Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Thanos Imperative

+8
Aussiemandias
LOOSECANNON
hrdwrkngXsoldier
rwe1138
Fresh03
comicgeekelly
tstrike99
Bigtymin504
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The Thanos Imperative Empty The Thanos Imperative Fri May 21, 2010 1:15 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Thanos Imperative The_thanos_imperative_1

DnA interview: http://comics.ign.com/articles/107/1074427p1.html

2The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Fri May 21, 2010 1:17 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ignition hits next week!

The Thanos Imperative ThanosImp

preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5265disp=table

3The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

This looks so awesome! I love me some cosmic villains!

4The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I still say that they should just bring in the Pet Avengers and they'll beat him in one issue.

5The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed May 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Thanos Imperitive: Ignition

Shocked Wow, just wow, that's how you start an event!

I'll type up a formal review later, but damn, if you didn't pick this up you missed out big time, there was some Marvel U changing stuff in this issue.

6The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Yeah, easily Book of the Week for me. Great stuff.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

7The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed May 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Thanos Imperitive: Ignition

I'll type up a formal review later, but damn, if you didn't pick this up you missed out big time, there was some Marvel U changing stuff in this issue.

Wow indeed! Definitely wasn't expecting that with Adam Magus and the reveal...can't wait for #1 next week!

8The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed May 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

The Cancer-verse just took on a whole new meaning, lol.

9The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:The Cancer-verse just took on a whole new meaning, lol.

lmao Too soon man, too soon.

10The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanos Imperative: Ignition #1

Briclot’s cover is simply amazing, making something so menacing look so beautiful is a difficult task I’m sure, but he achieved it. Just looking at it gets you amped for what lies inside.

D&A are continuing to produce cosmic masterpieces as they have since Annihilation. This issue definitely sets a tone for how harry things are going to be for the 616 universe as it awaits battle with the Cancerverse (I still prefer Cathuluverse). Thanos is back, stripped away from his Mistress Death who he has served for so long, and he is not happy about it. The Mad Titan looks like he is going to live up to his name and his title as Avatar of Death when he faces the minions of the Cancerverse, a universe where “Life has won,” and their leader. The reveal of the commander of the alternate reality’s forces was menacing, surprising, and awesome. The twist was something unexpected and redrew the lines for how I thought this battle was going to play out. (Mainly the elimination of someone I thought would be major player.)

The Gaurdians of the Galaxy are allied with forces mustered by the Shi’ar Majestor Gladiator. Facing of against the Cancerverse and the Universal Church of Truth, are the Shi’ar, Inhumans, Thanos, Nova, the GotG, and Blastaar’s Negative Zone forces. (They must be taxed with the War of Four cities about to happen in Fantastic Four.) This looks to be an epic battle but I get the feeling that something is missing. All of this cosmic stuff has been going on and there has yet to be an appearance by the Silver Surfer. He is probably the biggest cosmic player other than Galactus that hasn’t been heard of during this entire space thing. I’m going to speculate that we will see him soon, not to mention the probable return of Black Bolt and Vulcan.

The art in this issue is great the panels flow well and there are plenty of action sequences and Walker captures the epic nature of these events very well. There isn’t a single page in the book that isn’t overflowing with story told by pictures. The first couple pages have an excellent montage of Thanos’ life, death, conquests, and failures.

This is one of the best intro issues to an event in some time. I hope that people give this book a chance. If not, they are definitely missing out.

4.5 out of 5 Points on a Pentagram

11The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Mon May 31, 2010 10:43 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thanos Imp: Ignition

And that's just the prologue? Hot Damn!

4.5/5

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

12The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think the thing that stood out to me the most about The Thanos Imperative was the art. Brad Walker has just gotten better and better over the last year or so and this may have been his best work yet. My disappointment? He's not doing the art on the main series. I'm sure there'll be one or two new spin off series once this mini is completed and I'm hoping Walker gets the regular gig on one of those.

Fantastic cover too.

And that's not to say there was anything wrong with the story, it's just that the art really stood out to me. This was definitely a great kick-off to this next cosmic storyline. I'll be very interested how this next story plays out because DnA (and this is just my opinion because I know you guys all love them) have been running the risk of being repetitive with these cosmic "events" so I'm looking for something fresh.

Fresh03 wrote:Thanos Imperitive: Ignition

I don't know that it's Marvel U changing stuff. I'm sure it will impact this corner of the Marvel Universe and these characters but I'm doubtful it will impact the whole Marvel Universe.

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Wow indeed! Definitely wasn't expecting that with Adam Magus and the reveal...can't wait for #1 next week!
I doubt he's dead. We've thought he was dead before. I have no doubt he'll be back.

13The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:I think the thing that stood out to me the most about The Thanos Imperative was the art. Brad Walker has just gotten better and better over the last year or so and this may have been his best work yet. My disappointment? He's not doing the art on the main series. I'm sure there'll be one or two new spin off series once this mini is completed and I'm hoping Walker gets the regular gig on one of those.

Definitely agreed on this. Walker's art was brilliant, and I was also disappointed to find out that he won't be doing the main series. Based on the preview of #1 though, the guy doing it seems good enough so I think it'll work out.

Aussiemandias wrote:I doubt he's dead. We've thought he was dead before. I have no doubt he'll be back.

Yeah me too. But it was still a bit shocking to see that, especially since most of us thought Magus was THE big bad of all this.

14The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah it appears Magus was just a pawn. It also appears the Captain Mar-vell of the cancerverse is extremely powerful.

15The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:21 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#1 was a damn good read, and once again this is my Book of the Week. Rocket confronting Thanos was fantastic, and the scene between Thanos and Drax was great on several levels.

16The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:58 pm

TheBrownLantern

TheBrownLantern
Cadet
Cadet

I guess I should get this. I must say I've been intrigued about the whole face-lift that Marvel has given its Cosmic universe. I'm also intrigued about this new Shield series, if its any good

17The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:04 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

this is looking a lot better than war of kings. I am really liking the idea of the story that life is a bad thing without death

18The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:43 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't totally enjoyed the last 2 cosmic events. Haven't hated them but I didn't think they were as good as the earlier stuff. Anyway, this feels like it's back to the good stuff again. Not too much specific to say except that I thought it was pretty entertaining work from DnA. I think they always do a great job at juggling a lot of characters which is not something all writers can pull off.

This looks like it will be a great ride and I suspect might have a bit of a casualty list by the end of it.

My one gripe: the art. Do not like it one bit. I really wish Brad Walker was on this book. Sepulveda's art seems all wrong to me for sci-fi based series. To me, it would be better on a more fantasy related book. I'm very disappointed about this aspect of the book.

19The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah I absolutely loved #1. The opening scene with Nova and Star-Lord chillin during the Annihilation War was great, those two characters provide some good humanization for these cosmic events. Then everything with Thanos is just awesome, especially he and Rocket Raccoon's showdown lol. It will also be very interesting to see how long before Drax and Thanos try to kill eachother. And so far Lord Mar-Vell and the Revengers are some pretty badass villains.

I have to agree with Aussie on the art though. It's decent, but just doesn't fit the cosmic scope of the story IMO. And it just doesn't stack up to the outstanding work from the previous cosmic event artists like Andrea Di Vito on Annihilation and Paul Pelletier on War of Kings. The overly muddied coloring didn't help one bit either. I wish Brad Walker were doing this but I'm guessing he couldn't because he's working on a new cosmic book that will come out after this. Oh well can't have it all I guess, Sepulveda's art isn't the best but it should be solid enough.

20The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:16 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Aussiemandias wrote:
This looks like it will be a great ride and I suspect might have a bit of a casualty list by the end of it.
Oh, most definitely. I'm expecting several Guardsmen (including Smasher, natch), a Guardian or two (Jack Flag & Bug seem the most likely) and maybe one of the royal Inhumans to bite it. I'm not saying I want any of them to die, just that it wouldn't surprise me.

21The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

The Thanos Imperative #1

Have to agree with everyone on this...excellent storytelling, perhaps almost TOO much action/things going on...loving all the panel-time between groups (Inhumans and Imp. Guard aren't forgotten)...Silver Surfer looming over...Thanos interaction with Drax was priceless, and having Cosmos and Racoon back with quips is what's needed in such a heavy war.

The art...it's impressive...in a way. You can tell the penciling is good; it's in the muddled, painted brushes that distract from such detail (check out the sketch pages at the end of the book to see what I'm talking about). I'm not shouting for another colorist, but it lacks the charismatic Silver Age fun of Walker. Sepulveda's art isn't great, but it's not painful either.

4/5 Cosmic Entities - Can't wait for more!

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

22The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:45 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanos Imperative #1 of 6

I am a little sad to see all the cosmic books ending and becoming the part of one title. The only benefit is that you save three to six bucks a month. Getting all of your action in one place is nice, but it doesn’t seem to leave room in the spotlight for many.

The cover of this book instantly catches your eye, not only because it is beautiful, but because of who is on it. I have mentioned for…oh…about a year that I couldn’t believe all this cosmic stuff was happening and the person who should be involved in something this epic happening on his turf was M.I.A. So seeing Silver Surfer posed underneath the gaze of Thanos gives me instant gratification before I even open the book.

Other than the content of the story, the extra interview in the back gave me instant satisfaction as well. I have been calling this alternate reality the Cathulu-verse since we first got a peek in the fault. In the stories they call it the cancer-verse. I was giddy to see that the creators had also dubbed the area Catulu-verse. I must write them a letter to let them know that they did a great job with the writing and working with the writers to get that Lovecraftian feeling on the pages. (Now all I need is for comic historians and scholars to go along with me in calling it Earth 23.)

This issue is good enough that I can tell you that you are missing out if you haven’t read it. If you haven’t picked up your copy yet, rob a liquor store and go get it. (not really but you get the idea) We see the interactions between the Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos and get a quick understanding of how everybody feels about 1. Thanos existing again, and 2. What needs to be done about the fault.

I know that this story is going to continue to heat up because we are not only treated to Cathulu-verse’s Revengers, but a last page reveal of their realities Defenders. The best Defenders line up of course. (Dr Strange, Hulk, Valkyrie, Namor, Hulk, Hellcat, and Nighthawk.)

5 out of 5 Pentagrams

23The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:49 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#2 was fantastic. Looks like Aegis & Tenebrous were only mostly dead after Annihilation. It was great to see Thanos cut loose in the Cancerverse, as well as the GotG taking out it's Defenders, especially Cosmo vs. Cancer-Hulk. And having Namorita interact with Major Victory could prove interesting if she learns his identity. I'm lovin' it.

24The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:#2 was fantastic. Looks like Aegis & Tenebrous were only mostly dead after Annihilation. It was great to see Thanos cut loose in the Cancerverse, as well as the GotG taking out it's Defenders, especially Cosmo vs. Cancer-Hulk. And having Namorita interact with Major Victory could prove interesting if she learns his identity. I'm lovin' it.

Oh yeah fantastic issue! This is a true cosmic scale war. Shocked

And the art was MUCH improved over #1 I thought.

25The Thanos Imperative Empty Re: The Thanos Imperative Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:#2 was fantastic. Looks like Aegis & Tenebrous were only mostly dead after Annihilation. It was great to see Thanos cut loose in the Cancerverse, as well as the GotG taking out it's Defenders, especially Cosmo vs. Cancer-Hulk. And having Namorita interact with Major Victory could prove interesting if she learns his identity. I'm lovin' it.

Oh yeah fantastic issue! This is a true cosmic scale war. Shocked

And the art was MUCH improved over #1 I thought.

Man, I'm hating the art. I think they've got the completely wrong artist for this kind of story which surprises me because they've generally got the right guys drawing these books. However I find Sepulveda's art so dull and uninspiring it's just not capturing the full scope of the events that are happening in this story. Big thumbs down from me!!! thumbs down

I find myself far more interested in the Guardians side of the story than the Nova/Cosmic Entities side of things (I always get very bored when Cosmic Entities get involved in things - to see them physically fighting things always goes against the grain with me). Anyway, the Guardians stuff with Thanos is gold!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next