Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.

+10
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
MillionDollarGeek
Rath99
Chi-Town Spidey
Debaser77
jaydee74
BlueMaxx
Administrator
Esbat
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

SW #6

Yeah, Spider-Woman's my favorite female superhero too. It's just too bad this title went from great to lame in a matter of a few issues. This is how I perceive Spider-Woman, the title, as personafied by this particular issue: beautiful looking (in more ways than one), slightly dated (old T-Bolts team, one of these guys are even dead), and a quick read (took me 4-minutes).

Hell, if this were an art show, or a museum viewing session, penciler Alex Maleev would be the breadwinner. Problem is, there has to be more substance in terms of plotting and dialogue, even IF Bendis does improve Jessica Drew's much-maligned personality this time out. Her confidence soars and so does our interest. So despite how mundane, perhaps ancient, this is all feeling, I'm still interested in how this arc all plays out next month. Marvel, you've got me by the balls.

3/5 Bags&Boards - easily a 4.5 for art, but 2 for everything else.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

27Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well if issue #7 d(the end of the first arc) doesn't really grab me I think that will be it for this book for me. It's not terrible but the snail's pace storytelling style isn't doing it for me. In six issues I don't feel Bendis hasn't really done anything to progress this character.

28Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider-Woman #7

This was okay. I didn't love it, but it wasn't horrible. The arc did kind of fizzle out though. It started strong, lagged a little, got a little better, and then just kind of ended.

For the most part I liked the art in the issue. However, some of the action was hard to follow, and Luke Cage and Wolverine didn't look right. Luke just didn't look like Luke to me, and Wolverine just looked odd.

I'm both sad and happy this was the last issue. I'm sad because overall I did like the book, and I LOVE Spider-Woman. I'm happy because, while I did like the book there were some problems, and also, with the book ending it's one less book I have to buy so I save some money.

29Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Spider-Woman #7

I'm actually quite pleased with the way this "mini" finished. Bendis and Maleev did the right thing closing off this failed experiment, as the debut issue had many screaming, "new favorite book!" to "ugh, 2-second read, not going anywhere." Ironically, the finale is the most lenghty of Spider-Woman reads, the artwork is absolutely stunning--not in terms of storytelling, or pacing, or whatever, but just beautiful to view--and the Bendis amps up the dialogue, at least in the issue's first half, anyway.

Who would you cast as Jessica Drew? Jennifer Connelly? Kate Beckinsale? I'm all about movies these days.

Okay, so back to the book. A solo Spider-Woman title's original intent was balancing the acts between private detective, Avenger superhero, ex-Skrull Queen, ex-Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. rogue, and this newly-adorned Agent of S.W.O.R.D. It took 6 issues for Drew to finally show her Skrull-hunting prowess, only to be nudged into an extremely silly barfight. But you know what, if more issues were like this one, the title might still be ongoing. Dave Wallace at comicsbulletin.com claims in his review that sales of this title dropped astronomically after the first couple issues, so maybe this cancelation has more to do with that than the apologies for Maleev's overwhelming workload.

In all, the only thing that matters is that Marvel tried something different, both succeeding and failing all the same. And hell, when all is said and done, Spider-Woman's just that much more a popular figure for it.

3.5/5 Girly Web Shocks - After several mundane issues, the title never turned out to be Marvel's equivalent to DC's Batwoman (Detective Comics) like I thought it would. Still, I'm glad to have been a part of it, and glad to see it go. Bravo.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

30Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:34 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Spider-Woman #7

This was okay. I didn't love it, but it wasn't horrible. The arc did kind of fizzle out though. It started strong, lagged a little, got a little better, and then just kind of ended.

For the most part I liked the art in the issue. However, some of the action was hard to follow, and Luke Cage and Wolverine didn't look right. Luke just didn't look like Luke to me, and Wolverine just looked odd.

I'm both sad and happy this was the last issue. I'm sad because overall I did like the book, and I LOVE Spider-Woman. I'm happy because, while I did like the book there were some problems, and also, with the book ending it's one less book I have to buy so I save some money.

LOOSECANNON wrote:^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Spider-Woman #7

I'm actually quite pleased with the way this "mini" finished. Bendis and Maleev did the right thing closing off this failed experiment, as the debut issue had many screaming, "new favorite book!" to "ugh, 2-second read, not going anywhere." Ironically, the finale is the most lenghty of Spider-Woman reads, the artwork is absolutely stunning--not in terms of storytelling, or pacing, or whatever, but just beautiful to view--and the Bendis amps up the dialogue, at least in the issue's first half, anyway.

Who would you cast as Jessica Drew? Jennifer Connelly? Kate Beckinsale? I'm all about movies these days.

Okay, so back to the book. A solo Spider-Woman title's original intent was balancing the acts between private detective, Avenger superhero, ex-Skrull Queen, ex-Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. rogue, and this newly-adorned Agent of S.W.O.R.D. It took 6 issues for Drew to finally show her Skrull-hunting prowess, only to be nudged into an extremely silly barfight. But you know what, if more issues were like this one, the title might still be ongoing. Dave Wallace at comicsbulletin.com claims in his review that sales of this title dropped astronomically after the first couple issues, so maybe this cancelation has more to do with that than the apologies for Maleev's overwhelming workload.

In all, the only thing that matters is that Marvel tried something different, both succeeding and failing all the same. And hell, when all is said and done, Spider-Woman's just that much more a popular figure for it.

3.5/5 Girly Web Shocks - After several mundane issues, the title never turned out to be Marvel's equivalent to DC's Batwoman (Detective Comics) like I thought it would. Still, I'm glad to have been a part of it, and glad to see it go. Bravo.

Pretty much agree with you guys. The thing that gets me is that if this hadn't been done as a motion comic too I suspect it might not be finishing with issue #7. Apparently the creators bit off a bit more than they could chew with this. I actually also think it was the motion comic side of things that caused the incredible slow pace of story with this series. Just a theory but I can't help thinking it was connected. Quite frankly my summary of these 7 issues is BORING.

As I said above I was just about to drop this series so they beat me to it by cancelling it.

Now guys, what about the cover of this issue??? It's bloody beautiful - one of the covers of the year so far in my books.

Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D. - Page 2 Yhst-16722662390539_2098_237114911

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum