Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

New guy's art stuff

+3
FroZen
Lee
Jamesabels
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hey, if you're doing work for Rusty, why are you not at the Superfly Art shows???

Or are you and I just didn't realize it? Very Happy

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

27New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Long story, thought it was the 21st but I think that is the book fair, got those mixed up Sad I can still roll out if there is a demand for my presence but don't want to make a trip if it's wrapping up. I'm about 20 so minutes away.

28New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well hell. I've been at the last ones with my other half. I could have met another member of the Pop!ulation. Sad

Sadly we'll be moved before the next one so I won't be there. Sad I consider it a missed opportunity. Sad Very sad. Sad

Seriously though, as an amateur colorist how would one go about getting themselves noticed for paying work? Very Happy

I've done some stuff for friends but I've taken a break from it because of the move and such but I love playing in Photoshop, it' stupidly relaxing to me.

29New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:Well hell. I've been at the last ones with my other half. I could have met another member of the Pop!ulation. Sad

Sadly we'll be moved before the next one so I won't be there. Sad I consider it a missed opportunity. Sad Very sad. Sad

Seriously though, as an amateur colorist how would one go about getting themselves noticed for paying work? Very Happy

I've done some stuff for friends but I've taken a break from it because of the move and such but I love playing in Photoshop, it' stupidly relaxing to me.

Yea I feel kinda shitty for not rolling out there but had some work I had to catch up on since the power was out Sad. Also had some random ex g/f drama all up in here.

I'll be around the shop and hopefully the book fair to give them dudes some more money when I get paid.

Forums are a good way to get better, Digital Webbing and Gutter zombie are usually pretty busy but the crits can be tough. Most people around there have been full time colorist's for 15 or 20 years.

I'm still fresh meat, been into it about a year now. The Hifi color for comics books are pretty decent but I don't like to live by them because they teach one way of doing things. They are great for super heros but if you want to start at say IDW or something they usually have a wider range of styles.

Also I started by "flatting" pages, if your familiar with flatting than you can go to gutter zombie with some pages you've done and you might score some work, once your in and work for a few months you can start dropping your work in front of the colorist your working for and get some advice.

Also if a colorist turns down work and knows thier flatter can also color they might give you some work. Also submissions are nice and all but knowing someone who knows and editor is a much faster way to break in. I'm guessing they resort to blind portfolios when none of their trusted contacts know someone looking for work.

Other than that, google comic coloring, search all the video sites like vimeo and you tube, subscribe to the podcast's Sidebar and Ifanboy's Talksplode to search their archives for colorist interviews, submit to deviant art and get a little following. When I put up something new I have a few regulars that just favorite most everything I do, I very often email inkers and ask them if they can give me some pages or pin ups to color. Deviant art is a nice place to find inks as well.

Lol this is really HUGE but it is a lot of work, but I think the most important thing is to just color your ass off, lol.

Also light source is very important, I'm a year in and still just kind of getting it sometimes, but once you have that nailed than your good to go.

30New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:54 am

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Awesome. Very Happy I've got links with some artists. A couple of the guys (including Andy) who've been at the show have discussed allowing me to play with some of their work.

I enjoy it, I've read through the Hi-fi book... it's alright but I've also gone through the DC guide to coloring and lettering too.

I just need to devote more time to it.... and get the damned wacom off of HIS computer and onto mine. His chair isn't comfy for the hours I often spend in front of the computer playing.

If we're still in town I may see you at the book fair... of course if it's next weekend I may be at CCC... who knows.

31New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 am

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Hrmm, If you need a second tablet I have a Bamboo that is about a year old, works great and I just bought a new pen for it, I upgraded to an Intious 4 so it's just sitting here. I have my eye on a Criminal hardcover at superfly, I might be able to sell it to you pretty cheap to soften the blow I'm going to take on that book... I think I paid 80 for it and 40 for a new pen (the other got stuck in the down position) could prolly let it go for like 40 bucks or something.

32New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 am

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just bought a bran new Intuous 4... it was plugged into his computer, but he's put it away for now. I'm just too tired to retrieve it from his man cave. Very Happy

33New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:31 am

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Ahh I got ya, been a weird day for me, woke up in the dark and it's been off beat ever since, need to try to get 8 or 9 hours of sleep tonight, and hope the power learns how not to suck :/

Also got this done about 4am, was up all night doing it but I love it!

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 41139_424125977174_505607174_5389867_5584430_n

34New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

WOW! Awesome

35New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 am

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Forgot to add my newest and best Sad

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 The_Batman_by_jamesabels

36New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 am

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

Been busy making teh $$ but here is a Happy Holloween image dump!

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Redangelcovpreviewja

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 First_published_colors_by_jamesabels-d30a0ge

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 My_take_on_a_Detresse_Cover_by_jamesabels

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Spawn_by_jamesabels

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Wonder_Woman_44_Page_22_by_jamesabels

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Booster_Gold_33_Page_18_by_jamesabels

New guy's art stuff - Page 2 My_influence_map_by_jamesabels-d312wrj

37New guy's art stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: New guy's art stuff Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:35 am

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nice I saw this on DA

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum