Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guardians of the Galaxy

+5
Fresh03
rwe1138
shiky800
Nymn
LOOSECANNON
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

GOTG #22

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. This book is just always so damn good. Get rid of Nova. And have him join this group. Yeah! This book was hilarious, considering how serious the dilemma was. Just fruitful.

4/5 Bags&Boards - You love my Friday night laziness?

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

27Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:17 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Great issue, we get one storyline resolved, and another furthered, I know I ask all the time, but do the Guardians ever catch a break? I guess they kind of got one this issue, but they're about to enter a shit storm of epic proportions.

That last page reveal was awesome though, we all kind of suspected it, but seeing is believeing.

Spoiler:

Loved this issue too! Can't wait to see what Warlock/Magus's ultimate plan is. DnA's concept of life "beating" death in the Fault universe is so unique. Its cool to see that life is literally a cancer in that universe. Plus I'm really digging Brad Walker's pencils, hope he stays on the book for awhile.

28Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 am

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

I like the symmetry that in Warlock and the Infinity watch had a Thanos story in issue 25, and now this title is. I'll pick it up, because I love me some Thanos.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

29Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i can't wait till thanos returns. also i agree put nova on this team and cancel his book

30Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Life wins.... in Earth 23 (cathulu verse) that is an enteresting twist. I know I wasn't the only one hoping for a panel with the god exploding out of Moon Dragon....right? This issue is stellar The space books deserve so much more love than they get.

31Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #22 was just great and, as much as I knew it would be the case, it was great to see that the "dead" Guardians are actually still alive.

rwe1138 wrote:I highly enjoyed #22. Especially the last page reveal. Very Happy

And we got another classic Star-Lord line: "I'd flash you my business card, but my hands are full of guns." lol!
Yep, that was one of the lines of the year for me and we've still got nearly 11 months to go!!!!

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Loved this issue too! Can't wait to see what Warlock/Magus's ultimate plan is. DnA's concept of life "beating" death in the Fault universe is so unique. Its cool to see that life is literally a cancer in that universe. Plus I'm really digging Brad Walker's pencils, hope he stays on the book for awhile.
I'm with you on Brad Walker. I've really grown to love his art and hope he's here to stay.

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Life wins.... in Earth 23 (cathulu verse) that is an enteresting twist. I know I wasn't the only one hoping for a panel with the god exploding out of Moon Dragon....right?
Heh - yep I was looking for it too. In fact, they kind of glossed over exactly how Moondragon got that thing out of her.

32Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Unfortunately, Wes Craig is back next arc. I guess they're alternating arcs. dry

33Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Unfortunately, Wes Craig is back next arc. I guess they're alternating arcs. dry
Frak!

34Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Unfortunately, Wes Craig is back next arc. I guess they're alternating arcs. dry
Frak!
Laughing I love those cosmic expletives!

35Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#23 was pretty good, if a tad exposition-heavy.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

36Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:37 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

GOTG #23

I can hardly breath. I agree with rwe1138, that was a lot to take in. But you've got to give credit where it's due. Maybe there are a few revelations too many, but as comic book fans and critics we always complain when "nothing happens in the issue." Finding that proper balance might be tougher for an author (in this case, authors) during an event that's about to finish. Jesse Schedeen's review on IGN is on-point when he speaks about the sudden cohesion and re-energizing this issue has given this "crossover" overall. For some months, I've noticed many lovers of W.O.K. running away due to the scattered threads R.O.K. has. Well, hopefully that's stopped. With one month left to go in this status quo, we can finally put all the pieces together...I think.

Yes, timestream deaths in comics are getting stale. There's no question. At the same time we have fans crying for certain superheroes' absence. There's no pleasing everyone. Also, I've become very critical of Wes Craig's "subtle" art in the past but I can't imagine Brad Walker delivering the same amount of emotional resonance. Craig's torture scenes involving the Magus and Phyla-Vell will surely touch many souls. Since none of the characters involved "returning" from the afterlife (if you remember Quasar's presence in Nova, who knows?) are major ones, I'm not as angry at the resurrections. Okay, I'm done talking: GOTG #23 is another excellent issue.

4/5 Bags&Boards - This baby's on a roll.

37Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This book is getting better and better. Great to see Phyla, Cosmo, Gamora and the gang back. Magus is loving the "death-less" Fault universe...and Thanos (Death's lover) is set to return soon. Things seem to be on a VERY dangerous collision course...

38Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah I thought #23 was just excellent. I love these characters and I think this may be one of my favourite team books out there. I do not like Wes Craig's cartoony art one bit and I just find it inappropriate for the style of book here. Hopefully won't be long until Walker's back. Oh and even though I always thought they were all alive it was good to see it confirmed that Phyla-Vell, Cosmo, Mantis, Major Victory and Gamora (interesting to see if she has been "turned") were still around, if not necessarily okay.

39Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:48 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

The ending of #24 was fan-freakin-tastic. One word:

Spoiler:

headbang

40Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:The ending of #24 was fan-freakin-tastic. One word:

Spoiler:

headbang
Hell yeah! Is there anything better than Magus (avatar of Life) vs Thanos (avatar of Death) for the fate of the Universe?!

41Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

GoG #24

This was another awesome issue. I can't wait until the team meats up and becomes whole again. Rocket is given a couple good zingers, but the Donald Trump Moment of the book leads to a great reveal to end the issue. This has become a series that you just can't get enough of. Cosmic arcs for the win.

4 out of 5 Avatars of Death.

42Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Well, looks like they've found their solution to what the Magus has in mind, lol.

Great fun as usual out of the GotG. Rocket stole the show with two panels, lol, gotta love the little guy.

The battle between the lost Guardians and the Universal Church of Truth was fun as you see the misfits of the MU show just how powerful they can be as a team.

Starlord finds a way to get some political footing back after essentially getting politically pwned by Blaastar over the last couple of issues, never thought I'd say that about a comic.

The end was awesome, Donald Trump indeed, lol.

Good stuff as usual out of DnA and while I don't dig Craig's art, the story more than makes up for it as you get sucker punched in the face several times in this issue.

43Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Was supposed to review this book for cb too, but due to time-restrictions, or me forgetting to submit it on time, I won't.

4/5 Star Lord Leadership Qualities. Uh...

44Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought #24 was one of the best written issues of this series so far. I think DnA just did a really great job with the method they used for this issue. Great work.

I feel sorry for Phyla, nothing ever seems to go right for her.

And it must have been good because Wes Craig's art didn't bother me as much as usual this issue!

45Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:07 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Surprisingly, Wes Craig's art has somewhat grown on me this arc, at least in terms of his storytelling ability. I dunno if he's improved or if DnA are just killing it so much that it doesn't matter.

Did anyone else love Gamora's not-so-subtle pass at Major Victory?? Laughing

46Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:^Surprisingly, Wes Craig's art has somewhat grown on me this arc, at least in terms of his storytelling ability. I dunno if he's improved or if DnA are just killing it so much that it doesn't matter.

Did anyone else love Gamora's not-so-subtle pass at Major Victory?? Laughing
Yeah that was funny - Is there a zipper in that suit? Actually I'm sure there is or I think that his teammates would have commented on how rank he smells by now.

You know, with Major Victory in this time it means Steve Rogers and Bucky could both have a shield each. I don't suppose the Major would be all the keen to give it up or probably wouldn't have the opportunity to meet those guys anyway.

47Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Guardians of the Galaxy #25

Now, after reading this issue and viewing this week’s solicits, it almost makes sense as to why Marvel’s two flagship Cosmic U titles will go on hiatus during The Thanos Imperative. For one, Nova has certainly lost much of its luster during the Realm of Kings status quo, baffling the most knowledgeable of time-traveling lovers in the process. His reward? Why, Nova joins Ed Brubaker’s most suddenly infamous group of oddball espionage heroes ever assembled, the Secret Avengers. As for the Guardians of the Galaxy, their run has been a spectacular one. Certainly, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning’s writing of this title has never suffered during crossover events; rather, the Guardians only became that much more enticing—easily becoming the standout amongst others during a very pedestrian Realm.

With much ado about The Fault, the origin of the Guardians (circa 2008-2010), and the ironic timing of this return for Thanos, the future Guardians of 3010 take their contemplations to the higher council. This sequence is overly talky, overly confusing with several versions of characters (which Starhawk is who?), and downright too reminiscent of the Direct Competitor’s other Corps council system. Once the Guardians meet and greet their temporarily-deceased comrades (not a spoiler, since we most know the leftovers were stuck in time witnessing Phyla scuffling with Magus), they’re instantly thrown into battle with a very disturbed, very feral and very naked Thanos. Some of the fighting sequences are cool, especially those involving Drax—who earned the name Destroyer by last defeating Thanos—and Groot, although it’s not hard to admit that the bantering from this group is getting damp. Even a reunion between Cosmos and Rocket Raccoon goes without a laugh.

The good news is, at least for those who shunned Wes Craig’s cartoony-inspired stylings, is that Brad Walker delivers the touch that many fell in love with this title in the first place.

Before I conclude this review it must be noted that, as a swansong for the title, Guardians of the Galaxy #25 does indeed go out with a…well…”Bang!” Peter Quill, not surprisingly, has all the best lines, and his character remains the star of the show to the very end. But, other than the presence of Star-Lord and the Walker’s pencil legerdemain throughout, this finale isn’t up to par with recent issues of the Guardians. As a loyal follower of Abnett & Lanning’s Cosmic Universe and one with much optimism for the Heroic Age banner, there’s certainly hope for this fun-loving motley crew of celestial heroes in finding their way back into the mix. While a rest for the group, if in fact you call a war with Thanos a breather, is much needed, these characters have simply moved too many hearts and tickled too many bones to be brushed aside.

3.5/5 Cosmic Slops - Enjoyable "end" to the ever-enjoyable Guardians. My guess is that this is the finish to Volume 1.

48Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

I highly enjoyed #25. I really hope the series returns in some iteration after the Thanos mini.

49Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:00 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Guardians of the Galaxy #25Lead-in to: The Thanos Imperative

Everybody was amazed and relieved when we found out that half of the 616 continuity Guardians were actually not dead. Equally astonished at the sight of the mad titan Thanos emerging from a cacoon at the end of the last book. Realm of Kings is wrapping up and we still don’t have any sign of Blackbolt, Vulcon, or the Cathulu-verse Quasar. This can only lead to good things right? Okay proably not. I’m wondering if this epic tale is taking too long to tell. I know that sales for the book haven’t always been the greatest. Many things are out there that need resolved before the criminally slow sales of these space books prevents us from seeing the en result sooner than later. This story continues to be good month after month but I think it is missing the punch that major players in the Marvel Universe give to story arcs like this.

Taking Havok, and the other mutant members of the new Starjammers out of the picture was a criminal act IMO. I think having those mutants thrown in the mix at least sold a couple thousand books. It was also a good place to see leader Alex Summers, the one that we have only really seen in space and in the Mutant X world.

These gripes about the arc aside, this is still some of the best stuff coming out of Marvel.

GotG #25 kicks off 1000 years in the future with a meeting of the council of Guardians of the Galaxies. This is the future where everything had gone to crap and ½ of the GotG team experienced some crazy things at the apparent end of existence before they piloted a Celestial head back to the present. Well all that is gone now and things look normal. However the council believes that it is just the calm before the storm. There is still an anomaly in space time that happens during the time of 2008-2010. Hilariously enough we find out all the problems in the universe seem to stem from that time.

Flashing back to present the GotG crew have arrived on a destroyed planet to rescue their comrades to find that one of their own has fallen with much of the population of the planet. Thanos is in a berserker type rage destroying everything and living up to his title as Avatar of Death. He was a peace with Mistress Death and somebody brought him back he isn’t happy about it. Drax is also more than willing to help him, but Gamora informs him of a problem with the whole KILL the Mad Titan plan. In the future they announce that Thanos is the error in space time. His resurrection is the source of this disturbance. I don’t know if I believe that that is the only thing going on though, apparently they haven’t been into the fault, because that stuff is pretty scary.

This book has lots of action lots of plot and delivers with strong writing and art. DnA are crafting a masterpiece but this seemed like filler leading into Thanos Imperative.

3.5 out of 5 Starlords

50Guardians of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Agreed with all you guys, great issue. Thanos was raging! He's always so cerebral and methodical, so it was a nice change of pace to see him "Hulk-out" a bit. Laughing

Like Nova, sucks to see this series end but I'm sure we'll see some sort of GotG book after TTI.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum