Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Double Atomic Bomb Survivor Passes Away

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Double Atomic Bomb Survivor Passes Away Empty Double Atomic Bomb Survivor Passes Away Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:23 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_obit_bomb_victim

"TOKYO – Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the only person officially recognized as a survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings at the end of World War II, has died at age 93.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip for his shipbuilding company on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city.

He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki, about 300 kilometers (190 miles) to the southwest, which suffered a second U.S. atomic bomb attack three days later.

On Aug. 15, 1945, Japan surrendered, ending the war.

The mayor of Nagasaki said "a precious storyteller has been lost," in a message posted on the city's Web site Wednesday. Yamaguchi died Monday morning of stomach cancer, the mass circulation Mainichi, Asahi and Yomiuri newspapers reported.

Yamaguchi was the only person to be certified by the Japanese government as having been in both cities when they were attacked, although other dual survivors have also been identified.

"My double radiation exposure is now an official government record. It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die," Yamaguchi was quoted as saying in the Mainichi newspaper last year.

In his later years, Yamaguchi gave talks about his experiences as an atomic bomb survivor and often expressed his hope that such weapons would be abolished.

He spoke at the United Nations in 2006, wrote books and songs about his experiences, and appeared in a documentary about survivors of both attacks.

Last month he was visited in the hospital by filmmaker James Cameron, director of "Titanic" and "Avatar," who is considering making a movie about the bombings, according to the Mainichi.

Immediately after the war, Yamaguchi worked as a translator for American forces in Nagasaki and later as a junior high school teacher.

Japan is the only country to have suffered atomic bomb attacks. About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Yamaguchi is one of about 260,000 people who survived the attacks. Some bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation exposure, including cancer and liver illnesses.

Certification as an atomic bomb survivor in Japan qualifies individuals for government compensation, including monthly allowances, free medical checkups and funeral costs."
by Jay Alabaster

Could you imagine having one of the worst days of a human-beings life in the entiriety of history and then repeating it twice? Holy crap. Guy lived a full life, though. Which is even more amazing.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My LORD, what are the odds. He should seriously have played the Lottery as soon as it was invented...

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Hah. Yes, yes he should. Because if anyone was due some frickin' luck, it'd have been that poor guy.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more posts, it's actually a very good human interest story.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It is. How someone can survive the worst of the worst twice and having a full life shows resilience to the inhumanities of the world. Little pretentious, but sincerity usually sounds so.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nicely put, Blue Meanie!

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That guy's a badass! Er...was.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Probably still IS! Just, you know, in the afterlife.

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, the Japanese, especially in wartime, definitely tend to have different views on death.

Also, I noticed people were wondering how he was so positive: He might have seen himself as the luckiest guy on the planet.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dude, if i survived 2 nukes, i'd DEFinately lay claim to that title. AND be on Letterman.

11Double Atomic Bomb Survivor Passes Away Empty Re: Double Atomic Bomb Survivor Passes Away Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Hah! For most cultures' people, your point of view would instantly go positive. For the most part. Family and friends gone in the blink of an eye probably doesn't feel quite as lucky. But as years went on, I'd grow more optimistic.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, I figure i'd have been there as a spy, so my family and friends would still be back in the States.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ ...what? Are you saying you're a spy? And are either immortal or have aged incredibly slow?

If so, x-gene or painting of yourself in a vault?

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Painting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum