Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Working at a Comic Book Store

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Working at a Comic Book Store Empty Working at a Comic Book Store Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just picked up a PT job at my LCS; I'm the back-issue guy.

Any suggestions as to how I might improve the standard "long-box/alphabetical" format to make a (rather large) back issue section more user friendly?

Also, does anybody else on here work at a comic shop?

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

2Working at a Comic Book Store Empty Re: Working at a Comic Book Store Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:I just picked up a PT job at my LCS; I'm the back-issue guy.

Any suggestions as to how I might improve the standard "long-box/alphabetical" format to make a (rather large) back issue section more user friendly?

I did years ago, but I made the mistake of working at a terrible shop.

My only real suggestion for back issues is don't ever pack it too tight, though I'm sure you already know that. I've been to stores who seemed to think the best way to do it is to cram as many issues as will fit, despite the fact that it makes it a pain in the ass for the customer to look through them.

3Working at a Comic Book Store Empty Re: Working at a Comic Book Store Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Heytherejeffro wrote:I just picked up a PT job at my LCS; I'm the back-issue guy.

I did years ago, but I made the mistake of working at a terrible shop.

My only real suggestion for back issues is don't ever pack it too tight, though I'm sure you already know that. I've been to stores who seemed to think the best way to do it is to cram as many issues as will fit, despite the fact that it makes it a pain in the ass for the customer to look through them.
Josh, that is an excellent idea, and actually one of the things I noticed on my first day.
I really think that a lot of the more recent crossover stories get lost in the "Miscellaneous-M" or whatever, and I placed a ton of the JMS "Red Circle" DC books into the Miscellaneous sections, forever to be lost amongst the rabble of back-issue hell. I did create a section for the Marvel/Timely line that came out last year, so all of those titles could be together, as opposed to being scattered about.
The thing is that back-issues are basically 5% of the revenue stream, but take up about 1/3 of the store's floor-space. I want to make that 1/3 to be the place that people want to find themselves in.

Also, check out the store's website, because the store itself is pretty kick-ass: That's Entertainment!

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

4Working at a Comic Book Store Empty Re: Working at a Comic Book Store Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

One thing that my favorite shop in the world does is place notable issues along the walls above the back issues. Obviously this may or may not be possible due to the layout of the store, but I think it's a good way to catch peoples' eye and draw them to that area of the store. Obviously you don't want to put anything too valuable up there, but high-profile books and variant covers under $50 shouldn't pose too high a risk.

As for the "Miscellaneous" section, that's actually a new concept to me. I'd recommend not dividing the comics up by publisher, but just doing it alphabetically with dividers for every title in stock, regardless of how insignificant it might be.

5Working at a Comic Book Store Empty Re: Working at a Comic Book Store Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:32 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

well my favorite little store is in the process of re-organizing their back issues. And right now they just have a box of Ms and a box of Xs and etc. So dont do that lol.

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum