Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

2011 Oscar Nominees

+8
G_Zatara
AlienIncognito
Spaced4SimonPegg
krpykrwly
(._Y_.)
melvinlikechris
Joshua
Debaser77
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12011 Oscar Nominees Empty 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/25/oscars-2011-nominees-list-academy-awards-nominations_n_813399.html

I LOVE that Winter's Bone got nods for Best Picture and acting nods for Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. None of them will win, but it's awesome that such a small film is getting some attention from the Academy.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to see Exit Through the Gift Shop nominated for Best Documentary, since its "trueness" has been up for debate. It's still one of the most entertaining movies of 2010.

22011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Some good picks, to be sure, but Christopher Nolan getting snubbed again for Best Director and How to Train Your Dragon getting a Best Animated nom over Tangled just serve to remind me how quality often has no bearing on the Academy Awards.

I still think having 10 nomination for Best Picture is a fruitless attempt in trying to lure in more viewers. Obviously the only movies that have a chance in the category are those that are also up for Best Director.

32011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No nominations for Piranha 3D?!

42011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What did DiCaprio do to piss everyone off? The dude should have won an Oscar fricken 10 years ago.

52011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:37 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

meh. Never mind.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

62011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote: I still think having 10 nomination for Best Picture is a fruitless attempt in trying to lure in more viewers. Obviously the only movies that have a chance in the category are those that are also up for Best Director.

^ This. I hate the fact that there are 10 nominations because 5 of them don't need to be there. All it does is take away votes from movies that should probably win that won't.

melvinlikechris wrote:No nominations for Piranha 3D?!

Yes. I was mad about that Laughing

I have to say I am tired of Nicole Kidman getting nominated, but at least its not Meryl Streep again. And I feel really bad saying this but I have always felt that if Michelle Williams had never been involved with Heather Ledger she wouldn't even be noticed by the Academy.

72011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:All it does is take away votes from movies that should probably win that won't.
This isn't really an issue because of the way it's voted. Rather than a basic ballot system, voters rank all 10 movies in order of who they think they should win the most to least and nominations are pared out based on that. The process is repeated until a winner is found.

And I feel really bad saying this but I have always felt that if Michelle Williams had never been involved with Heather Ledger she wouldn't even be noticed by the Academy.
How so?

82011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^The Michelle Williams thing I don't know. She is a decent actress but it seemed people really started to notice her when she was dating Heath Ledger and then when he died people just kind of put her on a pedestal like she is this awesome actress and I just don't see it. don't know

92011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

She was winning acting awards long before Heath died. She was nominated for an Academy Award for Brokeback Mountain.

102011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^Yes but she was with him at the time. It is just a thought I have always had. Don't get me wrong I will watch movies with her in it.

112011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:^^The Michelle Williams thing I don't know. She is a decent actress but it seemed people really started to notice her when she was dating Heath Ledger and then when he died people just kind of put her on a pedestal like she is this awesome actress and I just don't see it. don't know

She's supposed to be amazing in Blue Valentine.

122011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:
Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:^^The Michelle Williams thing I don't know. She is a decent actress but it seemed people really started to notice her when she was dating Heath Ledger and then when he died people just kind of put her on a pedestal like she is this awesome actress and I just don't see it. don't know

She's supposed to be amazing in Blue Valentine.
I loved her in Shutter Island. In fact, she's pretty damn great in everything I've seen her in.

132011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 am

AlienIncognito

AlienIncognito
Pirate
Pirate

Especially Dawson's Creek!

142011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Firth and Portman are definite at this point.

152011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

AlienIncognito wrote:Especially Dawson's Creek!
Word, bitch! Dawson's Creek like a mu'fucker.

162011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Joshua wrote:How to Train Your Dragon getting a Best Animated nom over Tangled just serve to remind me how quality often has no bearing on the Academy Awards.

That is an odd omission, but I guess Disney didn't want two of their films to compete with one another for an award, so they didn't submit Tangled for consideration.

172011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Little_Goblyn

Little_Goblyn
Pirate
Pirate

I will not be watching this! Why is Scott Pilgrim not even up for music let alone anything!? It was a great movie damn it!!! angry

https://www.facebook.com/#!/christina.reichl

182011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nolan getting snubbed proves these awards are bullshit.

192011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Look at the other Best Picture noms that made a lot of money. They didn't get nominated either. It is a shame though.

202011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think Tron: Legacy has been unfairly snubbed. I realize its not a 'prestigious' film, but it at least deserves some recognition for the visual effects.

212011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:
Joshua wrote:How to Train Your Dragon getting a Best Animated nom over Tangled just serve to remind me how quality often has no bearing on the Academy Awards.

That is an odd omission, but I guess Disney didn't want two of their films to compete with one another for an award, so they didn't submit Tangled for consideration.
Up and The Princess and the Frog were both nominated for Best Animated.

222011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

^ Good point. Then I have no idea why Tangled got snubbed, especially because it got a lot of critical acclaim.

232011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I watched The Town over the weekend, and although I really like Jeremy Renner as an actor, I really don't think he deserved a nod for his role here. He didn't really bring anything new to what was a pretty cliched role in a highly cliched movie.

242011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

interesting.. poor Mila though

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

252011 Oscar Nominees Empty Re: 2011 Oscar Nominees Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not normally a fan of child actors getting Oscars but I went to see True Grit last night and I thought Hailee Steinfeld was absolutely brilliant in that role. "Supporting Actor" often amuses me because I would have said the entire movie actually revolved around her and that she was the lead actress of the film but I guess it's all to do with billing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum