Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask About It. (Get info on comics from other P.o.P!ers.)

+10
prescribeddrone
Aussiemandias
rwe1138
blue halo
Joshua
Esbat
shining knight
Rath99
Ben Akers
BlueMaxx
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

From a one-shot to a GN, a story-arc to a trade, a mini to a maxi, an ish to an entire series--Ask about it here and see if anyone who has been through that series, or has heard good word, help you out.

Like many, I like new stories but am reluctant because of moolaah and time. So, I guess I'll start off the thread and ask if anyone knows some information on whether or not Batman: Gotham Knights, the 2000 to 2006 ongoing, was any good. I believe I have a decent deal on it, and I've been eyeing it for about half a year, wondering.

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

The early issues were okay. I've never been much of a Devin Grayson fan, so that likely has a lot to do with it, but at the time, it was easily the weakest Bat-book. The later issues which featured Bane and then Hush were actually really disappointing because of how a bunch of characters acted out of character, particularly Prometheus (of JLA fame).

Oh, and of course, they canceled the excellent Shadow of the Bat title to make way for this one. That did not make me very happy.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've thought about Shadow of the Bat too. Taps more into Batman's villains, ya?

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gotham Knights isn't something I would run out to get, but if you can get it in trade for cheap its ok to have.

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

particularly Prometheus (of JLA fame).

so bad was the oocness that they had retcon it as being a loser dressed as prometheus

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:
particularly Prometheus (of JLA fame).

so bad was the oocness that they had retcon it as being a loser dressed as prometheus

So glad they are doing that. Proetheus can be a really good character.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Okay...so I'm pretty much taking this as spend money on things you really care about. tongue Gotcha.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Okay, I got two more that I need someone to vouch for. How do any of you guys feel about Firebreather and/or Dynamo 5. I've been eyeing the both of them, and with me slowly leaving Marvel behind, with the exception of Ghost Rider, I'm gonna have some room. Are these back-issue worthy?

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Firebreather was/is amazing. There is the original mini-series and the Iron Saint one-shot. Then there isthe first 4 issues of the ongoing series which tell a complete story although we've been waiting on #5 for quite some time. But at least they managed to get the four issues out before they went on the long hiatus.

Dynamo 5 is also good, although I have to admit, I have multiple issues piled up in my to-read box. I love Jay Faerber's writing and while I loved Noble Causes more, I like Dynamo 5 more with each issue that comes out.

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

May I suggest if you want a good old fashioned adventure story try find the complete run of the adventures of nikolai dante!

Ask About It. (Get info on comics from other P.o.P!ers.) 1401203957.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_

Theres 8 books out at the moment with a ninth coming out in november

Oh and Luther arkwright as well you will not believe how much of an influence that has been on me

Ask About It. (Get info on comics from other P.o.P!ers.) Advlatpb

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been offered a stack of trades of both 52 and Countdown, while I loves me some Jason Todd which would be a better pick the entirety of 52 or the entirety of Countdown?

http://realityfugitives.com/

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

52 was much better than Countdown IMO.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Firebreather is a really good comic, though I can't recommend it if you're looking for something that comes out monthly. I don't think it, or Golly, are ever going to finish.

Choosing between 52 and Countdown is like choosing between a tasty lunch or a swift kick to the tenders. 52, while having some major flaws, is a good enough read. Countdown is a pile.

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Joshua wrote:Firebreather is a really good comic, though I can't recommend it if you're looking for something that comes out monthly. I don't think it, or Golly, are ever going to finish.

The thought of that happening is really, really sad. They were both excellent comics. Too bad that the shipping delays (for whatever reason) have caused both of them to be MIA.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Choosing between 52 and Countdown is like choosing between a tasty lunch or a swift kick to the tenders. 52, while having some major flaws, is a good enough read. Countdown is a pile.

This sums it up well

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I enjoyed Countdown to an extent, it's just that Final Crisis pretty much ignored it, making the story almost void.

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Joshua wrote:Firebreather is a really good comic, though I can't recommend it if you're looking for something that comes out monthly. I don't think it, or Golly, are ever going to finish.

Choosing between 52 and Countdown is like choosing between a tasty lunch or a swift kick to the tenders. 52, while having some major flaws, is a good enough read. Countdown is a pile.
Good to know... What with the many starts and stops (to read other things) I'm FINALLY near finishing 52. So, the general consensus is to skip Countdown altogether?

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought there was some neatness to be had, but, IMHO, you're not missing much. And if this helps...Countdown ending, specifically Final Crisis, was the reason I dodged Trinity. (Is Trinity still going?)

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BlueMaxx wrote:I thought there was some neatness to be had, but, IMHO, you're not missing much. And if this helps...Countdown ending, specifically Final Crisis, was the reason I dodged Trinity. (Is Trinity still going?)
Trinity finished in May. And no, you didn't really miss much. I was greatly disappointed.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

blue halo wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:I thought there was some neatness to be had, but, IMHO, you're not missing much. And if this helps...Countdown ending, specifically Final Crisis, was the reason I dodged Trinity. (Is Trinity still going?)
Trinity finished in May. And no, you didn't really miss much. I was greatly disappointed.

Trinity was allll over the place!No real focus

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Rath99 wrote:
blue halo wrote:

Trinity was allll over the place!No real focus
Trinity was great for the first 10 issues or so... but it went south quick. The thing I've found with the weeklies is that they're too packed with needless story that doesn't really drive the plot forward.

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

yeah for a story about supes, bats and wonder woman they wearn't in it much.

What flaws were in 52? I didn't spot any

rwe1138

rwe1138

Firebreather is fantastic, but Phil said that Andy just couldn't handle it as a monthly, so future books will be a series of minis. But there is more coming, as well as the animated flick.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:
What flaws were in 52? I didn't spot any
The most glaring was the fact that while 52 was initially conceived and advertised as explaining what took place in the year the continuity skipped over for OYL, it didn't actually explain anything in a year's time. All of the changes that occurred in OYL took place in the last two weeks of 52, rather than taking the course of a year to develop. Other problems it had were the fact that it introduced things without ever explaining them, like giant Hawkgirl. These things didn't keep me from enjoying the book. There were several plot threads that I took great pleasure in and it's the only weekly comic I've stuck with for the year's haul. Still, there's no denying that what 52 became is vastly different from what it started out to be.

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh yeah thats certainly true

my fave strand of 52 (which no one will be shocked by) was the ralph Dibny story

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum