Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daytripper

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Daytripper Empty Daytripper Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

New Vertigo mini-series from Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon...Possible Hidden Gem in the making?

Here's my review of issue # 1 on the main site
http://panelsonpages.com/?p=16088

2Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:31 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gettin' it. Sadly won't get to read the first ish until the beginning of next year because of my schedule.
Daytripper Daytripper
Can't wait, though.

3Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just read it last night and I really liked it. Also I think the art is really lovely and works perfectly for this kind of story.

As to what the rest of the series will be about, well I think it's going to be key events/days in the life of the main character, Bras. I guess this won't be interesting to a lot of mainstream comics readers but I'm looking forward to it. Ba and Moon are exploring themes I've been thinking about lately and they've already done a great job in helping us get to know this character. If they can pull that off in one issue I'm looking forward to more. It's going to be tough delving deeper into his life, though, knowing what happens at the end of this book.

Shakespeare gets a mention at the end of the book and it could be seen that like his work this book may be a bit of a tragedy but I suspect it's going to be more a celebration of life and the things that contribute to make up a life.

I think this will be a wonderful read which I'm looking forward to.

4Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:13 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

This book may wind up something really great by the end of its ten-issue run. Can't wait to read more.

5Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Daytripper #2

Okay I'm feeling a little slow in understanding this issue. I know there's a couple of you reading this - could you help me out with your thoughts about what happened here. Maybe it's pretty obvious but I feel like I'm not quite getting it.

Oh and the art was just lovely.

6Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:26 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just read the first two issues, and the chapter progression and flashbacks with the age at which Bras is at is great. Even the paper used for the issue is refreshing. I dislike the super-sleek paper that is used for the "expensive" comics. They sometimes stick together from just pressure alone, and can make my fingertips sweat.

Aussie. I'm taking the deaths as metaphorical and given possible explanation as the series goes on. Me thinks that maybe Bras "died" because he evolved in life, became more mature; cultured. As for Olinda, I'm thinking that maybe she drowned, and that Bras lost a piece of himself; "died"? I feel like I'm reaching and hate that I feel like I am because I want an explanation, but it feels like it'll be explained, being that it's going through highlights of his life. His friend Jorge is along for the ride, and he started to grow on me more as the next issue portrayed him as a person who knows who he is and what he wants in life. Or at least on his way. So to see where that goes for Bras makes me comfortable to continue. Trusting the writer/artist.

7Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:58 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:

Aussie. I'm taking the deaths as metaphorical and given possible explanation as the series goes on. Me thinks that maybe Bras "died" because he evolved in life, became more mature; cultured. As for Olinda, I'm thinking that maybe she drowned, and that Bras lost a piece of himself; "died"? I feel like I'm reaching and hate that I feel like I am because I want an explanation, but it feels like it'll be explained, being that it's going through highlights of his life.
Okay that's more or less what I was thinking. I certainly thought she had drowned, I was a little unsure about when that might have happened though. That being said I think there was something dreamlike about his whole encounter and experience with her so maybe it's okay to be a little unclear because there's not meant to be an easy explanation for what happened. I do think it's more about part of Bras dying than him actually dying. And now that I think of it, considering his job, it may make sense that he does little obituaries for himself at key moments in his life - which is what I think maybe that was at the end.

8Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #3 confirmed my thinking about this book with Bras writing obituaries for certain things that happen in his life as if he had died. Anyway this issue also confirmed my view that this is a fantastically well written book. I think the quality of the writing is superb - those first few pages - I just think it's a step above a lot of the writing that's out there. And not to mention how good the art is.

This book is small and personal and yet it really hits home to me.

9Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sat May 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Daytripper #6 is the best comic I've read in a week of very impressive comics. The art is gorgeous and the story was wonderfully emotional without a trace of sappiness. I'm still not sure what Ba and Moon are going for with Bras dying in every issue, but this is fast turning into one of my favorite books on the stands right now.

10Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sat May 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Daytripper #6 is the best comic I've read in a week of very impressive comics. The art is gorgeous and the story was wonderfully emotional without a trace of sappiness. I'm still not sure what Ba and Moon are going for with Bras dying in every issue, but this is fast turning into one of my favorite books on the stands right now.
Yeah completely agree. Very emotional issue without any over the top sentimentality. The art on this series has just been beautiful and so different from anything around.

I'm probably still going to go with the issue about his childhood away on those weekends with his family as my favourite. I just thought it captured so perfectly how you feel at that time of your life.

11Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #8 - This series has been good all the way through but this issue was about as touching and emotional a story as you'll read. Moon and Ba created something real here and I felt it. Have to admit I got pretty choked up reading this.

This series has been something special in my opinion. Not a "big" story by any means but I think these guys have done wonderful work. It's a story about life.

12Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #8 - This series has been good all the way through but this issue was about as touching and emotional a story as you'll read. Moon and Ba created something real here and I felt it. Have to admit I got pretty choked up reading this.

This series has been something special in my opinion. Not a "big" story by any means but I think these guys have done wonderful work. It's a story about life.

Agreed on all points. I absolutely adore this book and, even though I'm reading it every month, I'll probably spring for a trade or hardcover when it comes out...it's just that good.

13Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Okay I just finished the last issue of Daytripper (#10) by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba and, although I know not many people are reading it, I really can't recommend this series enough for anyone who's interested in something a bit broader than standard super-hero fare.

There isn't a super-hero in sight during the entire 10 issues, nor really any action but what you do get is something that you can connect with on a personal level and which, at it's heart, makes some very strong statements (without beating you over the head with them). And the thing is it may be quite different for different people. For me, Daytripper, although focussed on death, has really been about life or living life and, I think, getting the most out of it.

I believe that at least one of the issues in the series would resonate with anyone at whatever point in life they are at at the time they're reading it or at least resonate with your memories of a particular period in your life. The series has been intelligent, emotional (one particular issue had me in tears I have to admit), funny at times but most of all just struck me as so real yet at the same time very lyrical and poetic. Not to mention the art couldn't be more perfect.

I have to say that Daytripper has been one of the better comics series I've read. A wonderful and beautiful piece of work that I think the creators have really poured their hearts into. That being said, it is absolutely not going to appeal to everyone but I think if people try it they will find themselves enjoying it.

14Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ *claps*

It really was a beautiful story. Every issue hit me just right.

15Daytripper Empty Re: Daytripper Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ *claps*

It really was a beautiful story. Every issue hit me just right.

I'm really glad to hear that, mate. I was just re-reading my post up there and thought how much I agree with myself! Laughing Seriously, Daytripper is actually going to go down as one of my all time favourite comics series. I truly connected with it and I think you can't ask for much more from a story no matter whether it's a book, movie, tv series or comic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum