Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

G.I. Joe = Anime

+4
Ska
Gandicles
Mnemosis
alucardbarnivous
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:I'd say no. Just because something is animated in an Asian country does not make it anime (or manhwa or what have you). Futurama was/is animated by Rough Draft studios, an American and Korean animation firm, and I wouldn't consider the episodes that were animated in Korea to be Anime. Thundercats was developed by Ted Wolf, produced by Rankin/Bass, and farmed out to Pacific Animation for animating. I wouldn't consider that anime either (hell, owning all the episodes I'd be hard pressed at times to tell you they were all from the same cartoon, the animation style changed up so much).

Stuff from Korea doesn't strike as anime to me. Too often are their productions cheap/ugly and they have little distinction in their art often times. For me, 9/10 of the time I can tell if something came out of Japan. I mean, I remember watching Dungeons and Dragons a few months back after not seeing it once since childhood and saying, 'I didn't know it was an anime' before looking it up to see Toei drew it. As for Thundercats, I can see an anime vibe but that was in full force for Silverhawks imho.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

27G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Does Knize like Hentai though? You know he has too he has a penis.

To the question at hand I would have to say no. Though Resolute reminded me more of a good anime. I think it was the darker grittier tone to it all, but when I think anime I think. Voltron, RoboTech, DBZ, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, Ghost in the Shell. I actually hate most Anime...mostly the poplular J-poppy type stuff, essentially anything a 12 yr old girl would like.

Yeah, but anime isn't as limited as other genres. Anything can be an anime and it is drawn in many styles. I watched an anime about agriculture a year ago. Agriculture. Laughing

28G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:02 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Anime has more to do with the style in which it is drawn and less with where it is made. Most, if not all, American studios have animation work done outside of the U.S., but that doesn't mean any of it is anime.

I disagree. The only rule anime often sticks to is the big eyes and even then I've seen shows where eyes weren't exaggerated. Not to mention, there's been shows drawn in the states copying the anime style (Teen Titans, Secret Saturdays, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!, etc). Are they anime?

29G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My old rule use to be anime is written and drawn by Japanese for Japanese. However, where does that leave programs like the sequels to Afro Samurai and Street Fighter Alpha the Animation ordered by American companies? Pokemon was dying out in Japan in favor of Card Captor Sakura and Yu-Gi-Oh but US popularity resurrected it and brought it back for us.

30G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Are we suggesting that there is no difference between anime and cartoons then? This whole section is a farce and should be added to TV and Cinema like other cartoons with manga part of Independent Comics then. Laughing

In seriousness though, as part of style, the animation itself is markedly different between them, even when American cartoons are made overseas (something I never fail to find amusement in).

31G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Are we suggesting that there is no difference between anime and cartoons then? This whole section is a farce and should be added to TV and Cinema like other cartoons with manga part of Independent Comics then. Laughing

In seriousness though, as part of style, the animation itself is markedly different between them, even when American cartoons are made overseas (something I never fail to find amusement in).

I say if it's drawn in Japan, it's anime.

Regarding style, I'd argue many space genre anime has a similar look to most American-produced cartoons drawn in Japan of yesteryear.

32G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:15 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Another huge Japanese studio with outsourced American animation: TMS Entertainment. They did Bionic Six, Mighty Orbots, Rainbow Brite, Wuzzles, and a bunch of Disney TV toons.

33G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardsomethingsomething Laughing wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Are we suggesting that there is no difference between anime and cartoons then? This whole section is a farce and should be added to TV and Cinema like other cartoons with manga part of Independent Comics then. Laughing

I say if it's drawn in Japan, it's anime.

Regarding style, I'd argue many space genre anime has a similar look to most American-produced cartoons drawn in Japan of yesteryear.

That's fair enough. I can understand how style is becoming more and more blurry. When people talk to me about anime and speak of the more stereotypical examples I point to things like Death Note and the more "adult" seeming anime, where the style trends towards more realistic depictions of people. I still feel though that the style and animation style as well speaks strongly as a distinction. I have a problem with cartoons made in Japan mostly because this can be applied to many things, unless we mean things that originate from Japan, since a mere change in location of the animation studio without any or a slight change in style would be problematic as far as definitions go itself. But you raise a number of good points. I see where you're coming from.

34G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardbarnivous wrote:Not to mention, there's been shows drawn in the states copying the anime style (Teen Titans, Secret Saturdays, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!, etc). Are they anime?
I'm only familiar with one of those shows (Teen Titans), but I'd have no problem classifying it as anime. Of course, while it is American produced, do we know where the actual animation takes place, since that seems to be the lynchpin to the whole argument?

35G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:That's fair enough. I can understand how style is becoming more and more blurry. When people talk to me about anime and speak of the more stereotypical examples I point to things like Death Note and the more "adult" seeming anime, where the style trends towards more realistic depictions of people. I still feel though that the style and animation style as well speaks strongly as a distinction. I have a problem with cartoons made in Japan mostly because this can be applied to many things, unless we mean things that originate from Japan, since a mere change in location of the animation studio without any or a slight change in style would be problematic as far as definitions go itself. But you raise a number of good points. I see where you're coming from.

Thanks!

36G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:I'm only familiar with one of those shows (Teen Titans), but I'd have no problem classifying it as anime. Of course, while it is American produced, do we know where the actual animation takes place, since that seems to be the lynchpin to the whole argument?

IIRC, around 90% of all American animation is produced in Korea today.

37G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

South Korea itself was once the largest supplier of television animation in the world during its peak in the 1990s, churning out more than 1,000 half-hour episodes. However, its status has since declined with the rise of labor costs there, pushing animation companies to find alternatives such as India, the Philippines and North Korea. The Chronicles of Narnia, for example, used Indian animators for some characters. It's unclear how much North Korea contributes to the world animation market today.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/IC14Dg03.html

38G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

alucardbarnivous wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:Are you trying to support your argument? Or ours? Duke and Flint have squared off jaws, unlike the pointed or rounded faces of the Voltron force, or pretty much any other anime

You're basing your argument on jaws? Really? Laughing

The jaws were merely one marker.

Joshua wrote:
alucardbarnivous wrote:Not to mention, there's been shows drawn in the states copying the anime style (Teen Titans, Secret Saturdays, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!, etc). Are they anime?
I'm only familiar with one of those shows (Teen Titans), but I'd have no problem classifying it as anime. Of course, while it is American produced, do we know where the actual animation takes place, since that seems to be the lynchpin to the whole argument?

This is right where I stand. I'd sooner call Teen Titans anime for its "feel" than GI Joe, regardless of where each was produced.

Question: Does music have to have been recorded in Detroit to be "Motown?" Or could a recording artist in Tennessee capture the "Motown sound." And does every musician from or recorded in Detroit fall into the "Motown" category?

39G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I guess my point is, in both cases, the genre originated because a specific region had a prevalent style which it produced. In both cases, over time, that style became popular throughout the country/world and was emulated elsewhere, while that region grew to produce material falling into other genres.

40G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think your music analogy pretty much covers all bases. Country music doesn't only come from Nashville, but it's no less country music because it's produced in Florida or Australia. Anime, while originally hailing exclusively from Japan, has gained enough popularity to transcend geography.

41G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

"What kinda music you usually have hear?"
"Oh, we got both kinds. Country AND Western"

Last edited by Mnemosis on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

42G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*throws bottle*

43G.I. Joe = Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: G.I. Joe = Anime Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:40 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum