Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite lesser-known comics

+9
BlueMaxx
G_Zatara
rwe1138
Heytherejeffro
prescribeddrone
comicgeekelly
Batman25JM
Tomer Soiker
Kelson
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Kelson

Kelson
Cadet
Cadet

Today, a group of comics bloggers has gotten together to recommend lesser-known gems of the comics world. Comics are more than Brightest Day and Heroic Age, and you just might want to...read this too!

Favorite lesser-known comics Banner-thistoo-500

• Adam Strange at It's A Dan's World
  • American Vampire at Doom Patrol
  • Astro City at Speed Force
  • Booster Gold and Zatanna at Red Tornado's Path
  • Essential Man-Thing at Firestorm Fan
  • Forgetless at Girls Gone Geek
  • Franklin Richards digests at Once Upon a Geek
  • Glamourpuss at Being Carter Hall
  • Peter David's Hulk at Fortress of Baileytude
  • Jonah Hex at Boosterrific
  • Scott Pilgrim at Toyriffic
  • Son of Tomahawk and Thor the Mighty Avenger at Aquaman Shrine
  • Spelljammer at HeroPress
  • Spire Christian Comics: In His Steps at Mail It To Team-Up
  • Strange Science Fantasy at Siskoid's Blog of Geekery
  • R.E.B.E.L.S. at Indigo Tribe
  • The Unwritten at K-Squared Ramblings
  • Welcome to Tranquility at Girls Gone Geek

What are some of your favorite lesser-known (or at least lesser-read) comics?

http://speedforce.org/

2Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Tomer Soiker

Tomer Soiker
Former Member of the Royal PoP! Order
Former Member of the Royal PoP! Order

Most of these are still very mainstream.

http://spidey82.wordpress.com

3Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can't really think of any lesser know comics that I read. The only two that come to mind are Spider-Girl and The Irredeemable Ant-Man, and I wouldn't even call those lesser known, they just didn't sell well.

4Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Elephantmen

Read it!

5Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There's probably a few lesser know books for me every now and then but nothing super unknown. I know there are a ton of books that don't get recognition but I'm sorry I don't want to have to buy even more books and get sucked into more series, I'm content with my monthly comics to a point where what I normally get entertains me enough that I don't seek more stuff to read at this point.

Besides that, um Tales of TMNT and TMNT vol 4 were good books. Yes, the TMNT are popular but the books sold jack-shit and they were really good.

6Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Who is this "Scott Pilgrim" that you speak of?

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

7Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:46 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Anything I've written a Hidden Gem about. We have a main site too, you know. Wink

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

8Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, most of those are pretty out in open.

9Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It is kind of subjective. There's comic fans out there that probably don't know that there's a vast amount of non-superhero titles.

Kelson wrote:
What are some of your favorite lesser-known (or at least lesser-read) comics?
Current stuff:
The Perhapanauts
I Zombie

Everything else I get may seem well known. Unwritten is critically acclaimed, so I'm not sure if that should've been listed. But, again, subjective.

Way too many back-issues to list, but here's some gems, IMO:
User (Vertigo)
Luna Bros.: Girls (Image)
Ultra (Image)
Heavy Liquid (Vertigo)
Black Hole (Kitchen Sink/Fantagraphics)

I like many more, but I like them and am not sure if I can make a general must-read for everyone else.

10Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Kelson

Kelson
Cadet
Cadet

Yeah, maybe "less popular" would have been a better description than "lesser-known."

On the other hand, this morning I got a comment from someone who has been reading comics forever, but had never heard of The Unwritten.

Once you step outside of the big names at Marvel and DC, the number of people actually reading stuff goes *way* down.

http://speedforce.org/

11Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

I just did a review of Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and the Ghastly Fiend of London.

I like a lot of lesser known books. Sometimes they turn into hits, like Chew.

12Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can't recommend Terry Moore's Echo enough but you really need to pick it up from the beginning if you're going to check it out.

13Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children by Piranha Press. you can probably find them all in quarter bins.

14Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

Nextwave anyone? http://panelsonpages.com/?p=28803

15Favorite lesser-known comics Empty Re: Favorite lesser-known comics Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 pm

jestghost

jestghost
Pirate
Pirate

Sorrow written by Rick Remender and Seth Peck in 2007. It was a limited series 1-4.
Favorite lesser-known comics Sorrow_01

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum