Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Prisoner (AMC)

+5
Tiger
BlueMaxx
Debaser77
alucardbarnivous
Gojiratoho
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Prisoner (AMC) Empty AMC's The Prisoner remake Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Anyone going to check this out?

ITV site (AMC refuses to load)

I just recently watched the original thanks to Netflix. I liked it (though the ending felt a bit too existential), so the remake intrigues me. That and it's got Ian McKellen in it, so really how can you go wrong (oh wait...yeah...The Shadow)

2The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have it DVRed. I think they said the Prisoner from the original is in the first episode.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

3The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's possible, though McGoohan died recently.

4The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

All the episodes of the old Prisoner are On Demand...I'll have to check 'em out, as I've always wanted to see it. I'll probably check out the remake too.

5The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I watched the last episode 3 times and it's still confusing.

6The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:It's possible, though McGoohan died recently.

Then I assume it's the character and not the actor in the first episode.

7The Prisoner (AMC) Empty The Prisoner (AMC) Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Prisoner (AMC) The_prisoner_large_tcm19-2014545
The classic 60s series is being reinvented into a 6 episode mini.

Starts November 15th @ 8 (EST). 6 episodes, appropriately, 2 episodes a night for 3 nights in a row. This mini looks like it'll be pretty fun. Plus, it won't be dragged out to the end of December. Caviezel and Sir Ian McKellen--Set your DVRs.

8The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:48 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This show actually reminds me of a film Caviezel did called Unknown. Was a good movie, I recommend it.

9The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:It's possible, though McGoohan died recently.
Damn. Goji beat me by a day.

Merge!: https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com/cinema-and-tv-f7/the-prisoner-amc-t1788.htm

10The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Tiger

Tiger
Cadet
Cadet

My buddy went as the Prisoner (the real show) at Dragon*con and the 8 people that knew who he was ji--ed themselves. The best (worst?) part was when he went to the BRITISH SCi-FI TRACK headquarters desk and they asked what he was dressed as. We considered murdering all of them, but settled on demeaning them for being morons instead. There was weeping and shame. Very gratifying.

11The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:11 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Wow! The Brits didn't know their own nerd-creations?

12The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 am

Tiger

Tiger
Cadet
Cadet

"Wow! The Brits didn't know their own nerd-creations?"

Nope. Epic fail.

13The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:38 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I am apprehensive about this. Sir Ian is always good, so I will watch it for that, but the bit about 2 having a rebellious dreamboat teenaged son puts me right off.

14The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:23 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ During the forum at SDCC, which is on AMC.com, I think, and Free OnDemand, the kid did kind of come off as annoying, but I'm wondering if he'll bring a different dynamic. Like in the original, hardly anyone else wanted to leave, they quickly and easily submitted with the exception of #6. But what if there were others? And I think he plays twins because he is #11 and #12. Weird. But there is also a character named Lucy played by Hayley Atwell who is #4-15, which is confusing.
The Prisoner (AMC) Alg_atwell

15The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:06 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Laughing

16The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:23 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The first two episodes were brilliantly done. And I mean "brilliant" in the British way, like it is wonderfully done. Heh. Much more realistic mindfucks to #6 which pulled me in. The opening of the original series had a mysterious man that gassed 6's condo with a gas through the keyhole during the intro of every episode, and I'm thinking the mysterious girl, Lucy, is taking and adding on to that part. Number 147, the cab driver, parallels the Russian girl who was the common transporter for Six in the original (She was Asian in the pilot.).

Parallels are good in this one, but doesn't seem like you'd be missing out on the Easter Eggs, really, if you hadn't seen the original. Doesn't take away.

I believe 93 may have originally been McGoohan's part that they changed at the last minute and not make it connected to the original? I wonder who is set up for 12, or should I say "12"? They may use a different number.

These two episodes get am in-the-middle "B". Worth watching.

17The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm digging the mini so far. Not sure I like the fact that no one knows about the outside world, but I'm eager to see where the rest of the show goes.

18The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hmm Wink I was hoping my thread would get more posts. Damn you. Damn you to Hell. Laughing

I enjoyed the fact that The Village has a good few residents who are clueless of the outside world. Makes it deeper in the sense that The Village is very old and the chemicals. And, of course, why all of it? Who is #1? Very Happy

19The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:27 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My threads better, Goji! I'll prove it.

Watch this mini, the reinvention of the show that gave a good chunk to the concept(s) of the show Lost.
The Prisoner (AMC) Prisoner+of+Dharma

20The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hahaha! Thank you, mod...I'm gonna guess Tomer. yes Wink In the words of T-Matts, "I win!" tongue

Hey, Goji! Face!!! Laughing "Be seeing you."

21The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Uhm, who has the first post in this thread? Me! I win Laughing tongue

22The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:38 am

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Hmm. From that trailer ( which is all I've seen) it looks like a cool reinvention rather than a straight remake. I think that's the best way to go with this. The original series is so rooted in 1960's psychedelia and cold war paranoia the only way to remake it would be to set it in that era. This looks like a 'Prisoner' for the 21st Century.

A question to those who've seen both. Do you think the ending is gonna be as obscure as the original? And are they gonna go with the coolest part of the McGoohan series (in my opinion) which was that the answer to the question 'Who is Number One? was given in the title sequence of every episode if you listened carefully? I won't spoil it but if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.

23The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So far, they haven't even mentioned Number 1. That was 6's first question in the original series, yet in this one so far escape is his only driving force. I like how they are making his last day on the outside part of the main plot, rather than just a montage for the intro.

I'm thrilled Rover is back too, and Be Seeing You (minus the odd salute), and "I am NOT a Number, I am a Free Man!"

As far as the other villagers not knowing about the outside world, that kind of takes away from the whole paranoia angle. In the original, he thought everyone was against him, and even when he made alliances, distrust usually crumbled them. Of course, this could all end up being a ruse meant to break 6 down mentally.

Spoiler:

24The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:15 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Hmm. From that trailer ( which is all I've seen) it looks like a cool reinvention rather than a straight remake. I think that's the best way to go with this. The original series is so rooted in 1960's psychedelia and cold war paranoia the only way to remake it would be to set it in that era. This looks like a 'Prisoner' for the 21st Century.
Well said. According to the forum at San Diego Comic-Con, they are basically going for that trapped feeling that anyone can empathize with for the concept of The Village, and to see all those around you who have acclimated or been coerced just going about their blissful existence adding to what is bothering you. Social commentary through the metaphors of fiction, I think, can be the most effective.

Gojiratoho wrote:
Spoiler:
Hrm, that's neat.

This night's two episodes have driven me mad trying to figure out what the ending will be. I'm wondering if they'll be going way out there with the conclusion.

25The Prisoner (AMC) Empty Re: The Prisoner (AMC) Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My guess? They're in the Matrix.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum