Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jeph Loeb Appointed Marvel's Head of Televison

+5
Off_White_Lantern
rwe1138
krpykrwly
Paroxysm
Bigtymin504
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26892

Official Press Release

Marvel Entertainment, LLC announced today that it has appointed Jeph Loeb as Executive Vice President, Head of Television, a newly created division of Marvel Entertainment. In this new role, Mr. Loeb will work alongside Dan Buckley, Publisher & President of the Print, Animation & Digital Divisions, Marvel Worldwide, Inc., to translate Marvel’s popular characters and stories to the television medium, in both live-action and animation formats. In addition to these responsibilities, Mr. Loeb will oversee the development and distribution of live-action, animated and direct-to-DVD series. Mr. Loeb was previously a Marvel-exclusive Eisner-Award-winning comic book writer and an Emmy-nominated writer for his work on NBC’s Heroes. The announcement was made today by Alan Fine, Executive Vice President, Office of the President and Chairman of Marvel Studios’ Creative Committee, and by Mr. Buckley, to whom Mr. Loeb will report.

Mr. Fine stated, “It’s with tremendous pride that I announce the creation of our Marvel Television division and the appointment of Jeph Loeb as Executive Vice President. His work in the comic book field is in a class of its own, showing his passion and talent for bringing Marvel’s finest characters to life in an innovative manner. Jeph’s work on multiple award-winning television series and popular films has shown fans worldwide his ability to deliver thrilling entertainment in a number of media. With Jeph as our EVP, fans will experience the highest quality and most exciting television projects featuring their favorite Marvel characters.”

“I couldn’t be happier to accept this new position at Marvel Entertainment, working with both Dan and Alan to deliver exciting, cutting edge television projects,” said Mr. Loeb. “Marvel continues to break new ground in storytelling in both their comic book and film ventures, so, along with everyone here, I’m excited to bring the same brand of excitement into homes across the globe.”

Mr. Loeb has written acclaimed stories featuring every major super hero in comics, including Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Daredevil, Spider-Man, the X-Men and more. Multiple-time winner of the prestigious Eisner Award for his writing, Mr. Loeb quickly established himself as one of the most sought after writers in the comic industry. Mr. Loeb also served as writer/producer on television series Smallville and Lost; writer/co-executive producer on Heroes; and writer of hit films Commando and Teen Wolf.

He has a lot of experience and success in television, seems like the perfect fit for this position.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Wow. Where DC is going in the right direction by promoting Geoff Johns and Jim Lee to be the Head Honchos, Marvel is going the other way with Jeph "Don't spell it with an F" Loeb. Not good.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Is this position to take over whatever Craig Kyle's been doing?

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

rwe1138

rwe1138

Congrats to Jeph.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

lol dude has been a has been for years now in comics so move him to tv. I did like season one of Heroes which he had a hand in. Although the following seasons that led to him being fired were pretty awful.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So. I don't get this. Does Marvel have stuff on television? I mean, besides that cartoon Superhero Squad?

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ok. Re-read the article. Does this mean that he won't have any time to actually write comics? Not that I mind you see, but I'm just kind of curious.

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:So. I don't get this. Does Marvel have stuff on television? I mean, besides that cartoon Superhero Squad?

As far as new episodes, I believe just Iron Man: Armored Adventures

Spectacular Spider-Man/Wolverine and the X-Men are still on the air with with no new episodes, however.

Upcomimg:
Black Panther
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

I think I heard about a Thor animated series?

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:So. I don't get this. Does Marvel have stuff on television? I mean, besides that cartoon Superhero Squad?

As far as new episodes, I believe just Iron Man: Armored Adventures

Spectacular Spider-Man/Wolverine and the X-Men are still on the air with with no new episodes, however.

Upcomimg:
Black Panther
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

I think I heard about a Thor animated series?
Ah. It's a decent amount of stuff. Cool.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There is also the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon that's coming next year.

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Not to mention future live-actions shows...potentially characters like Strange, Luke Cage (Heroes for Hire), Iron Fist, Runaways, etc.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

As much as I hate Loeb as a comic book creator, I don't see what it has to do with his Hollywood/television career. If this new job takes him away from comics and also results in some good Marvel-based TV shows, I welcome this move. Aside from Heroes and Smallville (in both cases they would have become terrible with or without his involvement; obviously the latter continued way after Loeb was no longer a producer) his work outside of the comics industry was pretty good.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Not to mention future live-actions shows...potentially characters like Strange, Luke Cage (Heroes for Hire), Iron Fist, Runaways, etc.
Yes.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Not to mention future live-actions shows...potentially characters like Strange, Luke Cage (Heroes for Hire), Iron Fist, Runaways, etc.

I could completely go for a Dr Strange live action tv series. It would be something completely different - more along an X-Files/Supernatural line rather than traditional super-hero fare.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I do agree with Tomer that his non-comic work has been pretty good for the most part and I would love to see what he can bring to this new position. Should be interesting.

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

I was wondering that too. Johns does Smallville now and DC also has Human Target running but Marvel just has cartoons I think. Maybe hes gonna do cartoon scripts or something?

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Tomer Soiker wrote:As much as I hate Loeb as a comic book creator, I don't see what it has to do with his Hollywood/television career. If this new job takes him away from comics and also results in some good Marvel-based TV shows, I welcome this move. Aside from Heroes and Smallville (in both cases they would have become terrible with or without his involvement; obviously the latter continued way after Loeb was no longer a producer) his work outside of the comics industry was pretty good.

Yes.

Okay I admit that Smallville is a guilty pleasure. I started watching in middle school and still get the seasons on dvd since Im never home when they air. The show definately changed for the better after his departure. Every episode for the first few seasons were generic storyline: meteor freak villians with a power. Said villiam gets beat at the end by Clark. Lana gives Clark Doe eyes while Dawsons Creek music plays into the credits lol.

I love seeing all these characters like Zatanna, the Legion of Superheroes, Wonder Twins, Black Canary and most of all Supergirl come to life. No more of the cheap meteor storylines and no Lana Lang.

The Christopher Reeve episodes were really good during Loebs run.

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Loeb full interview
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/30/jeph-loeb-talks-marvel-television-live-action-heroes-and-how-disney-factors-into-all-of-it/

MTV NEWS: Jeph, the description of the new Marvel Television division in the initial press release was a little vague, so maybe you can fill in some of the details. What's the gig all about?

JEPH LOEB: Well, Marvel took a look at the success they've had in being able to do the feature film division and really remain true to the core characters and the fanbase, and once the buyout with Disney happened, it became obvious that, given that Disney also owns networks, it was only a matter of time before we all got into the television business together. So, under the guidance of Alan Fine and Dan Buckley, they asked whether or not I wanted to take the experiences I've had working in television both in live-action and animation, and bring them over a run a television division.

MTV: Some people have noted that the new division seems to fall under Marvel's publishing arm and not Marvel Entertainment. What's the hierarchy with Marvel Television?

LOEB: I think each division feeds up through Marvel Entertainment. Marvel Television is a new division that's been formed to handle live-action animation and direct-to-DVD animation.

MTV: So how does Disney factor into all of this? Is the goal to develop all these on Disney networks?

LOEB: Our primary goal right now is, given that Disney has so many outlets — the immediate ones being the Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC, and ABC Family — that's a pretty great place to start.

This is one of the main reasons why I was excited by the Disney/Marvel deal. There are so many great possibilities now for seeing Marvel shows, animated and live-action, on TV. And the fact that Marvel Television will directly produce them like Marvel Studios has done with their films means this stuff should be top-notch.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Very very interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum