Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Progression or not?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Progression or not? Empty Progression or not? Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sorry for the long subtitle. I often hear people complain about artists who play the same kind of music all the time, with the complaint "there's no growth or development to their music" being an often cited reason. At the same time, I've heard people complain about bands or musicians for going beyond what they usually play. They long for the old stuff and deride the newer things done by them. The issue is, in both instances, the people made valid points. I know personally, I've been guilty of wanting music to "stay a certain way" (with rap music for example) and at other times , wanting change or progression (rock music - some not all). So I was wondering where you all stand on that. Examples would be nice. yes

2Progression or not? Empty Re: Progression or not? Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:26 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Progression is key-if you're a musician, you're an artist. Artists can't keeping painting the same portrait over and over again no matter what background you put behind it. Progression or no progression? Either way, fans are going to cry foul over either choice an artist chooses.

What sucks is that when an artist (or band) makes a transition away from what made them successful, you hear "sellout" and "Pop" coming out of everybody's mouths. Speaking of Pop, people give it a bad name and use whenever an artist aims at another crowd. For example, when a Rock song seems too catchy, almost anyone can understand it or reaches the Billboard's Hot 100-Pop is added next to a solid genre.

Then you have artists who change based on maturity-as you get older, you'll have a different perspective of things around you. You don't go back, you don't keep hiding behind one goal you reached, you go forth and dominate other things while still remembering what made you what you are today. I wish musicians were more into this trend...it's hard to find others who support taking things to the next level like myself-good thread.

3Progression or not? Empty Re: Progression or not? Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:09 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It depends. But it's usually a good thing.

In fact this is one of the reasons I love Marilyn Manson.

Regardless of liking the band, hating the band or liking a certain era- each album does sound different. Most of these are not extremes in difference, those do exist on each album though as well.

4Progression or not? Empty Re: Progression or not? Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Some bands don't need to progress cos they're perfect from the beginning...SLAYER!!! headbang

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum