get to tell my stories.

4Creating a comic question Empty Re: Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:37 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ya, like Spidey said, you can make it, but you can't use it for any gain.

And you definitely should if it would be fun. Hell, you can try turning it in. I have a friend, more like an acquantance kind of friend, who wrote a rough draft for the Great Lakes Avengers before the first mini came out. Marvel didn't want it, but if you'd've heard some of the plots he had, it could've easily rivaled, if not surpassed the pretty cool miniseries.

5Creating a comic question Empty Re: Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:56 am

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

gangsternerd wrote:So fans can make fan films without getting in legal trouble.
Can you use a marvel character and make a fan comic with him.

Like the other guys said..
You cannot sell it and you cannot submit it to Marvel, even before they closed down their open open submissions policy. Most comic companies do not accept unsolicited stories. As long as it's for you and you're not trying make cash off of it you're in the clear.

http://www.foxyart.net

6Creating a comic question Empty Re: Creating a comic question Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:37 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

DC's policy is as long as you don't make money off of it, you're pretty free to use their properties except in an actual comic. The only time I can recall seeing an exception to that in the last few years is IIRC when there was an art exhibit showing homoerotic images of Batman and Robin.

As for Marvel, in recent years they've launched several legal campaigns against people over properties (City of Heroes comes to mind instantly when they didn't limit their skin creator against making characters look like Marvel properties). IIRC, they've tried to work through that because they got a huge negative backlash with the City of Heroes thing and they're trying to develop some sort of policy but they seem to want to try and keep use of their images to a bare minimum (like fan films seemingly the only fairly free ground, but then again its obvious people have been more comfortable with DC's stance than Marvel by pure amount of product; I can name like twenty DC fan films, maybe almost ten Marvel).

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum