Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks

+6
Batman25JM
Rath99
comicgeekelly
Administrator
Lee
BlueMaxx
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

190s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:25 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/06/the_12_most_gimmick-y_gimmick_comic_covers_of_the.php

290s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

*sigh*

I was working on basically this exact same piece. Ah, well. Better stow it for later. Curse you, robot! CURSE YOOOUUUUU!!!

http://www.leerodriguez.net

390s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I have Spider-Man #26. Bought it many eons ago for cheap in some store. The story is okay, as far as I can remember.

I think I saw Protectors #5 once in a quarter bin...

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

490s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:41 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Out of those I think I have Spider-Man #26 and Web of Spider-Man #90.

590s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee wrote:*sigh*

I was working on basically this exact same piece. Ah, well. Better stow it for later. Curse you, robot! CURSE YOOOUUUUU!!!

Lee I thought of you when I saw this story. I think you can use your dome and still put a PoP! twist on it.

690s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:21 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:I have Spider-Man #26. Bought it many eons ago for cheap in some store. The story is okay, as far as I can remember.

I think I saw Protectors #5 once in a quarter bin...

comicgeekelly wrote:Out of those I think I have Spider-Man #26 and Web of Spider-Man #90.
I'm sure I had a few, but the only one that comes to mind is Punisher #75.
90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks 75-4

And who didn't have a few comic covers with the holes in them. Superman Returns issue of whatever and a couple Punisher comics had fake bullet holes in them.

Oh, and I still have this little "gem".
90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Eclipso1

790s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:39 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Does anybody remember what issue of West Coast Avengers was the one with the shiny red cover?

890s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Of the 12 issues the only one that I have is Robin III #1. Though I'm pretty sure I have one of those Spider-Man issues. I don't know for sure which one. I bought a bunch of older comics a couple of years ago from my LCS when they were having a huge sale. I have them all packed away and in all honesty I never really looked at them much so I can't remember what all I bought.

990s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:Does anybody remember what issue of West Coast Avengers was the one with the shiny red cover?
90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Wca100-01_medium

1090s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 am

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks 75-4
HAVE!
Love that cover. Laughing

1190s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:16 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
comicgeekelly wrote:Does anybody remember what issue of West Coast Avengers was the one with the shiny red cover?

Yup there it is. How did this not make it on the list?

1290s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 am

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

I have that Protectors issue as well as the grave Spider-Man. I thought Protectors issue was a pretty decent story, but the hole was beyond stupid because it was in the middle of some important stuff.

1390s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:
Not sure. There were so many in the 90s.

1490s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Man, there are so many that didn't make the list. X-men were notorious for gimmick covers in the 90's.

Fatal Attractions
Phalanx Covenant
Anniversary issues

Then there was a "What If.." book with a shiny skeleton of Wolverine because during the issue he was killed by Hulk.

Then Image had a slew of their own.. WildC.A.T.'s, Youngblood, Brigade..

Even Valiant got in on it with Solar and Bloodshot

Batman had the embossed/cutaway cover when Az-bats took over. And Superman had his bagged issues for the death and resurrection arcs.

And if you haven't guessed, yes, I collected these like a fanboy sheep Laughing

1590s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 am

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

The Venom series had a lot of them too. #1 was glow in the dark, which btw looked badass, and the one with him and Punisher was all sparkly.

1690s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh, then there was this one where the holofoil basically threw up on the cover. But it did it's job, because I stared at that comic every week when I was 14 with $2 in my pocket trying to decide what book to buy

90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Ninjak110cgg

1790s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 am

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

I still like all those better than variant covers.

1890s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have alot of those, my favorite will be the Superman/Lobo colorforms cover though. I had a blast with that cover

Last edited by Denim on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

1990s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Denim wrote:my favotrei will be the Superman/Lobo colorforms cover though. I had a blast with that cover

I gotta admit, I read that and thought, "that's actually pretty cool". I was looking at the picture arranging the pieces in my mind Laughing

2090s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:25 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[quote="Astro13Zombie"]
BlueMaxx wrote:
HAVE!
Love that cover. Laughing
Such a cool cover. Not sure where it went. That makes me a sad Oksana Grigorieva.

Janson wrote:I still like all those better than variant covers.
I'd say Image was the worst with the variants. And that's excluding Gen 13's craziness. The variants for a lot of series would easily go into "D" or "E" for the first couple issues of a series.

2190s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have the Pulp Fiction cover from Gen 13 and a big poster of the Victoria's Secret one. I was supposed to get the slipcase of all the covers and because I did not, that was what led me to leave a comic store. They sold it to someone else after I had ordered it. Now keep in mind, I was on my way to pick it up the day it came out, and because the guy offered them 20 bucks over what they were gonna get from me, the owner said, "no problem."

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

2290s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:30 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

comicgeekelly wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:

It actually did make the list. The Avengers cover that is featured, is listed as part of a series of gimmick covers from the series at the time (every third issue, or so they say).

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2390s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Empty Re: 90s' "Best" 12 Comic Cover Gimmicks Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^ Oh okay, I figured that just meant the main Avengers book.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum