Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bill Willingham and Me

+2
krpykrwly
Administrator
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bill Willingham and Me Empty Bill Willingham and Me Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I mentioned this months ago when it was announced that Bill Willingham will be the guest of honor in a local sci-fi/fantasy con. Last month my LCS, Comikaza also published that he'll wrap his visit in Israel with signing at the store and today was the day. Once again, I've defeated Dave.

Pictures here:
https://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/spidey_82/BillWillingham_Sep_9_2009/?albumview=slideshow
(It begins with one of the photos of me at the table, because originally it didn't upload and now it ruins the contuinuity of this slideshow...)

First, we were "kicked out" right before Willingham arrived at 12PM and waited for our numbers to be called (I was #21).
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909001
In the bottom right you can see the package of a 45" (I think) Red Skull statue. The statue itself been featured in a glass closet for long months after it was damaged a bit during a shipment and the person who ordered didn't want the statue. I wonder why no one else buys a statue of a character wearing Nazi symbols here in Israel.

Willingham was a bit late, but eventually he arrived. Next to him is the owner of the store, Yossi.
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909007

I waited 15-20 minutes outside before I was called to join the line inside the store. From there I took couple more pictures of Willingham.
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909015

BTW, in the slideshow/album there's one picture of Willingham signing and Yossi (seen from behind) standing over him. It was taken by brother, who seems to have an untapped natural skills in photographing, unlike my blurry pics. You can also see the aforementioned Red Skull statue in the back.
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909008

And this is me getting my stuff signed.
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909016
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909017
(I know, I look dumb in these pics.)

When I got to the table I tried to be less nerdy and shy than I was 3 years ago when Neil Gaiman had a signing at Comikaza. During most of the signing next to Willingham stood Ziv, a former employee of the store, a writer, lecturer and the man who accompanied Willingham to the store. I haven't seen him in couple of years and he seemed very enthusiast when he saw me. When I got the table, he said to Willingham: "This is Tomer and he's buying everything in the store!" and I replied with "Eh... Haven't been doing that for a long time..."

Next, Willingham turned to me and started saying something apropos of nothing, that sounded to me like: "I'm in this point of my career that I no longer knows which titles I should drop," while holding my books. I had no idea what he was referring to and just continued. He then asked me something about Fables, I think if I was a long-time reader. I relied that I just recently started reading it and that I'm a fairly new follower of the series. He signed on my copy of Shadowpact #1 and then on Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile.

Last, Willingham held my copy of Batman Begins: The Movie and Other Tales of the Dark Knight. I said that it collects Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #168, the last story featured in the trade. He flipped to the last page and signed. Before going, I said that I had a Scottish friend named Dave who's a huge fan of Fables and his, and I was shocked when Willingham replied: "Hot damn, I hate them Scots!!" He thanked me for coming, I replied with a "Thanks" and seeing others doing that before me, I reached my hand to shake Willingham's hand and went out.

These are my signed books:
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909018
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909020
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909021
Bill Willingham and Me Bill_Willingham_Sep909022

As you can see, I had the same themed signature with a word bubble with my name in it. I don't know what others got or if they asked for anything special, but probably it's partially my fault for not asking for anything. I'm glad I got my books signed anyway, though.

[Note: The part with me mentioning Dave and Bill Willingham saying he hates the Scottish people is completely made up.]

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:35 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic.

I wub those word balloons.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

3Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Yeah... after getting home I looked back at who he attached the balloons to and I don't know if there wasn't any hidden cryptic message. A pig, a demon and a beaten thug. Spoiler to Fables Vol. 2:
Spoiler:
I'm scared...

4Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Very cool!

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

5Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:05 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Note: The part with me mentioning Dave and Bill Willingham saying he hates the Scottish people is completely made up.]

well yeah I talk to him a lot on the clockwork storybook board Laughing

Still jealous you got to meet him though

6Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:53 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky guy. I hate you. Heh.

7Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:43 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Where's the pic of Bill Willingham with the PoP! Logo? Have you uploaded that one yet, Tomer?

8Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I don't have the PoP! logo. If I'd make my own sign with the tools and cutting skills I have, we'll lose traffic.

I could have printed a logo on a b&w A4 paper, but that'd have looked lame.

9Bill Willingham and Me Empty Re: Bill Willingham and Me Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

shake my head

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum