Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

+20
Tom
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Fresh03
Mnemosis
kidspider2099
Sandman
jaydee74
Debaser77
andy546
Bigtymin504
Aussiemandias
Thundermatts
shiky800
Ska
LOOSECANNON
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
lurchadamo
Batman25JM
prescribeddrone
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 11]

126Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 01, 2010 11:43 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

U.C. Avengers 2 #1

You've simply got to be a fan of both Millar's action-enthused writing and Punisher as a merciless vigilante in order to like this book. It's that simple. And with some great detailed art from Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine artist Leinel Francis Yu portraying the Punisher doing what he does best, it's sure to be enough to keep Ultimate Avengers fans happy. But who knows what cynics will expect these days. While a quickly-read comic like this should never be $4, at least the first issue of this second volume was entertaining. The twist midway through the issue was especially rewarding, and the final page should have those as confused as I begging for more.

While not quite as profound as Millar's previous Ultimates fixture, Fury's new secret ops-focused group is headed in the right direction.

3.5/5 Black Hulk Blade Cages - Picks up the disappointment that was U.C. Avengers #6.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

127Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #1

The story was okay. I'm just not that big of a fan of the Punisher. Aside from the Thomas Jane movie I just don't really care for him (though, I did kinda like his involvement in Civil War). The main reason for my enjoyment of this book was Leinil Yu. I just LOVE his art. He is in my top five favorite artists working today. There aren't words to express how much I love his art.

I actually liked the Punisher's new suit.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the arc.

128Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I don't like the idea of Punisher being on the new black-ops Avengers. Good thing it's just Ultimate Punisher, though. And now Nerd Hulk has gone gangsta? What the hell's going on there? LOVED Yu's art on this book, though.

129Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue May 04, 2010 5:32 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #1

Most of this issue was just Frank Castle being Frank Castle, but luckily Leinil Yu drew it so it looked awesome. Fury continued his shady exploits by recruiting Pun into his Avengers squad. And I'm not really sure what to make of the last page. Overall it was a fairly thin first issue with not a lot happening, but the prospect of Punisher joining this team is pretty intriguing.
It was a bit thin but I kind of enjoyed it. I have to admit the opening of "The Punisher gets busy" followed by page after page of Punisher slaughtering bad guys still cracks me up when I think about it.

Leinil Yu's art was fantastic. Really can't add a lot more on this issue. It was pretty basic but did the job of introducing the Punisher (I, for one, as not a long term Ultimate U reader hadn't met this version of the Punisher before) and getting him onto the team.

Debaser77 wrote:I don't like the idea of Punisher being on the new black-ops Avengers. Good thing it's just Ultimate Punisher, though. And now Nerd Hulk has gone gangsta?
See I think Punisher works on the team because he's being forced. That's the only way he'd be there. And that's not Nerd Hulk.

130Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Aussiemandias wrote: And that's not Nerd Hulk.

How many friggin' Hulks are there in the Ultimate Universe? Geez!

131Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:

3 i think... Hulk Hulk. Nerd hulk (which I am still not sure about, I think it is the regular hulk just with Banners intellect.) and now the "Original" Hulk which apparently is Luke Cage...I hope he gets to wear a tiara...

132Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

The Ultimate MU is making the same mistakes as the 616...too many Hulks.

133Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sandman wrote:
Debaser77 wrote:

3 i think... Hulk Hulk. Nerd hulk (which I am still not sure about, I think it is the regular hulk just with Banners intellect.) and now the "Original" Hulk which apparently is Luke Cage...I hope he gets to wear a tiara...
Nerd Hulk is a clone with Banner's intellect. I hate clones.

Debaser77 wrote:The Ultimate MU is making the same mistakes as the 616...too many Hulks.
I tend to agree. However I think it's going to turn out that this character isn't a "Hulk" as such. I'm hoping that he's got Hulk-like strength and referring to him as the first Hulk just means he came out of similar experimentation as the Banner Hulk. It's kind of like them saying the Punisher is their Captain America on the black ops team. At least that's my hope.

134Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Thu May 06, 2010 2:56 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #2

^That title slays me lol. I just don't know what Loeb is doing with the Ultimates anymore. The first issue was good and all the pieces are there for a great arc, but I just don't think he's capitalizing on it. He has a few wonky dialogue moments like he always does on Ultimates, and the characters just seem hollow. The premise of the story is good with Loki and Enchantress manipulating the women on the team, but I just didn't like the execution this issue. Plus I was annoyed Thor was absent. Luckily there's plenty of time to salvage this potentially good arc. Also, Frank Cho's art is effin awesome as usual. His action is dynamic and his women are gorgeous.

135Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #2

I liked this quite a bit actually. I don't know if I liked it as much as the first issue, but I still thought it was pretty good. Loeb is definitely better right now.

The art was great.

Spoiler:

136Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Spoiler:

While I'm a little tired of the whole "teammates turning against the Ultimates" angle, I'm still digging the series. Loeb is playing to his strengths here, and Cho is doing some fantastic work here. Can't wait for the next issue.

137Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 10, 2010 12:26 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:
Spoiler:

While I'm a little tired of the whole "teammates turning against the Ultimates" angle, I'm still digging the series. Loeb is playing to his strengths here, and Cho is doing some fantastic work here. Can't wait for the next issue.

I didn't care for this issue. Everything seemed off and out of place. This issue seemed like nothing more than cheap thrills. The art didn't do it for me. There wasn't anything that has kept my interest. I agree about Hawkeye, then again, it would not surprise me if they left what they did stand. At this point, I don't think I care anymore. I'm glad I DLed this as opposed to buying this. I won't bother even doing that with this title anymore.

138Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Ultimates #2 was another good issue in my view - good to see Loeb on the right track. Cho's art was just plain fantastic. I realise all his women are pretty voluptuous but he certainly does also make them look capable of doing the stuff they do.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #2

^That title slays me lol. I just don't know what Loeb is doing with the Ultimates anymore. The first issue was good and all the pieces are there for a great arc, but I just don't think he's capitalizing on it. He has a few wonky dialogue moments like he always does on Ultimates, and the characters just seem hollow. The premise of the story is good with Loki and Enchantress manipulating the women on the team, but I just didn't like the execution this issue. Plus I was annoyed Thor was absent. Luckily there's plenty of time to salvage this potentially good arc. Also, Frank Cho's art is effin awesome as usual. His action is dynamic and his women are gorgeous.

Gotta completely disagree regarding Loeb's work on this issue. I've certainly been massively annoyed with his Ultimates work over the last couple of years but I don't think this was anything like that. I thought it was very good just like the previous issue. No dramas with the dialogue at all and I'd be keen to hear some specific examples of where it was wonky (because in the past that's been easy to point out). I'm also not sure what your problem was with the execution - he used the same model as last time. Instead of Tony's voice over it was Steve Rogers this time (I suspect it will be someone else with the next issue), it showed the manipulation of the women (which I suspect involved more than just words - it's pretty obvious they've been enchanted somehow - it's a whole lot more than just manipulation) and then the guys joined the battle in Central Park at which point the enchanted women come into play setting up a cliffhanger ending. Not sure what's bad about that.

Also can't see Wade's point about this issue being nothing more than cheap thrills. Like I said that's certainly an issue with Loeb's recent Ultimates stuff but I think he's toned it down this year.

139Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:New Ultimates #2 was another good issue in my view - good to see Loeb on the right track. Cho's art was just plain fantastic. I realise all his women are pretty voluptuous but he certainly does also make them look capable of doing the stuff they do.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #2

Gotta completely disagree regarding Loeb's work on this issue. I've certainly been massively annoyed with his Ultimates work over the last couple of years but I don't think this was anything like that. I thought it was very good just like the previous issue. No dramas with the dialogue at all and I'd be keen to hear some specific examples of where it was wonky (because in the past that's been easy to point out). I'm also not sure what your problem was with the execution - he used the same model as last time. Instead of Tony's voice over it was Steve Rogers this time (I suspect it will be someone else with the next issue), it showed the manipulation of the women (which I suspect involved more than just words - it's pretty obvious they've been enchanted somehow - it's a whole lot more than just manipulation) and then the guys joined the battle in Central Park at which point the enchanted women come into play setting up a cliffhanger ending. Not sure what's bad about that.

I definitely don't mean to compare this to Loeb's Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, cuz it is FAR better than those. And like I said, I really like the story potential here with the scheme by Loki and Enchantress. Just don't feel like it's as good as it could be, and still not up to the standard of Ultimates 1 & 2 in my mind. The few "wonky" bits I guess were some of the stuff Hawkeye kept saying about Danvers, a couple lines between Cap and Valkyrie, and Zarda just being a hollow character so far. It was an okay issue, but IMO fell short of the good set up of issue 1. But like I said, the arc is very young and I see plenty of potential here. I'll certainly be staying tuned.

140Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #10

Really, really liked this. I loved how Kong came to Kitty's defense.

I was a little surprised by Kitty's reaction. I can't say that it isn't warranted, but still seemed unlike her (though she has been through a lot).

I just LOVE the art now. I can't believe I'm saying that, since a year ago I was bitching about Lafuente when it was revealed he would be doing the art. I've completely converted, and now I hope he never leaves.

141Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^^^^what he said^^^^

Ult. Com Spidey #10

Another fantasic issue of Ultimate Spider-Man. Lafuente's art has improved several notches; the night-time fight scene between Kitty and her friends was just fantastic to watch. Seeing Johnny's hailstorm of fire was pretty and both the texture and frozen ice striks from Bobby look phenomenal. And how aboeut Spidey's shadowed appearance in the sewer close up to the Fire 'N Ice of his friends? Awesome.

Bendis is taking his "talky" elements to a newer level with more effective emotion. Aunt May's reaction to the principal's triumphant tirade, and Kitty wallowing in self-agonization were highlights. To my surprise, it appears I'm now looking forward to this Marvel title more than any other.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Marvel's most consistently entertaining series.

142Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 15, 2010 9:44 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Great issue! Even though I'm still hating the art, Bendis keeps me coming back for the stories. I did a little inner cheer when Kenny attacked the guys who came for Kitty and the scene between them in the sewer was nicely done.
I was surprised at her "Magneto was right!" line, though. It looks like Kitty's going down a dark path, I wonder how the other surviving X-members will react when they hear about it.

143Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

# 10 was another fantastic issue. I'm loving this book, and I'm starting to come around on the art.

144Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Agreed with everyone on USM #10. Awesome as usual. I've really liked the art since day one and it seems to be improving with each issue...loving Pete's haircut. Laughing

145Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #2

Okay the whole "Hulk 1.0" concept actually turned out to be pretty cool. I enjoyed his throwdown with War Machine. LFY drew the hell out of this book.

146Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #2

Okay the whole "Hulk 1.0" concept actually turned out to be pretty cool. I enjoyed his throwdown with War Machine. LFY drew the hell out of this book.

Agreed! I really liked this Hulk mentor concept, which pleasantly surprised me cuz it seemed like it would be dumb. And him jumping up to grab that plane and smash it on War Machine was just sick! Laughing This is Millar in top form, introducing new interesting concepts and characters while dialing things up to 11. Also, Yu is the man.

147Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat May 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

^ He was basically "Ultimate Mr. Fixit," which I thought was very cool.

148Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #2

This was okay. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't hate it.

Yu's art was fantastic though.

149Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun May 23, 2010 9:02 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Ult. Comics Avengers II #2

Much like many of you, I though it was cool too. Nothing great, but Millar's definitely delivering more of the goods on this second volume.

3.5/5

150Ultimate Marvel - Page 6 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon May 24, 2010 12:48 am

Zeroskull21

Zeroskull21
Cadet
Cadet

Ghost Rider looked like the bad-ass em-effer that he is. Really hoping that Millar cranks out more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum