Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dig Comics

+3
Lee
BlueMaxx
Rath99
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dig Comics Empty Dig Comics Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I saw this documentary called Dig Comics and it got me thinking about what we do to get others to read comics and help the industry we all love and support grow.

I've introduced a few younger cousins to comics books as well as my friends son. My girlfriends little sister loves reading Jeff Smith's Bone as well as G-Man, Mighty Skullboy Army, and other. My girlfriend also teaches grade school and she's started to add comics to her library.

Also what should the industry do to increase the audience for comic books?

Take a look at the trailer for the documentary.

2Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:17 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's insane to think it is really that low. I guess when you're in a community, it always seems like more? Anyways, my answer to this conundrum, pretty much what the vid said with a bit of a tweak is kid-readership, supplying comics, and Vertigo Comics. Wink I'm half-kidding with the latter. I mean, if you get adults to read...if they see that it isn't this silly thing, it could work out.

3Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:30 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would like to see the publishers do more with schools. I know Marvel (not sure about DC) has books published through Scholastic Books that is geared toward school aged children, but there are no programs.

Maybe comic book shops should do a little more with schools. Try to develop future readers.

4Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:41 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

What the hell? Why can I not add this to my Netflix queue? WHOSE RESPONSIBLE THIS!?

http://www.leerodriguez.net

5Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee it's not a feature. I'll PM with some more info.

6Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

We'll be talking with the director of Dig Comics next month on PoP!-Cast. I m very into this message.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

7Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Maybe this thread will get more action as the PoP!cast with the director get's closer.

I'm interested in hearing peoples opinion on this and any ideas they have to get readership up.

8Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:05 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You know, that's not a bad move. If you're an owner of a comicshop and you're up for it, try talking to schools around your shop and asking if you can at least put up flyers or something, if not get involved in school library programs and such. Good for business, good for literacy.

9Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Maxx its a great way to develop future customers. You will get more kids to stop by as well as teachers.

10Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I wanted to give this a bump since Lee announced that the director/host (Miguel Cima) will be interviewed on an upcoming PoP!cast.

11Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My aunt, an english teacher at the local Junior High School, uses comics and tpb, graphic novels for her class. She asked me to find some comics for some students who have trouble reading and the following requirements are;
1) Not too expensive, the school's not funding it so it comes out of her pocket.
2) Not too much graphic violence, it has to be appropriate to Junior High School students so the school won't go bitching at her for having them there.
3) Easy to read for her students that have a hard time reading or paying attention to a plot.
4) Something that can get girls into it and it can probobly be any genre, as long as it can get girls on to them.

12Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:24 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Marvel comics are doing comic versions of classic stories like the wizard of oz to get people who have never read comics to read comics. I don't schools and libaries don't do enough with comics cause they think its junk literature that its all fluff and whatnot. Some schools have do have reading lists with graphic novels.

13Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 pm

MikeSabian

MikeSabian
Ninja
Ninja

Maxx, that's a great idea. I definately think comics in school libraries is a great idea. (Come to think of it, it's one I've actively campaigned for when I was at high school). Getting someone into comics is, unfortunately, on a person-to-person basis, so getting young kids into reading through comic books is a very good idea.

Rath, any more information on how I can watch this flick?

14Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:00 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Right now they are trying to get funding to make it into a full length feature. The film has the back of Edward James Olmos' production company. If I hear of anything else I will sure to keep everyone posted.

15Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:14 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

i am actually trying to figure out a way to incorporate comics into children with language deficiencies... next year i start grad level classes in speech language pathology, and I think comics are a great way to learn with simple picture books. With out boring too many people here is my rationale. Kids learn with picture books and simple writing, why not move to picture books with more in depth writing (aka comic/trades/graphic). Currently kids move from picture books to novels. Kids get bored and vocabulary slows down.

Plus all it took to get my fiance involved with comics was to give her the days of future past story. she loved the art and story. But she had already read a graphic novel called Maus, by Art Spigelman. Its a great graphic novel about the holocaust. it was required reading in college in a history of the Holocaust class...

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

16Dig Comics Empty Re: Dig Comics Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Maus is a must read for everyone!!

My girlfriend started to use comics in her first grade class to get kids to read. She teaches an ESL class so it also serves to help them with their English. Comics as a learning tool...LOVE IT!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum