Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

X-Men

+13
colossus1979
shark6495
vikoros
Rath99
Mnemosis
Sandman
Fresh03
Bigtymin504
Batman25JM
LOOSECANNON
hrdwrkngXsoldier
lurchadamo
prescribeddrone
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yeah, Cornell's bubbles were out of control, I'm not really sure what he was trying to do, quote song lyrics perhaps? I'm with you HXS, you don't have to try to be the king of pop culture and ultra cool, heck, even Fraction's gotten away from using his super annoying bubbles the last several issues of Uncanny, do a good job on characterization and plotting and people, for the most part, with buy inot what you're up to.

As a big Nate Grey fan though, I'm loving this story, the guy is Dark Phoenix level strong, so he should be able to take take a fight to just about anyone and his solutions for each of the Dark Avengers for the most part were quite clever and that ending made me chuckle, can't wait to see where this one's going.

27X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark X-Men #3

I'm pretty surprised at the direction this mini has gone, and how good its been. I loved X-Man back in the day, but I thought he would never work in this day and age. Yet, Cornell is doing a fantastic job of managing Nate's nigh-omnipotent powers in a believable way. I really like how Cornell's emphasizing the "shaman" aspect of the character. It was cool to see him finding the "just and unjust" among the HAMMER agents. Plus, his conversation with the Sentry was cool, would love to see their "forgotten" team ups. The characterizations of Mystique and especially the insane Dark Beast have been solid too.

I'm curious how and where this ends. And what role, if any, Nate Grey will have in the X-verse during and after Second Coming.

Nation X #2

This is a nice series of short stories, this time with some of my old school favorites Jubilee and Gambit Very Happy. I hope Jubilee makes a full return one day. And I really like that Remy is starting to truly fight his thieving ways and become a true X-Man. I also liked the Northstar and Quentin Quire/Martha Johansson stories.

28X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:19 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark X-Men

It's a shame it's so early in the year, as awards season has passed and it won't be another 10 months or so before we shed out more. Cornell & Kirk's Dark X-Men seems to be the front-runner for Best Mini thus far, and if the final issues tops its predecessors--as the series already seems to be doing--it should take the cake.

I highly recommend Ages of Apocalypse in terms of a better understanding of some of these characters, particularly X-Man aka Nate Grey and Dark Beast. These mutants came from that alternative universe and knowing their backgrounds might be a treat. Even if not, there's more than enough to like about the mini. Since I have to head to work in a few minutes I will say this: the many facial expressions from Kirk and the interaction between Grey & Norman in Norm's brain are priceless. The supporting characters and streamlines are just as entertaining. As a bonus, we get a hell of a reveal, no matter how obvious, on the last page.

Buy!

4/5 Bags&Boards - Marvel Book of the Week (and I haven't even read any other than ASM)

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

29X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:37 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark X-men #4

This was a good read, this book has been stellar from the onset and I think will have good payoff if only we can get Nate to stay around and loose the time traveling Son of Summers light.

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back 1 of 4

I picked this up on a whim because I like the Young X-men books and like Pixie. It looks like Pixie may not be a mutant, especially after we are introduced to her mother Mrs. Gwen. The story is an acid trip and takes the full book to understand what is going on. The art is so, so. The part with Santos and the Tampons was entirely unnecessary, as were watching X-girls on the toilet.

30X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark X-Men #4

This mini is just damn good. The inner conflict between Nate Grey and Norman inside Norman's brain has been really interesting. I love how it was shown that Norman is really strong at combating "demons" inside his own head. But Nate's plan was awesome, and something I didn't expect...the Green Goblin! This is what might have triggered the Goblin's recent increasing influence on Norman that we've seen in the events leading up to Siege.

The writer Paul Cornell has made this story complete on its own, yet also has made it very consequential to the overall Norman Osborn saga. Great stuff.

31X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nation X #3

The stories in this book actually have very little promise save one. The first story involves a battle between Armor and Danger. Don't worry they work things out, but the Farming story was meh, and the Manga style story at the end was just pointless filler. Maybe #4 will be better but I don't count on it. As long as we get 1 or 2 good ones each issue I can see picking it up worth it just for the character development side of things, but the Manga style one again LAME!

32X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The X-Men's Heroic Age?

X-Men - Page 2 WeAreX-Men

Simple, yet effective.

From IGN:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/107/1073061p1.html

"Heroic Age is happening for everybody," said Fraction. "It's what life is like after Osborn's reign. There's no doubt that things change. Issue #526 deals with that. You're asking me how the story ends and what happens next, so I can't get too much into that. But Heroic Age means something for the X-Men. Very much so. Second Coming and Heroic Age add up to... a new way of life, almost, for the X-Men."

33X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Dark X-Men 5 of 5.

Pretty fun read actually, minus the ever more cryptic Fraction style intro bubbles.

Apparently Norman Osborn is the frickin' man.

Ended kind of abruptly, but it opens a ton of doors for the future with these characters.

34X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nation X #4 of 4

This was by far the best book in the series. I actually feel like I have to review each story individually to do justice for this great mini full of mass character development.

Story One.

Art by one of my favorites, Mike Aldred, and the inclusion of Doop made this private eye expose with a twist of psychological proportions. The art was everything you expect from Aldred, clean, nostalgic, and simple. Cyclops bringing Doop on board as the Criminal investigations branch of Utopia seemed like pure genius, then it got weird. Doop level weird. Just saying this much should get people's attention. Doop speaks ENGLISH! multiple times this issue, but the twist will leave you wondering what it all really means. Complete psychological thriller on paper.

Story Two

Life on Utopia can be pretty boring. That is a dangerous thing for people with powerful minds on Utopia. We get to see what happens when bored little psychichs watch too many scary movies and have too much time on there hands. We also observe that the Cuckoos Mom has similar problems with her mind wondering and her boredom. Emma tries to find a way to keep them pre-occupied so that they don't cause any trouble.... Idle minds are evidently just as dangerous as idle hands.

Story Three

this was a good look into the behaviors of teenagers in general as applied to ones with super powers and a super appetite. We find out that because of the shortages on Utopia, that in the interest of managing resources the X-men have 24 hour gaurd on the refrigerator. The guard this evening is James Proudstar, the teens with the midnight munchies are tired of being treated like babies and go on a kitchen raid to get some ice-cream. The battle is hillarious as is the ending. Great Story

Story Four

This was a story that told us alot about King Namor and Queen Storm. It was nice to see how they interacted with each other and what they thought of the situation. Storm giving advice to someone as "humble" as Namor is one thing, but watching him take the advice and do something productive with it is something unexpected for Namor.

--------------------

I may have got the stories out of order, but they were great.
This series was average at best, but the last book of the arc seemed to have don a great deal for many key characters. This is the second book this week I have to give a perfect score to.

5 out of 5 hookers for Doop

35X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Nation X #4 of 4

This was by far the best book in the series. I actually feel like I have to review each story individually to do justice for this great mini full of mass character development.

Story One.

Art by one of my favorites, Mike Aldred, and the inclusion of Doop made this private eye expose with a twist of psychological proportions. The art was everything you expect from Aldred, clean, nostalgic, and simple. Cyclops bringing Doop on board as the Criminal investigations branch of Utopia seemed like pure genius, then it got weird. Doop level weird. Just saying this much should get people's attention. Doop speaks ENGLISH! multiple times this issue, but the twist will leave you wondering what it all really means. Complete psychological thriller on paper.

Story Two

Life on Utopia can be pretty boring. That is a dangerous thing for people with powerful minds on Utopia. We get to see what happens when bored little psychichs watch too many scary movies and have too much time on there hands. We also observe that the Cuckoos Mom has similar problems with her mind wondering and her boredom. Emma tries to find a way to keep them pre-occupied so that they don't cause any trouble.... Idle minds are evidently just as dangerous as idle hands.

Story Three

this was a good look into the behaviors of teenagers in general as applied to ones with super powers and a super appetite. We find out that because of the shortages on Utopia, that in the interest of managing resources the X-men have 24 hour gaurd on the refrigerator. The guard this evening is James Proudstar, the teens with the midnight munchies are tired of being treated like babies and go on a kitchen raid to get some ice-cream. The battle is hillarious as is the ending. Great Story

Story Four

This was a story that told us alot about King Namor and Queen Storm. It was nice to see how they interacted with each other and what they thought of the situation. Storm giving advice to someone as "humble" as Namor is one thing, but watching him take the advice and do something productive with it is something unexpected for Namor.

--------------------

I may have got the stories out of order, but they were great.
This series was average at best, but the last book of the arc seemed to have don a great deal for many key characters. This is the second book this week I have to give a perfect score to.

5 out of 5 hookers for Doop
Great review. I really enjoyed this issue too.

36X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Cloak and Dagger 1-Shot

If you have been tracking the mutant population as I have this is a very important issue. This is a good story about the relation ship between the duo, and the way that the deal with being apart from each other, especially when that distance is emotional as well as physical.

This is a well written story that involves a great deal of character development for the two of them and also answers some previous Marvel mysteries all at once. Cloak has been porting back and forth from Utopia to his old neighborhood and has reconnected with the only girl that was nice to him growing up. Dagger isn’t dealing with his absence very well and tries to find someone on the island to talk too, but feels out-casted by all the members of Nation X.

The plot shifts as we find out Tyrone’s old friend is actually someone with powers, put is involved with something else all-together. An organization that believes using powers is an addiction, a crutch; and can be untaught with “therapy.”

The art was good, the story was necessary to clear up a lot and give Cloak and Dagger some new goals in the Marvel Universe. Looks like we are going to get a new character and organization involved in the MU as well.

4 out of 5 Marvel Secrets Revealed.

Spoiler:

37X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back! #3 of 4

This story has twisted so much very quickly. I have to assume that this takes place right before second coming, but I guess we will know more with the finally coming up next issue. The writing has been decent, but there are some dialogue issues I have when Immonen has some characterization problems. An example of this is what I like to call the Scooby Doo moment of the book where Betsy Bradock sputters. “This way gang.” That is probably me being picky, but it just didn’t feel right. The art in this book is another issue all together. It has kind of an ashcan feel to it and actually reminds me a lot of some of the BPRD and Hellboy books by Dark Hoarse. It isn’t my favorite style, but it works well enough for this book. I just expect a lot more from Marvel and the X-books as of late.

We continue our story with Pixie and finding out more about her. The deamons/other-worlders want her for something and we really haven’t seen what that is yet other than luring her mother there. Then we find out that the power that had come over the girls was actually Pixie’s own pixie dust. The creatures have pixie secured for some sort of ritual and the other girls start to come around locked in a very secure boiler room that even X-23 hasn’t been able to get them out of yet.

Meanwhile there are two search parties formed to come search for the girls. One consisting of X-Men and a couple Young X-Men, the other Pixie’s real mother and her two half sisters. This is the lame ‘charmed ones’ moment of the book where we find out that there is a connection with the powers of all the Wyngarde offspring.

I don’t know where this is going to lead, and I’m sure Pixie find out who she really is will lead to further development of her character. This isn’t a necessary read, but it is pretty fun.

3 out of 5 Mind Witches…(now I want a sandwich)

38X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Pixie Strikes Back! #4 of 4

I have mixed feelings about this mini’s conclusion. I thought that it was too awesome that they were adding some meat to the character of Pixies by revealing her true parents and thus revealing who her sisters were. They also used this story as a way to amp up Pixie’s magic levels, giving her a little bit more for her arsenal. The execution of this story was just a little weak though.

Immonen seemed to be trying to hard to be hip and trendy with his writing style, and it came across as very juvenile and forced. It almost felt as if he forgot the target demographic of this book, or I grew up and fell out of it. Either way one of my bigst gripes with this book has been the art. EVERY FEMAL CHARACTER looks the same. There my be lipstick and eye shadow/liner differences at times but for the most part they all look incredibly alike.

The story wrap up was utterly disappointing, I think I’ve actually read fan-fic that was better executed. We did get some character development out of the issue and that was a plus, but overall it could have been done better. The art was hit or miss, mostly miss and the interaction between the girls was annoying as were the intentional attacks on the English language. (My best example is where they spell crazy as “crazie” for the soul purpose of making it look more like a rhyme with Pixie.

The soul dagger/sword plan and imagery was definitely the best part of the story. The action scenes were all right, but then there is the issue with the faces.

2.5 out of 5 Slain Demons

39X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Wed May 26, 2010 5:39 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26405

X-men day.... to happen when the new X-men 1 comes out....

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

40X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i read that x-men forever annual #1....pretty basic story...right up until....

Spoiler:

i'm now gonna pick up the other ones if i can just to finish it out.....good lord, sometimes loyalty to a brand makes you hurt inside.

41X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Interesting tidbit from a recent Joe Q interview possibly involving an X-Men project and...Mark Millar?
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26599

Kiel Phegley: nightwing45 had three questions, starting with: "1. Mark Millar mentioned he was working on a Spider-Man related project on BBC radio, I don't know how long ago. Can you tell us what it is about? Or is it too soon?"

Joe Quesada: Well, nightwing45, I don't believe it was a Spider-Man project he was referring to, but a Marvel Universe project. Anyway, why don't we go right to the door of his little hobbit house and ask the crazy Scotsman himself!

Mark Millar: Ah, I'm glad you brought this up because I've been putting together notes on this for months and I'm getting very excited about it. I like the idea of jumping back and forth between creator-owned books and Marvel projects. It just appeals to me creatively, and when I've run out of juice on one thing I can jump over to the other, feeling completely rejuvenated again. I've a wave of Millarworld things either out now or coming out soon with "Nemesis," "Superior" and of course "Kick-Ass 2" starting in August, but then it's straight back into a Marvel mega project for me to exercise the other side of my brain. In the meantime, you have the amazing Leinil,Yu drawing Ghost Rider, Punisher, our new Hulk and all your favourites in "Ultimate Avengers 2" (with Steve Dillon already hard at work on "Ultimate Avengers 3" featuring Blade and my brand new Daredevil). But between now and Christmas I'm getting serious on this highly classified Marvel project and hope to come out to New York soon to talk to the guys in a little more detail. It's way to soon for spoilers and so a hint is probably best at this stage, even if it's only a letter. Let me see. What letter could I spill from the title? "X," perhaps?

huh

42X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:30 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^Interesting. If Millar is indeed doing an X-book, what artist do you want him teamed with?

43X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Foreigner_Man wrote:^Interesting. If Millar is indeed doing an X-book, what artist do you want him teamed with?

Hm good question. Leinil Yu was the first name to come to mind, probably cuz he was mentioned in the article lol. I would love to see him drawing the X-Men. Not sure if it's possible though cuz he's doing Millar's new Superior book after UA2.

44X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Yu on X-men again would be cool. I don't think Jimmy Cheung has done an X-book. Michael Gaydos is an underrated artist..an X-book could do him good.

45X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Cheung is amazing but he's on Children's Crusade, plus he just can't keep up with a monthly schedule lol. Gaydos is an interesting suggestion.

I hope its not an Ultimate book. I'd like to see Millar try has hand at another 616 book, and the X-office could use some new blood to spice things up a bit.

46X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men - Page 2 X-MenV

evil

47X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:10 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^*sigh* This whole vampire thing just screams 90s (in a bad way). It's just WAY too gimmicky for me. I'm going to pass on it.

48X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

(I guess this is the best thread for this)

X-Men #1

I thought this was a good start. Vampires are making a strong play in the Marvel Universe...things kicked off in the Death of Dracula one-shot (which was great) and now they're making their move here. They seem to have a very intricate plan. Also, I really liked to see Jubilee getting some face time.

For those that can get past the initial reaction to the premise of Mutants vs Vampires, this is a pretty damn good read.

49X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm

TheBrownLantern

TheBrownLantern
Cadet
Cadet

Batman25JM wrote:^*sigh* This whole vampire thing just screams 90s (in a bad way). It's just WAY too gimmicky for me. I'm going to pass on it.

I was feeling the same way. But I bought it cuz of Medina's art. Time will tell if this new X-Men title is worth its weight. It was slightly better than I thought it would be. I did not appreciate the extra crappery they draped on at the end. A full 64pg story with some punch, starting this whole, random Mutants vs. Vampires, would have made the series a lot more appealing for me

I get it. Dracula appeared memorably in Uncanny #159, and this storyline kinda re-appeared in that Mutant X series...so they're going to re-visit that story. I hope its good reading

50X-Men - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Men Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

SDCC '10 X-Men Panel:
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/2010/07/sdcc-x-men-panel.html#more

* Kieron Gillen will be writing a new X-Men ongoing in November titled "Generation Hope" - it will focus on Hope and the other new mutants to come onto the scene and will spin out of Uncanny X-Men #526. It will also be awesome due to the aforementioned Gillen writing it. Nick Lowe said it really reminded him of the early New Mutants issues from back in the day.

* In case he wasn't busy enough already, Wolverine will spread his wings into the previously announced Jason Aaron penned reboot of "Wolverine" as well as December's "Wolverine: The Best There Is" from Charlie Huston and and Juan Jose Ryp. Not only that, but "Daken: Dark Wolverine" and "X-23" will launch, both of which will tie closely in with the other Wolverine books.

* "Uncanny X-Force" will bring back Apocalypse right off the bat, much to Archangel's chagrin Remender assures us.

* Starting in January, the X-Men will now be teaming up with other superheroes. This is exciting news, as it seems that the X-Men are finally getting some respect, Rodney Dangerfield style.

* There was another "Man Without Fear" presentation at the X-Men panel, this time with Gambit instead of Nova.

* Fan: "Who decided to kill Nightcrawler?" Craig Kyle's snappy response: "Bastion." Priceless. Alonso also added that it was a natural storybeat, and that they couldn't ignore it.

* A woman comes up, starts off with "Matt Fraction, thanks for giving Cyclops his balls back." (Fraction's response: "Wait'll you see the action figure!") Question is "When will Havok return from space?" Response from Lowe: The properly vague "he will return, but I can't tell you when."

* Arune Singh and Nick Lowe both hinted that clues to Sabretooth's status could come in Wolverine #1.

* A fan asks about how the writers/editors decide who to kill/dismember/maim/whatever. Peter David: "We don't target characters and say, what story can we tell to utterly annihilate them. Killing Nightcrawler means we don't get to write him. We like writing him." Evidently they are also sad about Nightcrawler going.

* Another response to the question came from Alonso, in which he let everyone know that when they discussed Cable dying and how it would go down, the whole X-Team fell to pieces and cried. He alleged that he yelled at a crying Jason Aaron to deflect from his own tears.

* Fan asks about Rogue and Gambit getting back together. Lowe's response: "We've seen a lot of Rogue and Gambit together in the past. You might want to look to other suitors." Even better response from David: "I want to see Rogue get together with a vampire, just to confuse the 'True Blood' fans."

* It was confirmed that Kyle and Yost will be taking a break from the X-books post "X-Force: Sex & Violence."

* Peter David stated that he would not be blowing up the status quo anymore on "X-Factor", but then added that Rahne Sinclair's return will lead to one of the characters from the Rictor/Shatterstar couple leaving the book in #214. Much to the chagrin of Ricstar 'shippers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum