Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

new comics=no new and original ideas?

+2
BlueMaxx
tstrike99
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1new comics=no new and original ideas? Empty new comics=no new and original ideas? Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:37 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I recently picked up a UK magazine called Comic Heroes from my local bookstore. I must confess that I got it for the free stuff that came with it, as it was an $18 purchase(I'm assuming some kind of markup from lbs)Anyway, there is a very interesting article about the future of comics given by none other than Alan Moore. According to Moore, there hasn't been any real progression in comics as a medium since 1985. He states that all the recent and current stories are all the same things that we've seen in the past, because they are not written by real writers, but by fans. Now I've been behind on comics for a few years now, but I don't think that all we've seen is re-tells and retcons. I realize that Moore is a little off the wall so I can take what he says with a grain of salt. (I think he's nuts) My question here is: does anyone else here feel the same way? Are comics really a thing of the past and something that is only done by the fans? Have Marvel and DC really put a stop to creative stories coming out for the past 25 years?

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Whoa, no. Alan Moore, in his eccentric grandeur, sometimes talks out of his ass. I'm a fan of the guys writing, but he can be egotistically biting when talking about entertainment. Especially others' work. He hates movies, he hates television, he hates music, and now he hates literature, his medium. Sigh. Fantastic, Mr. Moore. And we get it. You don't like things that you don't write. *gives "OK" hand sign to the screen with a goofy face*

Now, rant over.

Superhero books are always going to have that aspect of similarity with stories, but you can't make the sweeping statement that they're all the same rehashed idea. That'd be like me saying his reinvention of the Swamp Thing was done as the basis of Marvel's Man-Thing. This man of science has an accident and eventually evolves into an elemental of the fantastical. Pretty much becoming becoming a concept of plant life and the world's environment. Already been done, Mr. Moore. (OK, maybe rants not over. Heh.) Let's not forget about Charlton's Sentinels of Justice...er...Watchmen, right? Rolling Eyes The guy has made a lot of his career on taking someone elses thing and making it "his" and only his. It's silly for him to say that.

3new comics=no new and original ideas? Empty Re: new comics=no new and original ideas? Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Ok good. At least I'm not the only one rolling my eyes at his statements! I mean Geoff Johns and Mark Millar are "real" writers in my book! not just fans

Parallax_48

Parallax_48
Cadet
Cadet

tstrike99 wrote:Ok good. At least I'm not the only one rolling my eyes at his statements! I mean Geoff Johns and Mark Millar are "real" writers in my book! not just fans

It's obvious that Geoff Johns was a huge fan of comics (there was that whole letter from Superboy where he wrote in and said that he though SB should be a clone of Lex Luthor, and then made it happen years later when he was writing the character). But he is a full-fledged writer. I mean, he took a few lines from an obscure Alan Moore-written Green Lantern Corps story and turned it into Blackest Night (which in my book is the one of the finest crossover DC might ever have done).

5new comics=no new and original ideas? Empty Re: new comics=no new and original ideas? Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:58 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Everything sucked after Watchmen.

Parallax_48

Parallax_48
Cadet
Cadet

I loved Supreme and then the bottom fell out. Sad

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

They still make way too much shit I know that. With comics being three or four dollars each Im a little shocked that theres a market for all that crap thats out there. I generally get a few comics each month and buy lots of comics off Ebay. I bought the Blackest Night comics and spinoffs from Ebay for a fraction of the $4 each. I also did this with Final Crisis and several other events.

The best comics are Vertigo. Everyone else is trying and trying to make Superheroes different but there are a ton of stories that are the same over and over again. All the "death of" comics are completely useless and drive more people from comics than they bring over.

Theres a lot of great stuff that came out after 1985 thats for sure. Right now comics companies make a itsy bitsy bit of their profits from comic books. Most of their money comes from films and television projects.

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah,
He's just crazy.
comicgeekelly wrote:Everything sucked after Watchmen.
Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum