Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite comics of the decade

+13
potatojoe
shining knight
prescribeddrone
Matt
Off_White_Lantern
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Heytherejeffro
jaydee74
Administrator
Jherek
Fresh03
Debaser77
17 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favorite comics of the decade Empty Favorite comics of the decade Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I'm surprised no one's started this thread yet, what with the 00's ending this month.

My picks are Y the Last Man, The Walking Dead, and, though it's only halfway done, I've gotta go with The Marvels Project.

2Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Fables, Peter David's new run on X-Factor, and Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi's reinvention of the Green Lantern franchise are all up there for me as far as favorite runs go for the decade.

3Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

52, Wednesday Comics, All Star Superman, Morrison's X-Men, Final Crisis, GL Rebirth, Infinite Crisis, Promethea, Tom Strong, America's Best Comics, Top Ten, Lost Girls, Fables, Seven Soldiers. Morrison's Batman. Marvels, House of M, Ultimates.

4Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:22 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

^ You mean maybe Marvels: Eye of the Camera? Because the original is from '93.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

5Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:01 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Green Lantern: Rebirth
Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
Sinestro Corps War
Wednesday Comics
Tiny Titans
Green Lantern & Green Lantern Corps series
Blue Beetle
Brave & the Bold
Captain America
Nova
The Immortal Iron Fist
Planet Hulk
Magneto: Testament
Walking Dead

6Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:55 am

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fables, Y: The Last Man, JMS's ASM (discounting Gwen Stacy's baby mama drama and OMD), Millar's Ultimates, X-Statix (*sniffle*), Top 10, The Authority, Alias

...and probably many more.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

7Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Adding to my list:

Brian Wood's Demo, Local, and DMZ

Vaughan and Harris' Ex Machina

Brubaker's Captain America

Johns' Green Lantern

Millar and Hitch's Ultimates

Robinson's Box Office Poison

Thompson's Blankets

8Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Tomer Soiker wrote:^ You mean maybe Marvels: Eye of the Camera? Because the original is from '93.
Whoops! my mistake. Boy time flys when your havin fun! Favorite comics of the decade 794531

9Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Spider-Man
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
Brubaker's Captain America
New Avengers
Dark Avengers
Bendis' Mighty Avengers
Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
Sinestro Corps War
Blackest Night (and all tie ins)
Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
Green Lantern: Agent Orange
Spider-Girl
The Amazing Spider-Girl
The Ultimates
The Ultimates 2
Winick's Green Arrow
Winick's Green Arrow/Black Canary
Winick's Batman
Johns' Flash
Johns' Teen Titans
Kyle & Yost's New X-Men
Beechen's Robin
Avengers Next
The Irredeemable Ant-Man
Simone’s Birds of Prey
Ellis' Thunderbolts
Diggle's Thunderbolts
Secret Warriors
Red Robin
Batgirl (current series)
Avengers: The Initiative
X-Men Forever
Buffy Season 8
Batman: Hush
Millar's Ultimate X-Men
Millar's Ultimate Fantastic Four
Benis' Ultimate X-Men

10Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:Fables, Y: The Last Man, JMS's ASM (discounting Gwen Stacy's baby mama drama and OMD), X-Statix (*sniffle*), Alias
Yes! The Fables universe and Y the Last Man go without saying, but I'm glad someone else pointed out Strazcynski's Amazing Spider-Man run, it was reinventive in the best of ways. The Gwen Stacy thing didn't bother me too much. The character actually hasn't been touched--no pun intended--since her death, that she's basically stayed an idea. It was good to see someone do something with her untapped--I swear I'm not trying--potential. It got me back into Marvel, in general, superhero books. And Milligan's and Allred's X-Force/X-Statix and Alias are possibly the best comics I've ever read, especially when it comes to capes books.

Trying to think of series that are pretty much contained within this decade...I'll throw in:
- Luna Bros. Girls
- Gail Simone's Villains United/Secret Six
- Hellboy: Conqueror Worm (Although, all of the Mignola-verse has been rocking pretty well this decade as much as the last.)

11Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 am

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Flash
Green Lantern
Fables
100 Bullets
Y
All Star Superman
Supergirl
Batman & Robin
Currently all things BN and Green Lantern

12Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:47 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Flash has been good, IMO. 52, considering what it showed was capable and was done, deserves an applause.

13Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:27 am

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

All-Star Superman
Blankets
Y
Fables
Essex Country Trilogy
Scott Pilgrim
Daredevil
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Planetery
A drifting Life
Gotham Central
Acme Novelty Library
Swallow Me Whole
Hellboy
Sinestro Corps War
New Frontier
Authority
Ex Machina
Sandman:Endless Nights
Lucifer
Grant Morrisons New Xmen
We3
Seven Solders
Flash
JSA
Queen and Country
Sleeper
Captain America
Criminal
Box Office Poison
Scalped
Black Hole
Top Ten

Also I would add Bone and Strangers in Paradise Since they started in the 90's but ended in the 2000's

14Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't been reading all decade but...

Booster Gold
Cable & Deadpool
Daredevil (Bendis and Brubaker)
Captain America (Brubaker)
New Avengers
Dark Avengers
Batman: Hush
Secret Six
Blackest Night
Morrison Batman/Batman & Robin
Identity Crisis
Infinite Crisis
JMS' Amazing Spider-Man
David Hine's Spawn
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vol 4
World War Hulk

Those are off the top of my head.

15Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fables

jack of fables

y the last man

booster gold

villians united/secret six

green lantern

green lantern corps

blackest night (kind of cheating with this but its my list)

16Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I really need to read more Fables...I'm hoping to start getting caught up with the Deluxe Editions soon. And I read the first two issues of Jack of Fables...great stuff!

17Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:05 am

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Marvel Zombies- The first arc in Ultimate Fantastic Four and the first mini were fantastic!

Cable and Deadpool
Ultimate Spidey
Sinestro Corps War

18Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

My top 10:
http://spidey82.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/another-post-another-list-top-10-comics-of-the-decade-2000-2009/

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

19Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:38 am

AlienIncognito

AlienIncognito
Pirate
Pirate

Tomer Soiker wrote:My top 10:
http://spidey82.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/another-post-another-list-top-10-comics-of-the-decade-2000-2009/

Great choices! I've read most of your list and the few I haven't I now want to.

20Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Decade in Review (Part 1)

It appears the writing has been the most improved aspect in comics, though many pundits would disagree as wondrously-detailed widescreen art has become the phenomenon. This review reflects on the great comic writers of the decade, and hopefully beyond:

Jason Aaron (Ghost Rider, Scalped, Secret Invasion: Black Panther, Wolverine: Get Mystique)

-Much like predecessor Garth Ennis, this Marvel young gun has mostly stuck to the script, writing primarily Marvel Knights and MAX stories featuring the grime and gritty. Aaron’s Wolverine arc was so memorable, it delivered his now freaky take on Weapon X; his Scalped so powerful in depicting the horrors of Indian reservation life gone wrong, that his takeover from Ennis on Punishermax is no surprise. Despite all these cult classics, I can’t help but feel like Ghost Rider was his baby. Ending this month, this rebirth of Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch will go down as one of the most underappreciated runs in the history of Marvel. With Aaron’s perfected grindhouse formula, no one’s ever come as close in making the supernatural world of Ghost Rider this entertaining, or this epic.

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning (Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, War of Kings)

-Of all the lists I’ve read about the most significant runs of the decade, it’s simply a travesty these guys were left out. You’re kidding me! Better known as DnA, this writing duo went on to claim the Cosmic U in Marvel as their own. Seriously. Other than Keith Giffen’s early Annihilation contributions, there’s hardly another writer who’s placed a word in the books from the other galaxies. While it’s argued that space-cop Nova is too close a Green Lantern (especially with his own corps), this could be said about several hundred of the Marvel/DC characters. Nova set the stage for the sci-fi characters to have their own title, as, with the results of Annihilation: Conquest, the little known z-list Guardians of the Galaxy became one the biggest cult books going. I mean, who could deny the awesomeness of Rocket Raccoon or Groot the talking tree? DnA’s imagination has ran through our minds countless times, capped by the Secret Invasion-inspired War of Kings. With space battles this daunting and grandeur, we often forget just how relentlessly prolific Abnett & Lanning are.

Brian K. Vaughan (Pride of Baghdad, The Hood, Y: The Last Man)

-This writer of TV’s hit show Lost came up with a Lost of his own, Y: The Last Man. How one man—one Y chromosome—is spared to find himself the only man alive on a planet of women…makes us think how lucky Yorick Brown is. Until you read the book, of course. Much like most of Vaughan’s work, it’s dizzying; it’s eccentric in its gender role-playing; and several surprising characters, backstabbings, and momentous plotlines make this one a graphic novel series to remember and re-read. It’s books like Y and Pride of Baghdad (“The Lion King for adults”) that give the term graphic novel a good name, allowing 60s, 70s and 80s babies to not feel bad for still loving comics. (I have not read Runaways or Ex-Machina, forgive my ignorance...)

Geoff Johns (Adventure Comics, Booster Gold, Green Lantern, Flash, Blackest Night, Final Crisis tie-ins, Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Superman)

-What is there to say about this guy other than that he’s a beast. He’s arguably the most prolific, most consistently awesome writer going in comics today, with his highlight being the reinvention (Rebirth, rather) of Green Lantern; he’s made the once-forgotten character Hal Jordan a now pivotal franchise for DC. Johns alone wrote three of the most important and epic wars in the history of DC in Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, and the current, undead heroes-turn-villains epic, Blackest Night. While he’s best known for his sci-fi wars, undeniably so, his resurrection of good Superman stories might be his most overlooked work. Before the Last Son, Brainiac and Legion of Super-Heroes arcs on DC’s titular character, there wasn’t much to be said about Supes other than updated retellings of his origin. Oh, Johns? He’s doing that too. Although Johns’ JSA and Titans might not be up to the level of his better known work, and his current runs on Adventure Comics and The Flash have yet to be determined, these stories are still heads above 90% of other comic book writers. If you ever inspired to be a comic book writer, this is who you look to first.

Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Walking Dead)

-This is an honorable mention to a writer because I intend on buying the Invincible run someday, and I just picked up the Walking Dead compendium. I’ve never read either, but it’s impossible not to imagine how good this stuff is when all it does it get rave reviews.

TBC...

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

21Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There is just way too many for me to list, so I will just go with the stand outs.

Identity Crisis: Changed the status quo for me as a reader. The idea that they mindwiped an event from Batman was major and I did not see coming.

The Walking Dead: A book more about human behaviour then about zombies.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8: Not just continuing where the tv show left off, but doing it right.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

22Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Part 2

Brian Michael Bendis (Alias, Daredevil, Dark Avengers, House of M, New Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man)

-You can’t mention the decade without mentioning Bendis no matter how you feel about his “Bendis voice” in the talkiest of talky Avengers books ever. I mean, he even puts the overly-linguistic Kurt Busiek to shame. But what we gained from many of these Dark and New Avengers books is a sense of comradery among the teams, even when there’s more bickering and snickering than ever before. Sometimes the problem with the “Bendis voice” is that in a group book too many of the characters come off roughly the same; it’s been a problem even the revered Geoff Johns had in his brief stint on the title. Regardless, Bendis made these books important. He also made them fun. Buying Avengers books, and especially his highly-regarded Ultimate Spider-Man run, made these issues feel episodic; there was a sense of continuity that kept us intrigued (even sometimes to a fault).

It’s not that Bendis failed with character. He made Alias (Jessica Jones, not Jennifer Garner) worth following, boosting this adult-appealing Max book with mainstream Avengers elements. Getting inside the dark psyche of Alias, as well as his take on the what was soon-jailed Daredevil, made these books some of the best character studies yet. Say what you will about the quality of his status-quo changing House of M and Secret Invasion events, but the man makes an impact. Bendis basically owned Marvel in the 2000's. And let’s not forget about this year’s Siege, which is sure to be the icing on the cake. (Again, forgive my ignorance again, but I’m just getting caught on to Powers. Thank you.)

Darwyn Cooke (DC: The New Frontier, Superman: Kryptonite)

-While sort of quiet on the writing front these days, a very special shout out is due for DC: The New Frontier, alone. This retelling of the DC Universe is an instant classic, capitalizing on some pretty dreamy throwback art to the Dick Tracy age and the updated importance of supporting characters that gave Bruce, Clark and Diana a break. Cooke also contributed to some pretty heady Catwoman arcs, as well as an excellent take on Superman’s battle with his worst enemy, Kryptonite.

Matt Fraction (Immortal Iron Fist, Invincible Iron Man, Thor: Ages of Thunder)

-Ahhh…everyone’s favorite writer of Uncanny X-Men… You knew I was going to say that, right? Now, that his biggest hindrance is out of the way, let’s get onto the outstanding character work. Since he shared duties with Ed Brubaker in bringing the Iron Fist out in the fold, Fraction’s might always be known for the excellence that is Invincible Iron Man. He basically put the other Tony Stark book out of business, more-so building a character that reflects the Extremis of Garth Ennis and the lippy character from the movie. Yes, it’s been debated and basically quoted that Iron Man 2 is partially-inspired on Matt Fraction’s work, but the timing of The Five Nightmares and the debut film are ironic at best. Moving further, Invincible made a now rather unlikable character—due to Civil War—our hero again, all the while painfully watching him run and become mentally disassembled. This run has been a work of art; perhaps even say a little unmoving. I don’t think so. I give Fraction more credit for giving us a slow burn with this one, focusing more on trauma strategy than mere heroism. And now that it’s announced he will be taking over for Gillen in the Thor ongoing, don’t fret: his Ages of Thunder one-shots should give enough indication that his Donald Blake will be as appealing as his Stark.

Jeph Loeb (Batman, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Superman, Superman/Batman)
–I can just about guarantee NO ONE put this poor fellow on their list as Best of the Decade. That’s because most of his best work came at the beginning of the decade, but this Review is not only about recent years. We know his recent failings on Hulk, Wolverine, Ultimates/Ultimatum, etc. Right. However, is it that easy for you to forget the spectacular collaborations with Tim Sale on origin tales: Blue, Yellow, and For All Seasons? How about some of the grittiest Batman stories ever told in Dark Victory and Hush? And his absolutely superb work on DC’s mega team-up, Superman/Batman, with Public Enemies and Supergirl? Thought so.

Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman, Batman, Batman & Robin, Flash, Final Crisis, JLA, New X-Men)

-No matter how trivial Morrison’s writing can be—okay, downright bizarre—there’s no denying the man’s resume. From the most revered books, many would even say classic (All-Star Superman, New X-Men) to the most criticized (Batman R.I.P., Final Crisis), this polarization in audience is probably what makes him most appealing. Like Stephen King, Morrison’s basically bigger than his work. That came to proof when incorporating himself within in final issue of Animal Man. Yes, he even made Animal Man a great comic to read. And how about trying to “dumb” things down a bit with the 60s TV-influenced Batman & Robin? With Frank Quietly, darn right great.

Special shoutout to Peter David for making X-Factor one of the greatest long runs in Marvel history—not easy with a secondary X-Men group (and his second go-about, nonetheless!), and to DC for both 52 and Identity Crisis. 52 is my favorite “event” of the decade. The aptly named 52 was a year worth of weekly issues from greats Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid NOT covering Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman. They made lesser known heroes Booster Gold, The Question, Batwoman, Lobo, among others as fun if not more intriguing than the big 3 and didn’t hold back in making impact without them. Identity Crisis comes from the novelist Brad Meltzer, and this “event” is more like one big detective story, dealing with some finger-biting “whodunit” deaths and all the accusations and mysteries that follow. It proves you don’t need 100 characters on one page to spell war; you only need good story. Identity Crisis it was.

TBC...

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

23Favorite comics of the decade Empty Re: Favorite comics of the decade Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Great stuff LOOSECANNON.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum