Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sherlock

+2
riv1
Foreigner_Man
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sherlock Empty Sherlock Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Sherlock 11acy7r

The world’s favourite detective has emerged from the fog. With sparkling scripts and unforgettable performances from the two leads, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) and Martin Freeman (John Watson), this is Sherlock for a new generation.

Sherlock Holmes was always a modern man. It’s the world that got old. Now he’s back as he should be: edgy, contemporary, difficult – and dangerous – in three new dramas on BBC One.

Watson, a doctor, soldier and war hero, is fresh from military service in Afghanistan. A chance encounter brings him into the world of Sherlock Holmes, a loner, detective and genius. The two men couldn’t be more different, but Sherlock’s inspired leaps of intellect, coupled with John’s pragmatism, soon forge an unbreakable alliance.

A woman in pink lies dead in a derelict house, the fourth in a series of impossible suicides. DI Lestrade is the best Scotland Yard has got, but even he knows he can’t compare to the young man who can tell a software designer by his tie or an airline pilot by his thumb.

Sherlock has a unique analytical mind, earning his living and staving off boredom by solving crimes. The weirder and more baffling the better…

Across three thrilling, scary, action-packed and hugely entertaining episodes, Sherlock and John navigate a maze of cryptic clues and lethal killers to get at the truth.

Sherlock Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, John Watson by Martin Freeman, Mrs Hudson by Una Stubbs, Inspector Lestrade by Rupert Graves, Molly Hooper by Louise Brealey and Sargeant Sally Donovan by Vinette Robinson.

First episode is written by Steven Moffat, directed by Paul McGuigan and will be on BBC1 July 25th @ 9:00. IDK when it'll be showing on BBC America (or if it will be showing on BBC America). I don't think any footage has been shown yet.

Any thoughts? Holmes in present day seems strange to me, but I'm interested to see how this goes.

2Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Trailer:

Don't really care for the music..it's not bad, just not something I'm used to seeing w/Holmes. Other than that, I'm still interested; like the actors and it's usually fun seeing Holmes be a bit of a you-know-what. Keen to see what Moffat & co. has in store.

3Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like the hero in another time concept (Gotham by Gaslight anyone?), so this really appeals to me. Thank you for this info, it's something i'm definatley going to try and follow.

4Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^Not a problem man. I'll try to let you know when it's on BBC America if I find out.

-------
Interview w/Moffat & Gatiss: http://www.denofgeek.com/television/544043/steven_moffat_and_mark_gatiss_interview_sherlock.html

5Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:40 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Muchas grassy ass, sir. Appreciate it!

6Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Freaking BFRILLIANT!

Just watched the first episode. They transitioned Holmes and his whole supporting cast into the 21st century flawlessly. It didn't feel at all forced. I love how the story is as much about Watson as it is Holmes, and how they threw in so many little nuggets for people who are familiar with the character(s) beyond the surface stuff. highly recommend this show.

7Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:29 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Interesting. So is this set in modern times? It looks pretty cool.

8Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh, it totally rocks. First episode text message scene is to die for!

9Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That looks kick ass...hope it comes to BBC America soon.

10Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:01 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

www.letmewatchthis.com

Look it up under the TV show tab. Watched episode 2 this morning, and it was great!

11Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

riv1 wrote:www.letmewatchthis.com

Look it up under the TV show tab. Watched episode 2 this morning, and it was great!

friggin A!! Guess I know what I'm doin' when I get home. Smile

Last edited by FroZen on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My bad...Iz got the potty mouth..or fingers..or whatever..)

12Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Please, this is a PG 13 Board!

13Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

my bad blink

14Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was only kidding!

15Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:20 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wink

16Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:36 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hey, did you catch the 3rd episode yet? Great ending!

17Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Man, how awesome was this series? Loved it!

The acting was terrific..Benedict and Martin were fantastic, and even Mark Gatiss joins the fun as a certain character from the mythos, but w/an interesting twist..what did you guys think?. I loved the way they portrayed Holmes; they kinda took Doyle's character and threw in RDJ's portrayal by 10..Holmes is a guy who finds homicides as challenges, keeps a head in his fridge, uses nicotine patches, fires a gun thru the wall when he has nothing better to do, and can tell your life story by just looking at you. Benedict pulls that off quite well and kinda reminds me of Tom Baker (and yeah he does sound like Alan Rickman)..it'd be interesting to see him take on 'Who.' Freeman's Watson isn't the bumbling comic foil like he was in the old Basil films, thankfully, and is a great match for Sherlock. Also loved the update from writer to blogger..the update to modern day worked surprisingly quite well..the first text scene was terrific.

Moffat's first episode was great, setting it all up and giving us a good mystery. The second episode is a mixed bag I think..fun character work, but the mystery wasn't as intriguing. And then of course theres the third episode. Why can't Gatiss' Doctor Who episodes be this good? This was excellent. Wow, just wow. Moriarty appears, and personally I didn't find it disappointing. Dang, this was a great way to end the series, and I loved the fact that when Moriarty shows up, he brings out the more heroic side of Holmes (enjoyed the moment btwn Watson & Holmes where Sherlock says there aren't any heroes but if there were Watson would be one of em). When the man pulls back the curtain, he certainly gives Holmes a run for his money...very DK Joker-esque. And that ending..fantastic! Television at it's best. A definite way to get a second series (which they did by the way..can't wait). That's not the last we've seen of Sherlock. Brilliant, highly recommended!

Question for you guys who've seen it: What'd you think of the ending? I thought it was very clever.
Spoiler:

18Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ooh, i hadn't thought about the last two points. Good calls!

Your synopsis of the series was excellent. I agree on Moriarty, he was played to the hilt, very DK Joker indeed. Can't wait for more Holmes!

19Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:05 am

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Really loved this show! I wonder if Mr. Cumberbatch was in the running for Doctor Who until a certain Matt Smith walked away with the role? He'd have certainly put an interesting spin on the character but, as you say, a little too Tom Bakery perhaps. Back to Sherlock, It was fantastic. I thought it was particularly telling that there was no need to update Watson's backstory. That old imperialist war in Afghanistan is still rumbling on a hundred years later. I liked the text messages and other visual trickery that was used to denote Holmes' deductive observations. How they resisted the temptation to have Watson say 'No shit Sherlock' I'll never know. Gattis is a good writer but a little too in love with 'genre' pastiche. It's odd that his Doctor Who scripts are so dire. Can't wait for Sherlock season two.

20Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 am

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Been hearing good things about this. Thanks for the link riv1. Very Happy

21Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:17 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No sweat, and i thank Foreigner_Man for turning me onto the series in the first place!

22Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:58 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^No problem. And to keep this thread going, Moff& co. have suggested adapting some classic stories..any stories you guys want to see adapted?

23Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gotta go Hound of the Baskervilles. One of the best known.

24Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^Definitely that one! And maybe for their last episode on Series 2 if they want to end on another cliffhanger (which I'm sure they do), they could do 'The Final Problem,' the one which ends with Moriarty and Holmes going down a waterfall. Any others?

25Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, i'd say The Empty House, as it's the return of Sherlock after his "death". Watson could still be investigating crimes, having gotten the bug from Sherlock, and go from there. Of course, some things'd have to be fudged. Not years spent travelling, but months, and maybe Mycroft didn't know he was alive like he did in the story.

After that, any number of the Doyle stories could be adapted, from either period of Sherlock's career. I mean, this is fiction, it doesn't have to make sense!
That said, the original, modern stories are great, but adapting the occasional Doyle story would provide a good challenge to the creative force behind the series i think.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum