Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Long Posts - How long is too long?

+7
Mnemosis
Aussiemandias
shark6495
Silent K
riv1
BlueMaxx
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 5:47 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Simple question: How long is too long when it comes to posts? Where does one draw the line? I often joke about other posts being too long and have been known at times to be long-winded myself and while I understand everyone has their own level of how long is too long, I'm curious how long is "too long".

2Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 5:58 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Really just depends. Sometimes we, and I'm not excluding myself, reiterate to much within the same post. It could help to spread thoughts out. Many want one big burst to answer something that wasn't even asked. Again, though, it all depends. Wink See what I did there?

3Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm usually accused of doing the opposite so i gotta say, the longer the better!

4Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

riv1 wrote:I'm usually accused of doing the opposite so i gotta say, the longer the better!

Long Posts - How long is too long? Maximu10

5Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I don't mind length, as long as it's organized, well-formatted, and interesting.

But you Custom Member Title needs to be shortened, Wade. Srsly.

6Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I don't mind length, as long as it's organized, well-formatted, and interesting.

But you Custom Member Title needs to be shortened, Wade. Srsly.

Long Posts - How long is too long? 12695910

Bah, everyone's a critic. Laughing

7Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

riv1 wrote:I'm usually accused of doing the opposite so i gotta say, the longer the better!

thats what she said..... I look at it like my professors in college looked at writing papers, it should be as long as it needs to be. If you are going into the physics of how superman is able to fly, well that warrants a longer response. If you are talking about the flavors of an ice cream cone and how they explode into your mouth, write on brother. But if you are using just off the wall examples to get your point across when you could have just used 1 sentence, then yeah you typed too much into your post.... also if it seems you have made your point but you have a tendency to continue making your point, sort of like scoring more points after the home team has stopped trying, then you may be making your posts a bit too long....

so in short... as long as they need to be to get the point across..... lol!

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

8Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Simple question: How long is too long when it comes to posts? Where does one draw the line? I often joke about other posts being too long and have been known at times to be long-winded myself and while I understand everyone has their own level of how long is too long, I'm curious how long is "too long".
This is one of the shortest posts I've seen from you. neutral

9Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I'm with Knize on post length. Personally, you're going to hold my attention more with a few short paragraphs than with a giant block of text.

shark6495 wrote:

thats what she said..... I look at it like my professors in college looked at writing papers, it should be as long as it needs to be. If you are going into the physics of how superman is able to fly, well that warrants a longer response. If you are talking about the flavors of an ice cream cone and how they explode into your mouth, write on brother. But if you are using just off the wall examples to get your point across when you could have just used 1 sentence, then yeah you typed too much into your post.... also if it seems you have made your point but you have a tendency to continue making your point, sort of like scoring more points after the home team has stopped trying, then you may be making your posts a bit too long....

so in short... as long as they need to be to get the point across..... lol!

Case in point. tl;dr

10Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:I'm with Knize on post length. Personally, you're going to hold my attention more with a few short paragraphs than with a giant block of text.

Same here.

11Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Sun May 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't mind long when there's breaks between paragraphs so it doesn't look like one giant wall of text. Not properly formatting a long post is a good way to keep people from wanting to read it.

12Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Simple question: How long is too long when it comes to posts? Where does one draw the line? I often joke about other posts being too long and have been known at times to be long-winded myself and while I understand everyone has their own level of how long is too long, I'm curious how long is "too long".
This is one of the shortest posts I've seen from you. neutral

Bah! tongue Laughing

Mnemosis wrote:I'm with Knize on post length. Personally, you're going to hold my attention more with a few short paragraphs than with a giant block of text.

I can understand this. I don't mind block of texts. Then again, I think it speaks to how I read posts, in that I read it as if someone were talking to me. So a block of text does not bother me as much. Often, when I see something split into paragraphs, it bothers me and causes me to skim rather than read or even ignore the whole thing as a whole and read only the last line.

In terms of posting, I tend to post as if I were talking. What's posted is what I would say in real life and all that. I tend to favor large blocks of texts since it correlates with my train of thought and manner of speech. I guess that serves as a downside and discourages people (as already stated). It can also lead to the speaker digressing, which I can imagine is vexing in itself.

13Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
I can understand this. I don't mind block of texts. Then again, I think it speaks to how I read posts, in that I read it as if someone were talking to me. So a block of text does not bother me as much. Often, when I see something split into paragraphs, it bothers me and causes me to skim rather than read or even ignore the whole thing as a whole and read only the last line.

In terms of posting, I tend to post as if I were talking. What's posted is what I would say in real life and all that. I tend to favor large blocks of texts since it correlates with my train of thought and manner of speech. I guess that serves as a downside and discourages people (as already stated). It can also lead to the speaker digressing, which I can imagine is vexing in itself.

This was one of the first posts by you I've ever actually read. Laughing

14Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 am

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've often considered this point. Many times, while perusing the internet, I find page after page of message boards just filled with rambling, long-winded, on-going, relentless, never-ending posts about trite, unimportant, banal, overly-expressed minutiae. Think, if you will, that the internet, as well as most forms of popular culture, has become a gathering place of self-important, overly-opinionated, brash arrogance. Most people will type a post because they are interested in seeing not only the responses that they might garner, but simply to admire the "art" that they've produced on the screen. One could easily call to numerous points in the past in which we've been cornered at some form of social gathering (think "message boards filled with living humans") in which a person would consistently and voraciously express their opinions about multiple subjects while barely taking a moment to let another person rebut.
I think it was Voltaire, or possibly an episode of the now-long-defunct sitcom "Boston Common" that taught me that the key to good communication is brevity. I couldn't agree more! When looking to make an impression, is it not the short words of wisdom that stay with us, as opposed to the long drawn-out speeches that leave (one can assume) both the reader and speaker exhausted? There's a reason that Chinese restaurants serve fortunes in cookies, and not cakes; the longer the message, the less memorable it will be.
In William Shakespeare's Hamlet, there are two (2) lines that tend to be the most quoted. Most famously, Hamlet's soliloquy beginning "To be or not to be, that is the question..." is almost universally known, but it's message (one of both the symbolism of the flaw of procrastination as well as the common questions man has about his own mortality) has been lost amongst the masses. Ironically, when the much lesser-known Polonius is imparting some fatherly advice to Laertes, he states "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." Which message do you think has lasted more strongly throughout the ages? While many people can spout out the beginning of the young Prince's words, do they really understand it's meaning (or can they even give the next 3 lines)?
In short, if one is truly interested in having your words heard and making a lasting impression, one must break up one's thoughts into smaller, more manageable chunks. Time after time, one will find that one serves oneself better by making proper use of their thoughts, and consequently their time and effort, by utilizing that time-honored tool of brevity.

(Reason for edit: I had more to say)

Last edited by Heytherejeffro on Mon May 03, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

15Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:I've often considered this point. Many times, while perusing the internet, I find page after page of message boards just filled with rambling, long-winded, on-going, relentless, never-ending posts about trite, unimportant, banal, overly-expressed minutiae. Think, if you will, that the internet, as well as most forms of popular culture, has become a gathering place of self-important, overly-opinionated, brash arrogance. Most people will type a post because they are interested in seeing not only the responses that they might garner, but simply to admire the "art" that they've produced on the screen. One could easily call to numerous points in the past in which we've been cornered at some form of social gathering (think "message boards filled with living humans") in which a person would consistently and voraciously express their opinions about multiple subjects while barely taking a moment to let another person rebut.
I think it was Voltaire, or possibly an episode of the now-long-defunct sitcom "Boston Common" that taught me that the key to good communication is brevity. I couldn't agree more! When looking to make an impression, is it not the short words of wisdom that stay with us, as opposed to the long drawn-out speeches that leave (one can assume) both the reader and speaker exhausted? There's a reason that Chinese restaurants serve fortunes in cookies, and not cakes; the longer the message, the less memorable it will be.
In William Shakespeare's Hamlet, there are two (2) lines that tend to be the most quoted. Most famously, Hamlet's soliloquy beginning "To be or not to be, that is the question..." is almost universally known, but it's message (one of both the symbolism of the flaw of procrastination as well as the common questions man has about his own mortality) has been lost amongst the masses. Ironically, when the much lesser-known Polonius is imparting some fatherly advice to Laertes, he states "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." Which message do you think has lasted more strongly throughout the ages? While many people can spout out the beginning of the young Prince's words, do they really understand it's meaning (or can they even give the next 3 lines)?
In short, if one is truly interested in having your words heard and making a lasting impression, one must break up one's thoughts into smaller, more manageable chunk. Time after time, one will find that one serves oneself better by making proper use of their thoughts, and consequently their time and effort, by utilizing that time-honored tool of brevity.

tl;dr

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

16Long Posts - How long is too long? Empty Re: Long Posts - How long is too long? Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:

This was one of the first posts by you I've ever actually read. Laughing

Bah! Laughing

Heytherejeffro wrote:I've often considered this point. Many times, while perusing the internet, I find page after page of message boards just filled with rambling, long-winded, on-going, relentless, never-ending posts about trite, unimportant, banal, overly-expressed minutiae. Think, if you will, that the internet, as well as most forms of popular culture, has become a gathering place of self-important, overly-opinionated, brash arrogance. Most people will type a post because they are interested in seeing not only the responses that they might garner, but simply to admire the "art" that they've produced on the screen. One could easily call to numerous points in the past in which we've been cornered at some form of social gathering (think "message boards filled with living humans") in which a person would consistently and voraciously express their opinions about multiple subjects while barely taking a moment to let another person rebut.
In short, if one is truly interested in having your words heard and making a lasting impression, one must break up one's thoughts into smaller, more manageable chunks. Time after time, one will find that one serves oneself better by making proper use of their thoughts, and consequently their time and effort, by utilizing that time-honored tool of brevity.

(Reason for edit: I had more to say)

Ha! I actually read all of that. I disagree about the Hamlet quote but I'll leave that point alone.

That said, while brevity has its uses but at the same time, it can be tedious, esepcially when the person could probably send home their point with more explanation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum