Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toy Collecting question

+7
Spazzy
THALASTDRAGON
prescribeddrone
Splitty
Tom
JonSpangler
Spider_Fan14
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Toy Collecting question Empty Toy Collecting question Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't mean to come off as rude, but why do you guys like collecting toys? I haven't bought an action figure since I was about 13 or so and I'm thinking of one day buying action figures again. If I do I'd probably start with DC Direct stuff and some of the Transformers animated to go first and gradually up it over time. But anywho, when did you guys start actively collecting? Why do you do it? The feedback I get will help me get more of a perspective for this so please reply.

2Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:26 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

I collect toys for 3 reasons:

1. Profit. I have made some cash on Exclusives on eBay and cons and such and want to open my own toy store one day.

2. Relieving my youth. I had a great childhood but I did not have much in the way of Transformers or He-Man. Loved my Starcom though. I buy some toys because I couldnt as a kid.

3. I like toys. I like hunting 3 Targets a Toys R Us and a Wal Mart in one day to find DC Universe figures. I like good sculpts and gimick action features. Its fun.

3Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:10 am

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

I guess it's a part of my childhood that I refuse to give up.
@ the age of 33, I've pretty much kissed my dreams of becoming a rock star and other crap.
But collecting/buying the occasional toy is something that I find nothing but pure fun in.
I have no interest in selling anything I have.
Nor will I "hunt" for an item across the city.
But simply stumbling across a Green Lantern (or other figure I'd like) @ Target, just makes my day.

4Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 am

Splitty

Splitty
Ninja
Ninja

For many people it seems to be multiple reasons.

For me first and foremost, it's absolutly a creative thing.
I always wanted to be an animator, and love characters and personalities, and have loved monsters since I was a child. Usually the things I MUST have are quirkly awesome characters that tickle my imagination, or ones that are beautiful like little pieces of art. Also, since I got tendonitis and couldn't draw as much, my collecting took off like FIRE.

Secondly, I'm a big adrenaline freak, and LOVE the thrill and excitement of the hunt. I would say a larger part of the collection isn't about the having and showing, as much as the excitment of hunting. I often call it urban Safari Hunting. Hunting is as old as man himself. Only we hunt things that aren't alive (they're not, are they?).
It is also very much like a gambling addiction, no lie.
I get a complete high euphoria, and mental shakes if I haven't done it in awhile (keeps me off drugs....for the moment Laughing ).

Thirdly, it's very much an extension of fandom. Loving a medium, type of genre (horror, videogame characters, some movies, etc), and the extension of wanting to own a little piece of that, which you can look at and be reminded of something you love. I'm also addicted highly to DVD buying/collecting.

Lastly for me has to do with the childhood. We were always really strapped for cash, so I didn't get very many new toys. Also I didn't get to choose my toys. I would have much rather had Star Wars figures, or boy toy action figures, but my parents always got me stinky Barbies. So now that I can do for myself, I go a little hog wild.

Also of importance, it's just a real perk-me-up in what can be a harsh and cruel world in the adult life. So anytime you find something you enjoy that picks you up out of the blues (and isn't illegal), go for it!

I think that's all. Suspect

http://www.myspace.com/splitty

5Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:33 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like having a physical representation of a character I like. Some figures could be considered works of 3D art. Something out of the comics in physical form, now this applies more to statues than toys, but there are some toys that are in the same category as statues due to their nice sculpts.

It's also fun finding a character that you like and displaying them in your room as a decoration.

You could make comics of them by taking multi-pics of them. And their fun to photograph as well. Sometimes they could create some really amusing and funny pictures, like this-

Toy Collecting question Vset4z

Toy Collecting question 2jeflv

Toy Collecting question Ynq08

6Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:08 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:I like having a physical representation of a character I like. Some figures could be considered works of 3D art. Something out of the comics in physical form, now this applies more to statues than toys, but there are some toys that are in the same category as statues due to their nice sculpts.

It's also fun finding a character that you like and displaying them in your room as a decoration.

You could make comics of them by taking multi-pics of them. And their fun to photograph as well. Sometimes they could create some really amusing and funny pictures, like this-

Toy Collecting question Vset4z

Toy Collecting question 2jeflv
Great pictures, and yeah I get the 3D art thing. I'm liking the answers so far, pretty informative.

7Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 pm

THALASTDRAGON

THALASTDRAGON
Zombie
Zombie

just like they said, it means alot of things to everybody

1. i like havin representations of characters i luv, and i wouldnt even say its an extension of fandom, i'd say its as big of part of it as anything else

2. action figures in general are just cool

3. i had alot of action figures as a kid, so it was a big part of my childhood

8Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Toy Collecting question 20ro1gn

9Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:34 am

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I collect toys I never truly grew up?

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

10Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 pm

ScarletW

ScarletW
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Like someone above mentioned, toys are like 3D art! I like having a representation of a character that I can look at from all angles, position however I like, move around from home to my work station, and so on.

11Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

ScarletW wrote:Like someone above mentioned, toys are like 3D art! I like having a representation of a character that I can look at from all angles, position however I like, move around from home to my work station, and so on.

not to mention they are fun to play with.

12Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:17 am

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

Yeah everyone else sort of said all my reasons. 1)I always liked action figures. 2)It's 3D art. 3) Customizing is super fun. 4)After my nephew was born (he's 3 1/2 now) I made it my mission to teach him all about comics, sci-fi, et al and the best way for me to do that was through action figures. Now when he comes over he always wants to see "my guys" right away. His favorites are Venom because he sticks his tongue out and Hulk because he's big, but also really digs Batman and Captain America. 5) It's just a fun way to pass the time.

13Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:52 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Janson wrote:Yeah everyone else sort of said all my reasons. 1)I always liked action figures. 2)It's 3D art. 3) Customizing is super fun. 4)After my nephew was born (he's 3 1/2 now) I made it my mission to teach him all about comics, sci-fi, et al and the best way for me to do that was through action figures. Now when he comes over he always wants to see "my guys" right away. His favorites are Venom because he sticks his tongue out and Hulk because he's big, but also really digs Batman and Captain America. 5) It's just a fun way to pass the time.
Awww, that's cute Smile

14Toy Collecting question Empty Re: Toy Collecting question Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:04 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Like others have said, I get them to have a representation of a character I love and as decorations.

I'm not a huge collector. I only just recently (like a year ago) started even buying figures. Up until then I hadn't bought a toy since I was like 13 or so. It's just cool having a physical representation of a character you love. I really don't see it as being any different than decorating for a holiday. My having a Nightwing figure on my shelf as a decoration is the same as if I were to put a Santa figure up there during Christmas time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum