Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superman: Secret Origin

+7
Batman25JM
Bigtymin504
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Combo Mo
Nymn
LOOSECANNON
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Superman: Secret Origin Empty Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:05 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman: Secret Origin #2

There have been a gazillion Superman origin stories with Birthright being my favorite. What Johns does right on this series however is do things differently. I didn't expect anything less, but he more or less combines what he believes are highlights from such stories as Man of Steel, Birthright, Man of Tomorrow, and Smallville and boggles them down to a small 6-issue mini highlighting one thesis. Is it that Clark's always had these superhero qualities despite being tested constantly as a child? See you next month.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Excellent

Last edited by LOOSECANNON on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

2Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:59 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

This issue was fun! I like the Legion a lot, and even though I prefer the reboot guys (bring them back in something, DC!), I'll take any version. One thing I'm glad this mini doesn't have is the Pa Kent from Birthright, he was a real dink.

3Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 am

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What is the Super-Sun referring to??

4Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:07 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Maybe it's upcoming! We know the New Krypton-Earth war hasn't really started yet.

5Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This series is a fun read. I'll be getting this when it's traded but I like this a lot.

6Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Like others have said, this book is just pure fun. And I dont remember if the comics ever really talked about Lex's dad, but if they havent, then it was a nice Smallville nod by mentioning Lionel.

7Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Really solid issue again. You gotta feel bad for lil Clark when he overhears his classmates making fun of him...poor guy. I'm not really a fan of the Legion so that part was just okay for me. But I liked the developments with Lex. Like LordD said, the Lionel angle is very Smallville-like, this whole mini sort of has that feel to it.

8Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:37 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I too liked the Lionel nod.

I love this series. Despite the fact that I don't really like the idea of Clark wearing the costume as a boy, or him knowing Lex back then (like it in Smallville, but not in comic continuity) I still love this book. I think that's a testament to Johns' writing. He's just awesome.

I do have a question: prior to this book, was it still in continuity that Clark and Lex had known each other as kids?

9Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:43 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Only since Birthright, I think. Before that, I'm pretty sure they stuck with the Man of Steel origin by John Byrne, more or less.

10Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:45 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nymn wrote:Only since Birthright, I think. Before that, I'm pretty sure they stuck with the Man of Steel origin by John Byrne, more or less.

Alrighty, thanks.

11Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm enjoying this series alot now, to me it's the superior version of Smallville (thogh i'm not sure if i like that Lex is always a prick instead of begrudgingly being his friend). Loved the second spacecraft at the end and i'm liking the suoerman mythos much more then i used to. I like the Waid/Kitson Legion the best though.

12Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

preview of issue 3;
http://comics.ign.com/articles/104/1048973p1.html

13Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:42 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Another excellent issue in #3. It was reminiscent of the original 1978 movie while giving its own spin on Supes and Lois' first meeting. Warners needs to get Geoff Johns to write the script for the next Superman movie.

14Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Another excellent issue in #3. It was reminiscent of the original 1978 movie while giving its own spin on Supes and Lois' first meeting. Warners needs to get Geoff Johns to write the script for the next Superman movie.

I completely agree.

Issue #3 was fantastic. I could not have loved it more. I would love it if Johns got to do an ongoing dealing with Superman's early days.

15Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman: Secret Origin #3

Both Blackest Night & Green Lantern had near-classic books out this week. My favorite of the bunch? This one, Superman: Secret Origin. Yup, if you know Supes you've either read something terribly similiar to this issue in other comics or watched it on DVD. Doesn't matter. Geoff Johns' own imprint on Superman mashes the "olden days" of the cape's comics with all available media sources: TV, movies and cartoons). There's always a lot of complaining about Frank's visual references to Christopher Reeve for Clark Kent. But if this is their defining version, don't you think that's fine? I mean, who else do you think of as Superman? I know it's not Brandon Routh...

4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Too tired to finish review, but it's an awesome book.

16Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Superman: Secret Origin #3

Both Blackest Night & Green Lantern had near-classic books out this week. My favorite of the bunch? This one, Superman: Secret Origin. Yup, if you know Supes you've either read something terribly similiar to this issue in other comics or watched it on DVD. Doesn't matter. Geoff Johns' own imprint on Superman mashes the "olden days" of the cape's comics with all available media sources: TV, movies and cartoons). There's always a lot of complaining about Frank's visual references to Christopher Reeve for Clark Kent. But if this is their defining version, don't you think that's fine? I mean, who else do you think of as Superman? I know it's not Brandon Routh...

4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Too tired to finish review, but it's an awesome book.

Who is complaining about Frank's Superman looking like Christopher Reeve? Pretty much everything I've read praises his work. Granted most of it was on here or the WUMB.

I know I'm probably the only one, but when I think live action Superman the first person who comes to my mind is Dean Cain. I grew up with Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. I've only seen the original Superman movie once and I've never even seen 2, 3, or 4.

17Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: Secret Origin #3

Great issue! I liked it much better than the last. Seeing the first meeting of Clark and Lois and the rest of the Daily Planet gang was a treat. I love how awkward and innocent Clark is when he first moved to Metropolis. And of course, great art by Frank as usual...his Lois was pretty hot lol. Wink

18Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:39 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:Who is complaining about Frank's Superman looking like Christopher Reeve?

Oh, probably no one on this board. I'm speaking about reviews, blogs and comments from other sites I frequent. This site also isn't the only place I put my review so sometimes they make no sense wub

19Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman Secret Origin #3

I liked the way Johns set up alot of the mythology (Daily Planet going under, Metallo, Parasite) and the interpretations of the DP staffers. Clark does feel like a fish out of water with good reason in Metropolis. I do wish he fills in what happens between him, Pete, Lana and Luthor. I really enjoy the series as a whole and it reminds of Spectacualr Spiderman's format of intergraining movies/cartoons/comics et cetera.

20Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really liked issue #4. Frank's art is just amazing. I LOVE his Lois Lane. She's beautiful yet strong.

I loved the whole thing with Jimmy and Superman.

21Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been checking this out and it's cool. I will get this in trade but I am loving this mini-series. I love the story and the art. It's beautiful.

22Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:57 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Supes: SO #4

Despite our vast knowledge of Superman's origin, this version from Johns and Frank still stimulates my brain cells. It's a lot of splash and style, a lot cued off the movies, the cartoons, the tv shows, and past comics, but that's what makes it so cool. If I go any further in this review I'll start to sound like a broken record. If you don't already know by now, then you just won't.

4/5 B&B - Highly enjoyable Superman origin tale. So WHAT if we know what's coming?

23Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#4 was another solid issue, especially Frank's art. Its nice to see the beginnings of Luthor's personal crusade against Superman. Plus the building of Supes's relationship with Lois and Jimmy. Not so sure about the Parasite-via-jelly-doughnut retcon though Laughing

24Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:47 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, #4 is more of the same.. that is, alot of fun. To be honest, I forgot all about this series with everything going on, but just like that it proves to be a solid enjoyable read.

25Superman: Secret Origin Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Not so sure about the Parasite-via-jelly-doughnut retcon though Laughing

Actually, I think this works a bit better than Rudy being tricked by Darkseid to open a toxic waste barrel.

That's one of the things I love about Geoff Johns. He's had his fair share of retcons, but they at least make sense and 9 out of 10 times are better than the original.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum