Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Event Overload?

+4
blue halo
Metal Misfit
rwe1138
alucardbarnivous
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Event Overload? Empty Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:15 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

With Marvel's Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and War of Kings and DC's seeming unending parade of Final Crisis, is the market overloaded with event driven material? Is that a bad thing?

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

2Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:14 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Eh, as long as it's good, I'll read it.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

3Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:58 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:Eh, as long as it's good, I'll read it.

I mostly agree with that. Although, I hate when you got to buy supplimental books to know what's going on in the main book. Like with Superman: Sacrifice for Infinite Crisis or Superman: Beyond for Final Crisis.

4Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Personally, I got tired of it, it's a big reason I quit buying comics right before SI & FC.

I like the sense of a comic universe heading in one direction to something big happening, but I personally don't like that the "big happening" takes place every year. There's so many events and crossovers going on at any given month, I think heroes should be allowed to breathe and their books should focus on their own city, villains and supporting characters. Of course, any book that isn't involved in any event seems to be constantly in jeopardy of getting canceled... so I know I'm in the minority. tongue

Last edited by Metal Misfit on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

5Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

alucardbarnivous wrote:
I mostly agree with that. Although, I hate when you got to buy supplimental books to know what's going on in the main book. Like with Superman: Sacrifice for Infinite Crisis or Superman: Beyond for Final Crisis.

Yeah, that should absolutely NEVER happen. If you're going through the trouble of having some big universe shaking mini-series, let it all go in the actual mini-series. Anything else should add to the story, but not be necessary. I know DC has said they're doing that, but from what I've heard, that's not exactly the case.

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

6Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:05 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Metal Misfit wrote:Personally, I got tired of it, it's a big reason I quit buying comics right before SI & FC.

I like the sense of a comic universe heading in one direction to something big happening, but I personally don't like that the "big happening" takes place every year. There's so many events and crossovers going on at any given month, I think heroes should be allowed to breathe and their books should focus on their own city, villains and supporting characters. Of course, any book that isn't involved in any event seems to be constantly in jeopardy of getting canceled... so I know I'm in the minority. tongue

Laughing

7Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Kind of getting tired with it. They should go back to how it was a few years ago, and only do a big event thing once in a while. Otherwise, if it's all the time, and even drags on for a year until the next one, its not an "event" to me anymore.

8Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Looking at how the industry's going, it would appear events are here to stay lest risk sinking.

9Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't mind the events so much as I hate how hyped they are. I don't think either of the big two need the landscape of their universe changed every year. I can only read, "The DC/Marvel Universe will never be the same again!" before my eyes glaze over and I stop giving a shit. Another problem that I have with events is that more often than not they are editorially driven, rather than story driven. I think Didio and Quesada have both done good for their respective companies, but I think they've both done a lot of bad for comics in general. In the end, I could care less about events because I stopped even trying to read the major ones a few years back.

10Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardbarnivous wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:Eh, as long as it's good, I'll read it.

Well you technically cant compare those two sacrifice was an unrelated miniseries in a comic seperate of infinite crisis while beyond at least was always mentioned as part of final crisis

if you want a series guilty of this then theres amazons attack as said in atop the forth wall when you have a wonder woman series which only has wonder woman in it for two pages you know you are in trouble

when in the trade you have text pages explaining important plot points not covered in the main story you are humped quite frankly

11Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:01 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yes and no. It sells books apparently. Most likely the splurge buyer. Not to be black and white about. I'm just think it's the people jumping back into comics from a long time hiatus, reinvigorated interest because of the films, and they feel the need to buy up to catch up? (Guessing.) Plus, whether the polls are solid or not, a lot more kids are starting to read comics again, and that's part of it. Kids are easy with comics. I was. "Ooo, Punisher's on this cover." With TDK, "Batman on this cover?! SOLD!", you know?

As for me, I'm not up for the 4 Final Crisis miniseries, althought they look intriguing, and I couldn't care any less about Dark Reign and all that junk.

12Event Overload? Empty Re: Event Overload? Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tired of it.
I won't read them, and have dropped/not picked up a lot of regular titles because of them.

Ms. Marvel being an example, i hate how new series are hampered by all these events, not letting the writer find a good flow of hi/her own.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum