Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

first comic-con experience or horror con if that's your thing.

+8
Off_White_Lantern
goatt
Joshua
potatojoe
Denim
Captain Painway
WonderWoman2.0
kidspider2099
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

what was your first comic-con? Mine was this little hole in the wall convention it was in Seattle. I had my parents take me( i was in high school still) It was fun I didn't stay super long.

My first more offical con was the Emerald city comic-con. I went in 2005. (it started in 2003 I missed the first con cause i found about after the fact and i missed the second due to my appendix rupturing shortly before) It's an awesome con and growing every year. It's great con to start with one of these days i'll make it san deigo.

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

C2E2 last year. I got my tax return so I bought a ticket and walked around the convention, and then because I'm super full of myself, I went to compete in the Fangirl of the Month panel hosted by a bunch of crazy bastards from this site called Panels on Pages. For reasons that remain mysterious to me, they actually liked me and let me hang around with them...and then strip clubs and drunken shenanigans followed. It was like...the best weekend ever.

http://effyeahmegwhite.tumblr.com/

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My first con was Star Wars Celebration V this past July. I've been to three more since then, and it's a toss-up between that one and NYCC as my favorite.

http://likeitderby.com

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

First con was way back in like 1987. The building was the same building in Rosemont, but this was years before Wizard bought the show. I took the train by myself there and only went for one day. It was that day that I truly became a happy teenager, after years of being picked on for being diffeernt from the other kids, I felt at home. I talked comics all day with several differnt kids my own age and had a place now. Have not missed a con since then.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Denim wrote:First con was way back in like 1987. The building was the same building in Rosemont, but this was years before Wizard bought the show. I took the train by myself there and only went for one day. It was that day that I truly became a happy teenager, after years of being picked on for being diffeernt from the other kids, I felt at home. I talked comics all day with several differnt kids my own age and had a place now. Have not missed a con since then.

That's how i feel about comic cons too. You walk to one for the first time and think here is room full of people just like me. Which is totally awesome.

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wizard World Chicago 2003 was my first con. I walked out onto the floor and was in Nerdvana! I couldn't believe the amount of vendors this place had. It was huge! I loved seeing all the displays that Marvel, DC and Mattel had. The people in costumes were amazing! The convention stank was overpowering! I was in love.

I think I have a con addiction. I've been to 10 cons alone this year. Laughing

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

An RV show in 1989 in Washington.

goatt

goatt
Pirate
Pirate

Mine was this bullshit thing called C2E2, or some shit like that. I dunno, all I know is, I didn't have any fun, I met a whole bunch of people I didn't like, and I was sober as a freakin bird the entire weekend.........

........ actually.... thats all lies. Well, except the C2E2 being my first con part. That much is true. Laughing

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Star Wars celebration 2 and 3 in Indianapolis Indiana were my first two conventions. I have since went to Horrorhound and Wizard World Chicago several times. The Horror conventions are much better than the comic cons for a few reasons. The traffic and parking is much easier in Indy for Horror Hound, the actors charge reasonable prices and seem to enjoy their fans unlike many at Wizard world and they do a better job of getting casts together for these cons.

The comic cons are all about milking as much money from fans as possible. When some of the actors charge $50 or more and want additional money for a photo thats just sad.

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Horrorhound was my first horror con. Horror shows can be more fun at times for me because of the movie screenings, the drinking and the fact that my friends will actually go to Horror shows. Very Happy

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:Star Wars celebration 2 and 3 in Indianapolis Indiana were my first two conventions. I have since went to Horrorhound and Wizard World Chicago several times. The Horror conventions are much better than the comic cons for a few reasons. The traffic and parking is much easier in Indy for Horror Hound, the actors charge reasonable prices and seem to enjoy their fans unlike many at Wizard world and they do a better job of getting casts together for these cons.

The comic cons are all about milking as much money from fans as possible. When some of the actors charge $50 or more and want additional money for a photo thats just sad.

potatojoe wrote:Horrorhound was my first horror con. Horror shows can be more fun at times for me because of the movie screenings, the drinking and the fact that my friends will actually go to Horror shows. Very Happy

Horrorhound we must all meet up!!!!!!

Horrorhound was my first convention. I still love that con I go to it every year.

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mine was recently.. and it was nice?

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

HeroesCon '94. Still have the program.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

How did I miss this thread?

My first real convention experience (i.e., not a comic book swap meet billed as a convention) was a Star Trek convention held in my hometown. My gaming group got wind of its occurrence, and decided to attend en masse. The guests were Mark Leonard (Sarek) and Robin Curtis (Saavik in Star Trek III). Both were highly entertaining speakers, but the reason I'll always remember it is Robin Curtis.

I've always been a Saavik fan. The idea of a Vulcan/Romulan hybrid is, to me, even more intriguing than the Human/Vulcan pedigree of Spock. And I thought that Robin Curtis was a much better Saavik than Kirstie Alley by leaps and bounds. So, I was kind of excited to hear her speak. All during her Q&A, my friend kept threatening to raise his hand and say something to embarrass me. Being younger and less sure of myself, I was horrified at the thought of being humiliated in front of an actress whose work I really enjoyed. (I still get star struck, but not as bad.)

Later, after the Q&A and before her signing session, we were sitting outside near the snack bar and who should walk by but Ms. Curtis herself and her female companion. Immediately, my friend says he's going to go over there and meet her and tell her how star struck I am. My blood goes cold as he stands and makes his way over, saying loudly, 'Miss Curtis? Miss Curtis?'

So, I'm sitting there with my heart in my throat, my best friend is sitting next to me howling with laughter as my other friend speaks to Robin Curtiss, and is gesticulating wildly in my direction. And of course, she's looking right at me. So, I drag myself off the bench and ease closer, just knowing that she thinks I'm some crazy fan, and I'm starting to wonder myself. But, she turned out to be very nice, and very friendly, and we had a nice little chat before she had to go get ready to sign pictures.

Another interesting note: When ST3 came out, my sister went to an appearance of James Doohan at the mall. When he signed her picture, he asked her name, and when she told him, he said 'I have a daughter with that name,' which thrilled her no end. When I was getting pictures signed, I got one from Mark Leonard for my sister, and told him her name. He immediately replied, 'That's the same name as Jimmy Doohan's daughter. That's kind of cool.'

And it was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum