Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment.

+29
potatojoe
Thundermatts
The Ignored One
Ric Magnum
Spider_Fan14
Lee
MillionDollarGeek
Foxy
blue halo
Rath99
SexyToaster
Babybear
Ska
Silent K
Mnemosis
rwe1138
krpykrwly
Esbat
Airwolf
superdoug
Administrator
shining knight
Debaser77
Tripper McGee
Ben Akers
Toothgrinder
Chi-Town Spidey
Joshua
elijahdprophet
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

101Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah....Disney's owned ABC for about four years, and I don't hear anyone bitching about the kid-friendly tone LOST suddenly took...oh, wait. IT DIDN'T.

Lots of panic and fear about something that won't affect the status quo in the slightest.

102Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:Yeah....Disney's owned ABC for about four years, and I don't hear anyone bitching about the kid-friendly tone LOST suddenly took...oh, wait. IT DIDN'T.
My point exactly. It's got less to do with people being concerned with Disney interfering and more to do with the question of, if they've NEVER interfered with companies they have acquired in the past, why is Marvel the sudden exception?

And four years? I thought Disney bought ABC back in 1996.

103Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
superdoug wrote:Yeah....Disney's owned ABC for about four years, and I don't hear anyone bitching about the kid-friendly tone LOST suddenly took...oh, wait. IT DIDN'T.

And four years? I thought Disney bought ABC back in 1996.

I should have put 'At Least' four years in there. I wasn't sure when the purchase actually happened.

104Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Lee wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:just saw the interveiw of this on attack of the show, didn't make me happy one too bit. But yeah, i get what you guys are saying of how Pirates of the Carribean was dark and kickass, they need jerry bruckhiemer-ness for these type of movies (excluding G-Force).
And Pirates of the Carribean is an in-house property. Marvel is now one of over a dozen OTHER companies under the Disney umbrella. Seriously, five years from now, no one will remember this even happened.

They will thanks to my already-in-the-can HCR "... When Disney Bought Marvel!?" The 5th Year Anniversary Edition.

Yes, that's right, I already wrote it, that's how sure I am of what the outcome of this will be.

105Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty disney to aquire marvel entertainment Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:they need jerry bruckhiemer-ness for these type of movies.
Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Monopoly-go-to-jail-card

this is a shot in the dark but your're not a fan of Bruckheimer, are you?

106Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:23 pm

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

Just my two cents. Disney HAS interfered, with ABC, Miramax and other companies that they own.

I was just looking up some stuff I knew they did and here is the full article about The Weinsteins leaving Miramax. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000836604

Specifically halfway through the article,
"Of course, independence has its upside: the freedom to discover talent and chase hard-edged movies without having to worry about an uptight, fiscally conservative corporate parent like Disney. New Co. would be able to release movies that Disney forced Miramax to offload, such as "Priest," "Dogma," "Kids," and "Fahrenheit 9/11," or movies it refused to allow Miramax to back, including "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. (Not a bad slate.) Conceivably, no longer part of an MPAA signatory company, the Weinsteins could even release a planned NC-17 version of Quentin Tarantino's merged action epic "Kill-Bill-Vols. 1 and 2."

Here's some more about problems with Disney relating to the Clerks cartoon.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003620/news?year=2000

"Fans of controversial filmmaker Kevin Smith are once again rallying to his support, following ABC's decision to postpone the debut of his animated sitcom Clerks (1994) until May 31st. On Smith's "The View Askew" fan site on the Internet, an unsigned article charges that the decision followed a recent test screening of the show for Disney Studios executives. "The suits decided they didn't understand its humor, " the article says, "and so they pushed it back to a summer release day. This almost ensures the show's failure." The article then goes on to urge Smith's fans to rally around Clerks (1994). "Don't give Disney what they want, " it concludes. "When this show airs, watch it if only to spite the Mouse."

While we all I think agree that Disney is a great company, they make money for their stockholders year after year, and produce a quality project, lets not pretend that they don't censor, or drop projects that they feel will hurt the Mouse.

I can see great synergy in the two companies, but I doubt that we will see it in the theme parks, until Disney feels that having a Marvel presence there will help things rather than hurt things. I think Pixar/Marvel movies would be the best bet on what their first collaboration will be.

As for the print game, expect Max to be phased out within the year, Boom! to publish their Disney stuff until the contract runs out, and here's a surprise prediction, Marvel's ICON titles will head to Avatar or most of them back to Image, as that line too will be phased out.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

107Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I skipped most of this thread, but imagine alot of people are crying because this means Mickey is going to be sharing a book with Cap. Nothing will change. Nothing whasoever, besides Disney probably distributing the movies. Annnnnd, the possibility that in a new Kingdom Heats game, Sora travels to the Marvel Movie universe! lol

108Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 pm

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

so this is what Marvel meant when they came out with the slogan for Embrace Change...

Now I get it...

109Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

The Clerks cartoon was ABC-related, not Disney.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

110Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee wrote:The Clerks cartoon was ABC-related, not Disney.

ABC is owned by Disney.

111Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 am

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

superdoug wrote:

ABC is owned by Disney.

True that. Kevin Smith actually tells the story in one of his dvds, and its quite funny. I know he does it on commentary for one, and again in one of the Evenings with.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

112Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

The Ignored One wrote:
superdoug wrote:

ABC is owned by Disney.

True that. Kevin Smith actually tells the story in one of his dvds, and its quite funny. I know he does it on commentary for one, and again in one of the Evenings with.
I realize that and I've got the "Evening With" DVD. I'm saying that the screwing of the Clerks was done at the network level at ABC, not from the higher ups at Disney.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

113Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Minnie-Mouse-family-guy-684176_800_600

http://realityfugitives.com/

114Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Toothgrinder

Toothgrinder
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Is the sale a sure thing? There's no way it'll get shot down because of anti-trust?

115Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:51 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Toothgrinder wrote:Is the sale a sure thing? There's no way it'll get shot down because of anti-trust?

I'm not sure how anti-trust would figure into it, since they're only buying one company. They won't hold a monopoly on the comics industry. Now, if they were already the owners of DC and Archie and Image, then there'd probably be a bit of a scuffle. But, as far as Wall Street and Hollywood are concerned, this is a done deal.

Again, this is not a bad thing. Disney is smart enough to not muck about too much with things that expand their consumer base. They've owned ABC for years, and they still have shows that are adult fare (LOST, Grey's Anatomy, Castle, etc.)

116Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Toothgrinder

Toothgrinder
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I'm not sure either but when I heard it mentioned on the news it said pending passing anti-trust laws.

117Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty disney to aquire marvel entertainment Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Toothgrinder wrote:I'm not sure either but when I heard it mentioned on the news it said pending passing anti-trust laws.
what are anti-trust laws?

118Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:07 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Toothgrinder wrote:I'm not sure either but when I heard it mentioned on the news it said pending passing anti-trust laws.
what are anti-trust laws?

Laws designed to keep any one company from monopolizing any one area of business or commodity, i.e., railroads, newspapers, water commissions, telephone service, etc.

119Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:24 pm

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Here's something to ponder. Mattel makes Disney figures am I right? Hurm..

120Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Best picture to come out of this whole shenanigans.

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Marvel10

121Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 am

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

said this on wumb

"Everyone making jokes or scared,shut the hell up.
Marvel is fine.Everyone is trying to make a awesome product and make dough selling it.
It is not like disney takes over and marvel walks away.
Marvel was not going bankrupt and needed help.This was a plan between the wto to help each other out
Marvel is making money right now,so no they will not change.They may add things but not change.
The only change i could see,is more popularity.
I can not believe people are so idiotic they do not understand how business works.
Take a deep breath and realize,all is well "

122Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 am

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I still want Punisher to shoot the mouse for this.

If its the last thing he does!

123Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:26 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Toothgrinder wrote:Is the sale a sure thing? There's no way it'll get shot down because of anti-trust?

I'm not sure how anti-trust would figure into it, since they're only buying one company. They won't hold a monopoly on the comics industry. Now, if they were already the owners of DC and Archie and Image, then there'd probably be a bit of a scuffle. But, as far as Wall Street and Hollywood are concerned, this is a done deal.

Again, this is not a bad thing. Disney is smart enough to not muck about too much with things that expand their consumer base. They've owned ABC for years, and they still have shows that are adult fare (LOST, Grey's Anatomy, Castle, etc.)

I believe there is a law that requires an anti-trust review for any merger/acquisition that exceeds a certain amount. It's just a formality. There's nothing there that will stop this from going through.

124Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Marvel_beautyandthebeast

125Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 5 636820540_E5wzE-L

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum