Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:34 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=10362

2Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Great article. Did my previous sig inspire this any?

3Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

BlueMaxx wrote:Great article. Did my previous sig inspire this any?

I actually had it in the planning stages for a while. It's one of those great movies that no one ever seems to talk about any more. Plus, it was a great excuse to post a Jennifer Connelly picture. Glad you liked it!

4Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:00 am

Sci-Fi

Sci-Fi
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I remember this film. Was weird to me. I kinda want to see it again though. And Maxx.. that is one strange signature.

5Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like Dark City a lot, I remember buying it in 2004, a bit late to it- but still.

6Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Welcome to PoP!, PD.

7Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanks! Smile glad to be here.

8Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Toothgrinder

Toothgrinder
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I just watched last week on UPN or 26. Interesting movie, I liked it. They should of called it Dark Movie, even on HD, I had to crank up the brightness. It was hard to tell what was going on at times.

9Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:33 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ It is best to watch in the dark with the contrast of the noir-shading in the film, ambient light from a lamp or something really shows on the screen.

10Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just rewatched it. I guess I've always knew this, but it is one of those things you don't realize until you're told, but the writer stated that these are all lost souls with no memories being experimentd on the parasitic aliens, and that it is like a purgatory. Tapping into Descarte with the tabula rasas (blank slates/no memories) of said "lost souls" and Kant with his theory of pre-established knowledge at birth, the writer wanted to present the fact that we are more than the sum of our memories. That there is something more. He went on to say that we are born to be who we are: the good sister, the murderer, the leader, the artist, the loner. Kind of bleak, but interesting.

Also, the writer dreamt up The Strangers. So that's kind of chilling.

I always considered that the world had ended and that The Strangers took over, perhaps destroyed it. But there was always the fact that they could've just abducted these people. Maybe from a different time all-together. They chose that timeframe of 30s/40s because it was a Depression-era, makes the subjects docile. Really interesting layers of the film that you can have entire conversations about. Just love it. And why this is easily one of my favorites. Top 10, easy.

11Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Empty Re: Holy Crap, Remember...Dark City? Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

The movie just works on so many levels. Fantastic!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum