Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Outside the Longbox: Mad Men

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Empty Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=9357

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Empty Re: Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Season 4 opening (spoilers): It was a slow start for the most part. The new setting took me awhile to adjust and at first things seemed to be just the same. I loved Peggy going between a strong, proved creative lady and her old image as Don's young, unprofessional protege. Don, like me, couldn't adjust to the new position and era, but eventually something snapped in him and the end was fantastic. I don't really get why he needs to pay a woman to sleep with him all of a sudden... and what was that kinky part all about?

Roger was great as always. Joan was bitchy like she and everyone else love, but I still think her presence was pretty weak. And what about Lane Pryce? He's now a partner, but he was barely there. Betty and Henry's marriage life was boring (yeah, sure, the writers aimed for that...) and like his mom said, it's only based on passion. Sally will one day slap her mom and I'll cheer for her. I'm glad the young actress gets a recognition with a main credit. Pete was... okay. So far, I like the new kid (Matthew Long from Jack and Bobby and Ghost Rider). Surely there'll be something between him and Peggy.

Loved the second meeting with the bathing suits people, the two interviews, Don kicking a chair, having a date with a girl that looks just like Betty (Anna Camp from True Blood), Sally during Thanksgiving dinner and the ham part (they work too much with SNL...)

Didn't like the prostitute/slapping part, Betty's childish and obvious attitude, the slow pace (even for this show, it felt too slow), no references to 1964* pop culture.

* The episode was set about a year after JFK's assassination (see Season 3), the week of Thanksgiving that year and after the murder of civil rights activists in Mississippi the same year (referenced by Don's date).

3Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Empty Re: Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Season 4, Episode 2 (spoilers): The fall and deconstruction of Don Draper continues during the worst time of the year he could be a lone divorce, Christmas. His general behavior and failure with women peel the glamorous image he used to have for so many years. Succumbing to having sex with his secretary is not out of the ordinary, but his treatment (or lack thereof) the morning after is nothing to be taken for granted anymore, and I doubt he'll get out of it during an age of revolution.

The return of Freddy Rumsen was welcomed and I loved his interactions with Peggy, the talent he was first to discover, even when she got sick of him and told him the truth. She corrected it by later confiding in Freddy with her love life and then taking his advice. Her face in the end after finally sleeping with her boyfriend could be taken either way. I myself think she'll spend New Year's Eve alone, as she predicted earlier.

Didn't like the return of Glen, the creepy kid from Season 1, now moving from Betty Draper to her daughter Sally. Breaking into the Draper-Francis house on Christmas Eve only cemented him as a possible trouble in the future. I love Sally's rebellion, but hope she'll get wise and dump this jerk fast.

Also didn't like the return of Lucky Strike owner's son Lee Garner Jr. mostly known as the man responsible for the firing of Sal Romano after he declined his courting. Now, being the agency's biggest client, he abuses Roger Sterling on Christmas party. What an asshole.

I'm glad there was no focus this time on Betty/Henry. Peggy was great as always and I loved seeing Trudy back. I hope both Don's nurse neighbor and secretary characters will be developed (same as his relationships with both).

4Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Empty Re: Outside the Longbox: Mad Men Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been enjoying this season this far. I am still playing cath up though. I'm almost done with the first season's DVD commentaries./ Once I finish up the second season commentaries I'll finally get into the third season.

Im very glad I finally decided to give this show a chance because it is just fantastic and is easily one of my favorite current shows.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum