Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Little Star Wars-loving geek girl being bullied :(

+12
Sandman
Heytherejeffro
prescribeddrone
WonderWoman2.0
BlueMaxx
shark6495
Big Poppa Nick
goatt
rwe1138
comicgeekelly
Spaced4SimonPegg
Captain Painway
16 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This was just brought to my attention by a roller derby friend of mine.

Anti-Bullying Starts in First Grade

November 15-19 is Anti-Bullying Week at the schools. Like so many others, I have been reading with dismay about the recent victims of bullying, and I ache inside for the pain these young people have experienced.

I have often thought of bullying as a problem that faces children older than mine, but a recent conversation with my first grader has given me pause. Maybe it starts right here, right now with our little ones.

At summer's end, Katie and I went to Target to pick out her backpack, lunchbox and water bottle for the new school year. After great deliberation, she chose a Star Wars water bottle to match her Star Wars backpack.

Katie loves Star Wars, and she was very excited about her new items. For the first few months of school, she proudly filled her water bottle herself and helped me pack her lunch each morning.

But a week ago, as we were packing her lunch, Katie said, "My Star Wars water bottle is too small. It doesn't hold enough water. Can I take a different one?" She searched through the cupboard until she found a pink water bottle and said, "I'll bring this."

I was perplexed. "Katie, that water bottle is no bigger than your Star Wars one. I think it is actually smaller."

"It's fine, I'll just take it," she insisted.

I kept pushing the issue, because it didn't make sense to me. Suddenly, Katie burst into tears.

She wailed, "The first grade boys are teasing me at lunch because I have a Star Wars water bottle. They say it's only for boys. Every day they make fun of me for drinking out of it. I want them to stop, so I'll just bring a pink water bottle."

I hugged her hard and felt my heart sink. Such a tender young age, and already she is embarrassed about the water bottle that brought her so much excitement and joy a few months ago.

Is this how it starts? Do kids find someone who does something differently and start to beat it out of her, first with words and sneers? Must my daughter conform to be accepted?

The confusing part for me is that I know these first grade boys. I can't simply see them as random mean boys bullying my baby. They are good kids individually, and Katie often plays happily with them.

But when you put the boys together in a pack, maybe they start to feel vulnerable and insecure, which causes them to do unkind things, such as tease my daughter for carrying a Star Wars water bottle.

Maybe they do it to get laughs out of each other. Maybe they do it because if they are busy teasing Katie, nobody will tease one of them. Maybe they do it because they want her attention and have limited social skills at this age.

"Katie, it is okay to be different. Not all girls need to drink out of pink water bottles," I told her.

"I don't want to be too different," Katie lamented. "I'm already different. Nobody else in my class wears glasses or a patch, and nobody else was adopted. Now I'm even more different, because of my Star Wars water bottle."

Katie cannot control the fact that she is different due to adoption or poor eyesight. But she can control what accessories she carries to school, and she is trying to exercise that control. She has learned that there are degrees of being different, and she wants to minimize how different she is.

Being different is a complicated topic. We say that we celebrate diversity, and we preach tolerance. But at the same time, we as adults are often fearful of those who are different. I see people tease each other for being gay or poor or overweight. I see grown-ups bullying others for holding different religious and political beliefs.

I see people publicly lauding diversity and privately attacking those who are different.

It trickles down to kids teasing each other for the types of toys they prefer. So it starts now, with a couple first graders and a water bottle. Right here, right now, we as a community need to recognize the slippery slope of bullying those who are different. We need to show our support for each other's choices, as long as they do no harm.

I talked to Katie about all my musings. Talking about it is the best defense. I have urged her to bring the Star Wars water bottle if that is what she really wants to do, even if it makes her different. Today, she felt brave enough to bring it. I hope that she is able to eat her lunch without feeling nervous.

I would love to be able to show Katie that she is not alone, that other females appreciate Star Wars. If there are any female Star Wars fans reading this, please feel free to show your support for Katie. I will let her read your messages or comments, and I think she will be surprised by what I suspect is a vast number of female fans.

And if you have a little boy out there who wants to carry a pink water bottle, tell him about Katie and reassure him that if she can carry a "boy" water bottle, he can carry a "girl" water bottle. Let's help all our kids grow into confident adults who can appreciate being different.

Wow! Katie is overjoyed by the comments coming in!!! My sweet first grade daughter has been sitting with me at the computer, reading aloud all the wonderful, supportive notes from readers, and her face is shining. Each night after dinner, we are going to sit together, and she is going to read several comments to me and her daddy. We are going to print the comments out and make a book for her to read whenever she feels the need. Today she wore a Star Wars shirt to school and said to me, "Tell the people about it!!!!" This is really restoring her self confidence. She did a jaunty little pirouette in her Star Wars shirt before school. Thank you, Carrie.

I think all the geek girls (and guys who love geek girls) on here should go leave a comment at http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/portrait_of_an_adoption/2010/11/anti-bullying-starts-in-first-grade.html (registration required) or at http://www.epbot.com/2010/11/geek-girls-activate.html (no registration required).

http://likeitderby.com

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ahhh poor little girl Sad I remember in school I had the same thing happen to me. I had anything and everything Transformers and I heard the "its just for boys thing too" and I know acceptance is such a high priority at that age. I have a 2nd grader and I have heard it from her that boys tell her its a boys thing when she has worn a Transformer, Spiderman and other comic characters clothing. I tell her to tell them "its not just a boy thing its an everyone thing."

Next time this little girl encounters the "haters" she needs to think to herself "What would Princess Leia do?" Very Happy

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That is just all kinds of wrong. That is why I fucking hate little kids. Buncha douchebags.

rwe1138

rwe1138

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
Next time this little girl encounters the "haters" she needs to think to herself "What would Princess Leia do?" Very Happy
Strangle them with chains?

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

goatt

goatt
Pirate
Pirate

sounds like a future FGoTM to me....

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

You may be onto something there.

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Little kids can be so mean....

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:
Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
Strangle them with chains?
Shoot them with laser guns with pinpoint accuracy?

With all this support, she'll get through this. She's already awesome. I just hope she stays the course and shows up the mean kids, without sinking to their level of pettiness.

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Awww! I love the amount of support that she's received. Even Catherine Taber and Felicia Day have posted comments for her. Smile If only my mom had had a blog when I got the tar kicked out of me for coming to our Halloween party in 2nd grade as the White Ranger! Wink Another little boy was wearing the same costume and he got mad and then he his friend socked me. Rargh...I think I just told him he was jealous that I was a better White Ranger than he was.

Support the future nerd girls of the world. Just do it.

http://effyeahmegwhite.tumblr.com/

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Done.

I realized I made a typo... oh well not that bad.

"Don't EVER let people discouraging you from being a fan of something! Who are they to tell you what you should enjoy?

Even at my age (I'm 26) when I see a girl in say, a Batman shirt- I think that's shes awesome for wearing it and I hope she really likes Batman, because that just makes her even cooler.

So you should be always yourself and not ashamed of it! If you act fake to impress people, they aren't worthy of being your friends."

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I made fun of a kid for wearing a Nickelback shirt.

I was just busting his balls, but I was really ashamed of myself instantly for it. I immediately apologized in front of the class and reminded him that taste is all relative (and that I like lots of things he probably thinks are terrible), and that they're millionaires, so I have no room to speak in that regard.

Nickelback is terrible, though.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I will say something slightly unpopular here, though.

While bullying (the defined, repeated act of bullying) is horrible, I feel like the word itself has become overused and misplaced. We teachers are constantly on the lookout for bullying, and there's a fine line between "kids will be kids" and "bullying".

Kids are being overly-coddled and reminded of how unique and special they are. We're being forced to lighten work-loads because the kids are "too busy". Parents choose to be lawyers rather than parents in regards to their childrens' academia.

My fear (and it's not just mine) is that the focus of schools has shifted from "preparing children to be adults" to "making sure every child has great self-esteem".

I had to recently remind my students that the real world doesn't care how unique and special they are. I apologized to them for babying them. I apologized for lowering my expectations, and assured them that I would respect them enough to challenge them.

This mother is actually 100% right in what she said, wrote, and how she acted. I applaud her for parenting instead of lawyering the situation. Being a child has been socially self-regulatory for quite some time. I feel like, as adults get more and more involved in the events after the fact (ex: "My kid is being bullied on Facebook!" with the reply of "Why the hell is your CHILD on Facebook?"), it's making it harder and harder for kids to actually grow.

*steps off soapbox*

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:I will say something slightly unpopular here, though.

While bullying (the defined, repeated act of bullying) is horrible, I feel like the word itself has become overused and misplaced. We teachers are constantly on the lookout for bullying, and there's a fine line between "kids will be kids" and "bullying".

Kids are being overly-coddled and reminded of how unique and special they are. We're being forced to lighten work-loads because the kids are "too busy". Parents choose to be lawyers rather than parents in regards to their childrens' academia.

My fear (and it's not just mine) is that the focus of schools has shifted from "preparing children to be adults" to "making sure every child has great self-esteem".

I had to recently remind my students that the real world doesn't care how unique and special they are. I apologized to them for babying them. I apologized for lowering my expectations, and assured them that I would respect them enough to challenge them.

This mother is actually 100% right in what she said, wrote, and how she acted. I applaud her for parenting instead of lawyering the situation. Being a child has been socially self-regulatory for quite some time. I feel like, as adults get more and more involved in the events after the fact (ex: "My kid is being bullied on Facebook!" with the reply of "Why the hell is your CHILD on Facebook?"), it's making it harder and harder for kids to actually grow.

*steps off soapbox*

I agree 100% with you on all counts. in all honesty bullying is a part of life. Is it a good thing? maybe. I think it is wrong, of course but at the same time it toughens the kids up for when they are older. Things fo not always go thier way when they get older, I think it would help them alittle with any future disappointments, instead of being coddled all thier lives and having to deal with it the first time in the work force

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^^^ agreed... on all accounts.... Bullying is being over used. There is a fine line, and Jeffro you are right. But good for you for taking a stand in your classroom. When teasing turns to bullying then yes something has to be done, from a teachers stand point, but when your kid comes home you should act like a parent and use it as a teaching opportunity not an opportunity to show your child that lawyers need to be involved

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

at first this story made me sad, but im happy to see she's getting a ton of support online. i posted a comment on the second link.

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just to beat up the bullies at my school.. we need to teach her the way of spazzy stabbings Twisted Evil

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:

She'd get herself kidnapped by some sweaty fatass perv that never leaves his bed, and then make out with her own brother, that's what.

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

awwwwwwwwwwww

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]