Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

DC Purists?

+10
rwe1138
Batman25JM
Administrator
Off_White_Lantern
G_Zatara
Jherek
Matt
shining knight
jaydee74
hrdwrkngXsoldier
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1DC Purists? Empty DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm doing a little write up on why people prefer the comic multi-verse that they do. I was wondering if there are any DC purist (meaning they don't read Marvel..idies are okay) on here that could answer a couple of questions. I know the other side of the story because I'm in that camp...just want to hear the other side of things.

2DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What kind of questions do you want to ask? I'd be up for it.

3DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

ditto

4DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

just looking for a list of reasons why you are a DC guy over Marvel primarily. YOu know character strength, writing quality, penis size, stuff like that.

5DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:just looking for a list of reasons why you are a DC guy over Marvel primarily. YOu know character strength, writing quality, penis size, stuff like that.

Well, when I got into comics over 30 years ago, I read both Marvel and DC. I continued reading both through to at least 10 years ago and for some reason, I just started getting less interested in Marvel. Captain America is the last book from Marvel I dropped mainly because I have no interest in the backup story in that book. Partly, it has to do with the amount of $3.99 books from Marvel. All of the DC books I get are still $2.99 which is cool. When it comes to Marvel though, I've been so out of the loop when it comes to that universe it's sort of like "out of sight, out of mind". I like Marvel and I will go see a movie with those characters and I may pick up the occasional back issue but I'm just not as interested in what's going on with Marvel as I am with DC. I guess it just boils down to I am more invested in DC.

6DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

I still read some Marvel books (Daredevil, X-factor and anything by Brubaker) but for the most part I'm a D.C. guy all the way. One of the main reasons I love D.C. for the sense of history. I really like the Idea of the Sidekicks pr the kids of super heroes growing up and take over for their mentors. Where as in Marvel I feel they kind of piss all over continuity and don't respect the past (i.e one more day). D.C. has a lot more of my favorite writers (Morrison, Johns, Robinson) Vertigo is a huge plus for me also Marvel has nothing like it. D.c also has a history of putting groundbreaking work like Watchman, Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Starman. In my opinion Marvel has never come close to publishing something of this caliber. I also don't care for the Marvel practice of relaunching books so they can raise the price to 3.99.

7DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

All the above. There is just something inherently 'coolly knowing' about DC whereas Marvel tends to try too hard to take itself seriously in a 'realistic' universe. It's telling that DC's characters still operate (mostly) in fictitious cities like Gotham, Metropolis etc. I like the whole Multiverse angle on continuity which gives us the chance to regard alternate versions of familiar characters or situations. Marvel has no real equivalent to this. I also feel DC has more of a take on the Mythic/Iconic level of Superheroics. DC's heroes are often a little more self aware in a post modern sense than Marvel's; both literally, (Ambush Bug, Psycho Pirate, Metal Men) or figuratively (The Supes/Bats/WW Trinity, the All Star/JSA Legacy). I'm not talking about 'Bwah Ha Ha!' irony more what Morrison has recently, in Batman and Robin, defined as 'Popcrime'. DC's characters perpetrate and/or fight 'Popcrime' where Marvel's tend more toward the darkly apocalyptic (Blackest Night notwithsanding). The Silver Age versions of the two companies were less apart in this respect.

8DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

For me, DC has always been home to my favorite characters. I love DC's "legacy" aspect where almost every franchise has a generational aspect to it like Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash. I also love that heroes are heroes in the sense that the good guys try their hardest to do what's right and don't cross the line. I am a fan of costumes and capes and secret identities and it's definitely something I am into when it comes to DC.

I also like that DC characters are not in real cities. It gives it a sense that the heroes a sense that they are all not close together. The one thing about Marvel I never understood was why all of their heroes had to be in New York. Everyone was based in New York from the Avengers to the Fantastic Four to Spider-Man and Daredevil. Even the X-Men were in upstate New York and Nova was from Long Island I believe. I mean, what idiot would even think about committing a crime in that city with all those heroes? It was kind of lame to me.

I enjoy the multiverse a lot. The reason is simple. With the multiverse, you can try different things with established characters without changing the character. Batman is Batman and you can't change who the character is but on Earth......I don't know 10, he can be a vampire or on Earth 23, he's a Green Lantern. You can do "What if?" type stories that don't screw with the continuity of who the character is at his or her core and I love those type of stories. I never understood why Marvel doesn't just accept they too have a multiverse. Isn't the Marvel Universe known as the "616 Universe"? Don't they have a "Ultimate Universe" and a "Noir Universe" and "M2" Universe and a "2099 Universe" and "Zombie Universe"? Wasn't there a thing in Fantastic Four where there was a "Council of Reed Richards" with the same character from different realities? It's ok to have a multiverse. It's fun.

When it comes right down to it, I enjoy the characters of DC more. My two all-time favorite characters in comics are Hal Jordan and Dick Grayson. My top five favorite characters in comics are DC characters. It's not that I don't enjoy Marvel characters but I think I enjoyed Marvel back in the day (70's, 80's and some of the 90's). It's just preference I guess. I do enjoy the DC talent more at the moment than I do Marvel although I do love Ed Brubaker and Greg Pak. In the end though, there is just something that DC Comics offers that I enjoy more.

9DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:33 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I guess I find the irony that somebody would consider themself a DC purist who has a Marvel avatar and signature. Laughing

10DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:40 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

G_Zatara wrote:I guess I find the irony that somebody would consider themself a DC purist who has a Marvel avatar and signature. Laughing
What can I say? I like Kermit the Frog and Kermit the Frog as Thor is awesome. Would I have loved a Green Lantern Kermit the Frog? That would have rocked and if I ever find one, that will be my new avatar. However, if you consider all of my avatars that I've had since being on the board, it's either been of Hal Jordan or Dick Grayson. As for my signature, it's just a cool Spidey picture.

11DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Marvel is $4 DC is $3 for starters.

I have always liked the DC characters better. Batman and Superman will always be the best.

The comics and movies Marvel puts out are marketed to kids (years before Disney bought them) and Im not a kid.

DC has Vertigo which makes whatever Marvel event going on at all times look silly.

The fact that Disney does own them. I hate Disney with a passion.

The movies are not even close. Dark Knight and Begins blows anything away Marvel put out in the last decade. I also like the fact that DC takes chances and makes adult comic movies like V, Watchmen and Constantine. The only adult movie Marvel put out was that horrid Punisher 2.

Oh and Geoff Johns is the best and at DC.

12DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:02 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Off_White_Lantern wrote:
DC has Vertigo which makes whatever Marvel event going on at all times look silly.

What does Vertigo has to do with Marvel's events? Why not compare it to MAX or Icon, and DC's events to Marvel's events? Your comparison fails to make any point, IMO.

Obviously you preferred DC over Marvel way before the Disney purchase, so that's been a "problem" only for less than a year. What makes Disney any different than, say, Warner Bros?

---

I've been a Marvel devotee ever since I started reading American comic books (the mid-late '90s) and up until three years ago. Although I've read DC titles here and there over the years, I've became an actual follower only by 2003-04. I kept considering myself more of a Marvel fan than DC's, but the lines between the publishers started to fade. I completely stopped buying comics by summer '07 and a couple of months later got back to reading (for free, via my Wizard gig or illegally). I couldn't really get back into the X-Men, JLA or whatever books I've been following in the past. By the end of 2009/beginning of 2010 I've stopped following both companies regularly (other than the occasional non-Marvel Universe stuff like the Wizard of Oz books, or Vertigo). To me, they're one and the same and people are fool for claiming one is worst than the other, or the other way around.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

13DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:14 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:To me, they're one and the same and people are fool for claiming one is worst than the other, or the other way around.
I agree with you up to a certain point. I think the characters in the two companies make for different reading experiences. Also, the way the two universes are set up and how the characters are written make for different experiences. Think of it like this. Don't you think that "Civil War" done in the DC Universe would have a much different feel than it had in the Marvel Universe just as "Identity Crisis" would have had a different feel if done at Marvel? I'm not saying one is better than the other. That would just be stupid in my opinion. I do have a preference and when it comes down to it, DC has my favorite characters and that's why I prefer DC.

14DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not a DC purist, though right now I am enjoying more DC books than Marvel books.

My two favorite comic characters are DC characters. They would be Bruce Wayne and Tim Drake. And of my next two favorites one is DC (my next two favorites are Daredevil and Dick Grayson).

Off_White_Lantern wrote:Marvel is $4 DC is $3 for starters.

This reason (that I see a lot) won't be valid soon. Pretty much all comics are going to go to $3.99, including DC books.

Off_White_Lantern wrote:
The comics and movies Marvel puts out are marketed to kids (years before Disney bought them) and Im not a kid.

I don't agree with this at all. Not even a little.

Tomer Soiker wrote:To me, they're one and the same and people are fool for claiming one is worst than the other, or the other way around.

Despite still loving stuff from both, I do agree. They are pretty much the same. The big differences that others claim, IMO, are just them fighting for which one they like more.

15DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Marvel and DC are one and the same by the way the companies are being run from top to bottom: A comic book publishers owned by business people who only want to make more money. Comic books and characters are the basics, the merchandise, toys, movies etc. are where the real money lies.

As for switching events and storyilnes: IF Brad Meltzer would've taken Identity Crisis to Marvel things would've been different a bit, character-wise and possibly some plot, but the heart of the story? Not at all. Same with Mark Millar's Civil War. The heroes would've still been divided by a stupid, fascist law and some characters would've died. Villains would've been used by whoever represented the law and someone would've ultimately used it for their own agenda to later take over... something. The story and main idea would still be the same.

Think about it like alternate timelines. In one Peter Parker's uncle Ben dies, in the other his aunt May dies. In both he gains arachnid superpowers. The nature of their death is similar. No matter what path he chooses afterwards, he would still become Spider-Man somehow. His story won't change, but parts of it would be different in either reality.

16DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Batman25JM wrote:I'm not a DC purist, though right now I am enjoying more DC books than Marvel books.

My two favorite comic characters are DC characters. They would be Bruce Wayne and Tim Drake. And of my next two favorites one is DC (my next two favorites are Daredevil and Dick Grayson).
You really love street-level, vigilante, hand-to-hand fighters, don't you? Very Happy

17DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Marvel and DC are one and the same by the way the companies are being run from top to bottom: A comic book publishers owned by business people who only want to make more money. Comic books and characters are the basics, the merchandise, toys, movies etc. are where the real money lies.

As for switching events and storyilnes: IF Brad Meltzer would've taken Identity Crisis to Marvel things would've been different a bit, character-wise and possibly some plot, but the heart of the story? Not at all. Same with Mark Millar's Civil War. The heroes would've still been divided by a stupid, fascist law and some characters would've died. Villains would've been used by whoever represented the law and someone would've ultimately used it for their own agenda to later take over... something. The story and main idea would still be the same.

Think about it like alternate timelines. In one Peter Parker's uncle Ben dies, in the other his aunt May dies. In both he gains arachnid superpowers. The nature of their death is similar. No matter what path he chooses afterwards, he would still become Spider-Man somehow. His story won't change, but parts of it would be different in either reality.

Agreed on all points.

Tomer Soiker wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:I'm not a DC purist, though right now I am enjoying more DC books than Marvel books.

You really love street-level, vigilante, hand-to-hand fighters, don't you? Very Happy

Yes, yes I really really do. Very Happy

18DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:58 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:As for switching events and storyilnes: IF Brad Meltzer would've taken Identity Crisis to Marvel things would've been different a bit, character-wise and possibly some plot, but the heart of the story? Not at all. Same with Mark Millar's Civil War. The heroes would've still been divided by a stupid, fascist law and some characters would've died. Villains would've been used by whoever represented the law and someone would've ultimately used it for their own agenda to later take over... something. The story and main idea would still be the same.

But that's what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about the overall point of the story being different. I was talking about the little things that would have made the stories different depending on whether you did it in DC or Marvel. I agree with you when it comes to the corporate standpoint. Both are owned by pretty big companies and both want to make profits. In that, there is basically no difference.

I think Marvel is a bit better at pimping out their stories than DC a bit with Joe Q. making appearances on The Colbert Report and whatnot. I'm not sure if DC had an Obama special anything but for the most part, from a business aspect, both companies are more or less the same.

19DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

The problem with DC, as suggested in the past by Kerouac (from our own experience with the industry), is that it's not open to the public like Marvel is. Marvel's PR dept. is everywhere and you can fell it. DC is not cooperative as much, or just chooses a few selected websites/journalists to collaborate with. It's just the company's policy. I hope that the the new regime will change it and realize what Marvel realized many years ago.

Obviously the publisher doesn't lose much over this, but eventually it may hurt it. Then again, sometimes too much openness can also hurt, as seen by Tom Brevoort's big mouth.

20DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I remember something involving Tom Brevoort, but I'm completely blanking on what went down. What happened?

21DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

A lot...

22DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Tomer Soiker wrote:
Off_White_Lantern wrote:

What does Vertigo has to do with Marvel's events? Why not compare it to MAX or Icon, and DC's events to Marvel's events? Your comparison fails to make any point, IMO.

Obviously you preferred DC over Marvel way before the Disney purchase, so that's been a "problem" only for less than a year. What makes Disney any different than, say, Warner Bros?

---

I've been a Marvel devotee ever since I started reading American comic books (the mid-late '90s) and up until three years ago. Although I've read DC titles here and there over the years, I've became an actual follower only by 2003-04. I kept considering myself more of a Marvel fan than DC's, but the lines between the publishers started to fade. I completely stopped buying comics by summer '07 and a couple of months later got back to reading (for free, via my Wizard gig or illegally). I couldn't really get back into the X-Men, JLA or whatever books I've been following in the past. By the end of 2009/beginning of 2010 I've stopped following both companies regularly (other than the occasional non-Marvel Universe stuff like the Wizard of Oz books, or Vertigo). To me, they're one and the same and people are fool for claiming one is worst than the other, or the other way around.

C'mon u really have no idea why people hate Disney??? you're really comparing Disney to Warner Bros.? Really? Do a Google search Disney and hate there u will find a million reasons why people dislike Disney. And no not just all the gag inducing Disney channel bullshit everywhere.

And there are major differences in the companies. The movies have taken over and should be a focus since thats where the companies are making the money. Marvel throws out movies with toy lines all the time. Theres no comparison between the companies when it comes to quality in tv and movies. There were shit movies by DC and Marvel but the Batmans were easily the best from the huge batch of movies that have been made in the last decade. TV has only had Smallville which has become one of the most successful sci-fi shows of all time.

I just prefer DC and its pretty obvious that DC focuses on adults while Marvel sticks to an all ages format that is sometimes sickening (Human Torch creating a hot tub, Peter strutting and dancing in Spidey 3, Daredevil and Electra fighting...)too much camp makes them goofy and there seems to be that eye rolling crap in almost all their movies.

23DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:55 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

jaydee74 wrote:Would I have loved a Green Lantern Kermit the Frog? That would have rocked and if I ever find one, that will be my new avatar.
DC Purists? 180px-Green_lantern

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

24DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:43 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Would I have loved a Green Lantern Kermit the Frog? That would have rocked and if I ever find one, that will be my new avatar.
DC Purists? 180px-Green_lantern
Shocked

I think I love you a little bit.

25DC Purists? Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^I remember something involving Tom Brevoort, but I'm completely blanking on what went down. What happened?

Follow him on twitter or friend him on Facebook where he posts all of his tweets and you'll get what Tomer is talking about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum