Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

+20
Tom
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Fresh03
Mnemosis
kidspider2099
Sandman
jaydee74
Debaser77
andy546
Bigtymin504
Aussiemandias
Thundermatts
shiky800
Ska
LOOSECANNON
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
lurchadamo
Batman25JM
prescribeddrone
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

176Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:26 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I totally get what you are saying about wanting more depth from the Ultimate Avengers books. I actually completely agree. As they are now, they are just shallow action comics. I think that's a big reason that I hadn't been enjoying anything but the art on Ultimate Avengers 2 up until this issue. I mean, there was nothing really to the books. It was just about shit blowing up and people getting pounded. That didn't change with issue #5, but for some reason I liked the issue. Having 2 Ghost Riders was just kinda cool.

177Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate New Ultimates #3

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The art was fantastic.

I really liked that they are showing Carol Danvers to be quite competent.

It's great to have Hawkeye back in his more traditional Ultimates outfit.

Thor's return was great.
Yeah completely agree. Like we've been saying with Ultimate X, I think Loeb has really turned things around with these two books.

I'm really enjoying this story and I agree about Carol Danvers. I think it's evident that Loki wanted this whole attack to fail in order to get Thor back and I also think he knew how it would come about. Thor is going to be so pissed when he finds out who had to die to get him there (if he doesn't know already). As Thor says "There will be blood."

And fantastic really is the right word for the art. Happy to wait 2 months when this is what we get.

One minor quibble is that I think Tony Stark appears to have recovered from his injuries from last issue a bit too quickly. At the very least he had his hand (or hands, I can't quite remember) completely crushed.

Right there with you guys. This issue really brought some things full circle with where the story is going. And definitely agree on the Carol Danvers thing, great to see her redeem herself a bit because she's sorta been played for a fool the first 2 issues. Loeb has really brought back his A-game in his 2 Ultimate books, especially Ultimate X. Also, Cho's art has been phenomenally gorgeous throughout...his depiction of pregnant Hela was somehow both creepy and sexy at the same time. Laughing

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Avengers 2 #5

I actually enjoyed this issue immensely. This was my favorite Ultimate Avengers 2 issue to date.

I do really like Punisher on the team. I'm not traditionally a Punisher fan, but I like him here.

The art, as usual was stunning. Yu kicks ass, plain and simple.

The art was brilliant, yes, but I don't know if I'm completely digging the story. I can see that Millar is attempting all out action stories with these Avengers arcs but would it be too much to hope for that one of them has a little more depth? Probably. I guess my point is I'm just getting no sense of who any of these characters are.

Not that I'm hating the arcs but I would kind of like something a little more. Oh well for now I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm completely sick of multiple Hulks so I'm glad that Tyrone Cash is a traditional style Hulk and is more his own character.

Yeah this arc is good and fun but nothing to really write home about. I do like the new characters Millar has introduced though, but like you said some of them could use some more in depth exploration, which I'm sure we'll get at some point. And as usual, Yu is the man.

178Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Also, Cho's art has been phenomenally gorgeous throughout...his depiction of pregnant Hela was somehow both creepy and sexy at the same time. Laughing

Did you notice in the couple of Defenders panels each time we see that guy with the spikey hair (I think it's Hellstrom) he's just totally checking out Valkyrie? That cracked me up. Can't blame him though.

179Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:53 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Also, Cho's art has been phenomenally gorgeous throughout...his depiction of pregnant Hela was somehow both creepy and sexy at the same time. Laughing

Did you notice in the couple of Defenders panels each time we see that guy with the spikey hair (I think it's Hellstrom) he's just totally checking out Valkyrie? That cracked me up. Can't blame him though.

1. I agree, pregnant Hela was both creepy and sexy. It made me feel weird. Laughing

2. I loved that guy checking out Valkyrie. It was hilarious.

180Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Ha! I have to go back and check that out. My one issue with Cho is that his women often look exactly the same, like Valkyrie and Carol look like they were separated at birth.

181Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah, his women do all look the same (or VERY similar), and at times it can get a little confusing. However, they are hot enough for me not to really care.

182Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^Yeah, his women do all look the same (or VERY similar), and at times it can get a little confusing. However, they are hot enough for me not to really care.

QFT

183Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:17 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Ha! I have to go back and check that out. My one issue with Cho is that his women often look exactly the same, like Valkyrie and Carol look like they were separated at birth.

Batman25JM wrote:^Yeah, his women do all look the same (or VERY similar), and at times it can get a little confusing. However, they are hot enough for me not to really care.

Have a look at it, Bigtymin. In one panel he's checking her out from behind and then in the next he's looking straight at her boobs. Funny stuff.

As for Cho, you guys are right, if the women didn't have different hair colour it would be very difficult to tell them apart. Actually in this issue it was a bit of a problem because Enchantress also looks like Valkyrie which briefly had me confused about who was who.

But, yeah, they all look great so who's complaining. I'd like to live in Cho's world. Actually, to be fair, if it wasn't for different hairstyles his male characters tend to look alike also.

184Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Mystery #1

I liked this quite a bit.

The stuff between Spider-Man and Spider-Woman was gold. I, like Peter, have been wondering if Spider-Woman is gay. I hope we find out soon.

I liked Captain Marvel a lot. This is really my first exposure to him in the Ultimate Universe. I love his design.

I like how this tied into the two part story from Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

I'm very interested to see where this goes, and to learn exactly what is going on.

185Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Mystery #1

I liked this quite a bit.

The stuff between Spider-Man and Spider-Woman was gold. I, like Peter, have been wondering if Spider-Woman is gay. I hope we find out soon.

I liked Captain Marvel a lot. This is really my first exposure to him in the Ultimate Universe. I love his design.

I like how this tied into the two part story from Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

I'm very interested to see where this goes, and to learn exactly what is going on.

Agree on all counts. I thought it was very good. In fact, better than the first 4 issues. There's just some really intriguing stuff going on.

And Sandoval's art was excellent!

186Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #6

I thought this issue was great. Leinel Yu's art looked absolutely fantastic this issue particular in the latter 6 or 7 pages which might have been one of the other inkers. Not saying the earlier part didn't look good too but I really liked the look of the work towards the end.

I really enjoyed the conclusion to this story. While, aside from the art, I wasn't totally into this story line, I think Millar brought it to a very good close. The interaction between Blaze and Mephisto was well done.

And I loved the idea of Frank Castle not realising the "keep up the good work" message may have come from a source much more sinister than his dead family!!! I thought that was a really clever piece of writing from Millar.

All in all I think I liked this arc better than the first one.

187Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #13

While I did enjoy this issue a lot (JJJ figuring out Peter is Spidey was great, and I LOVED the art) I don't like that is looks like the public will be against Spidey again. I hope that they either see Spidey and Chameleon battling and realize that it wasn't really Spidey committing the crime spree. Either that or JJJ tells the public that it wasn't really Spidey (assuming that he's alive, and he damn well better be).

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #6

I enjoyed this. The art as always was spectacular. I don't know if overall I liked this or the first UCA better. I think I'd say that I liked the story in the first one better, but the art for the second one better.

Ultimate Comics Avengers 3 #1

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. I didn't hate it, but nothing about it really popped for me. I don't really like the fact that there's a new Daredevil. And the art was very meh. It's hard to go from Yu's astonishing work on UCA 2 to this. This art was very dull.

188Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:

Ultimate Comics Avengers 3 #1

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. I didn't hate it, but nothing about it really popped for me. I don't really like the fact that there's a new Daredevil. And the art was very meh. It's hard to go from Yu's astonishing work on UCA 2 to this. This art was very dull.

I know how I feel. It was awful!!! Extremely ordinary. I'm pretty sure that last scene was written by a 12 year old kid. I can't see myself continuing with Ultimate Avengers. Think I'll stick with Ultimate X and the Ultimates but I think Millar is basically on auto pilot for these scripts.

189Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Mystery #2

I enjoyed this. Not much else to say about it really. It was solid.

190Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:12 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Mystery #2

I enjoyed this. Not much else to say about it really. It was solid.

Yep, I enjoyed it too and I'm loving Sandoval's work on these books. One little error I picked up at the start - during "Julia Carpenter's" interview at Roxxon, the guy interviewing her at one point calls her "Jessica" (her real name, which he doesn't know). I seriously wonder what editors do on these comics.

191Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:38 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Avengers 3 #2

Still not really impressed. I'm definitely dropping this book.

192Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Avengers 3 #2

Not good, just not good.

The art is atrocious. Seriously, I couldn't hate it more.

I want to drop this, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

193Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I'd like to drop it, as well...but it's almost done. It's nice reading material for the treadmill at the gym (i.e. quick and simple)

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

194Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #14

Man, this was great. Bendis just gets how to write Spidey.

It seems Gwen is made at Peter for something the Chameleon did. I can't wait to see that play out.
Spoiler:

I'm glad JJJ is alright. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that he knows Peter is Spider-Man.

I'm also wondering about how the public perceives Spidey now. I wonder if he'll be able to tell them it was an impostor and if they'll believe him.

Ultimate Comics Mystery #3

I enjoyed this.

Roxxon's brain trust was a cool group.

The reveal at the end was surprising.

195Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Comics Mystery #3

I enjoyed this.

Roxxon's brain trust was a cool group.

The reveal at the end was surprising.

I actually totally loved this issue. I thought it was possibly one of the best action comics of the year as far as the battle in it went. Everything worked for me in this issue from Bendis's story (he can often be slow in his storytelling but this issue was a great example of where he can write really exciting action) to Rafa Sandoval's wonderful art - I think he's been nothing short of excellent on this series.

And then there was the reveal at the end. I have to admit I thought Reed may not be dead but I didn't see this coming at all. It's been a good week for creators actually surprising me with their stories which is kind of refreshing (I think these things are often telegraphed in comics).

196Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Thor #1

I'll be honest, I didn't really care much for this. It wasn't bad per se, it was just kinda boring. Also, I have NO idea when this is supposed to take place. I'm talking about the present day stuff (labeled Today in the book). In the present it still shows people thinking Thor is crazy, but he as proved sane in Ultimates 2. Also, there's the fact that he's been dead for a while and just returned in Ultimate New Ultimates. It's confusing.

197Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jonathan Hickman is without a doubt my favourite mainstream comics writer now and for just more evidence of why.....

Ultimate Comics Thor #1

This was nothing short of excellent in my opinion. You can have your JMS, Gillen and even Fraction Thors but I'm very happy with the Hickman and Pacheco version (although it is only 1 issue so far!).

As usual with Hickman, a beautifully constructed story with a number of elements coming together and playing perfectly to Hickman's penchant for design and symbolism. I love the stuff regarding the Norse runes and the stone circle and bringing the nazis into it also. It is just all looking like a great story.

Personally, I don't care when it's set but I wonder if it's possible that this is after the current New Ultimates storyline (which of course is now running late - it annoys me that they can't even keep to a bi-monthly schedule).

One of the most interesting questions for me is who is Donald Blake? We don't get to see him properly in any of the scenes so I'm intrigued and his pen had some Norse runes on it. I wonder if it's possibly Helmutt Zemo or perhaps someone else from Asgard. From what we are shown he is very tall so it could be the latter.

I loved this.

198Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Agreed Aussie. I wouldn't have even picked this up if it weren't for Hickman writing it...definitely glad I did.

199Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #4

This wasn't bad, but I wasn't jumping for joy. Honestly, I really don't like Loeb screwing with what was established in Ultimates 1 and 2 (though I should be used to it after Ultimate 3). See, Ultimates 1 and 2 are two of my favorite comic books ever. I love them so much, and I don't want them messed with. I'm not naive, I get that with comics previous stories are retconned, added to, or messed with, but in this instance it really bugs me. I guess I can just read Ultimates 1 and 2 and pretend that the stuff after didn't happen.

I'm at least happy that Thor's odd behavior was explained. When he attacked Steve and Tony I was wondering what was going on.

200Ultimate Marvel - Page 8 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #4

This wasn't bad, but I wasn't jumping for joy. Honestly, I really don't like Loeb screwing with what was established in Ultimates 1 and 2 (though I should be used to it after Ultimate 3). See, Ultimates 1 and 2 are two of my favorite comic books ever. I love them so much, and I don't want them messed with. I'm not naive, I get that with comics previous stories are retconned, added to, or messed with, but in this instance it really bugs me. I guess I can just read Ultimates 1 and 2 and pretend that the stuff after didn't happen.

I'm at least happy that Thor's odd behavior was explained. When he attacked Steve and Tony I was wondering what was going on.

I didn't mind it. I'm not sure what you're referring to as Loeb having messed with stuff but I haven't yet read the second volume of Ultimates 2 yet so I suspect it's in that.

I've enjoyed Loeb's work with the narration of each of these issues being a different character - I think it's really added to each issue (I'm not always a fan of this kind of narration). Cho looked like he was really enjoying all the blood and guts in this issue - I lost count of the amount of disembowelled creatures I spotted. And I liked what happened to Valkyrie, becoming a real valkyrie.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum