Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superman: Secret Origin

+7
Batman25JM
Bigtymin504
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Combo Mo
Nymn
LOOSECANNON
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I really like this. I sorta think I should have trade waited for this, it'll look/read better in one book, but meh it's still a good book so singles are fine.

27Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Not so sure about the Parasite-via-jelly-doughnut retcon though Laughing

Actually, I think this works a bit better than Rudy being tricked by Darkseid to open a toxic waste barrel.

That's one of the things I love about Geoff Johns. He's had his fair share of retcons, but they at least make sense and 9 out of 10 times are better than the original.
For the most part I agree about Johns's retcons, but this one is a lil too silly lol.

28Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:37 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:For the most part I agree about Johns's retcons, but this one is a lil too silly lol.

Meh, I still found it enjoyable. And again, it works better than Darkseid wanting to recreate the Parasite just because he remembered the Pre-Crisis version. shake my head

29Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Agreed. This ish was great but I notice that on a personal level I don't feel excited when reading character dialouge during battles, it just seems they're [as characters] taking not seriously enough and it's not just this, it's other comics I read. Hope that Lana comes back fir next issue because I wanna know what wet down between her and Clark before he left for Metropolis. Also how old is Superman and Lois nowadays in the DCU? I'm not sure how the old ones look younger then the present versions.

30Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:37 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Origins #5 comes out this following week, kinda seems like the "coming up" for number #4 sounded like a valentine's day thing but I guess Johns was too busy and thats OK.

31Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:Also how old is Superman and Lois nowadays in the DCU?

Mid-30's I think

32Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:57 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Supes: SO #5

I was supposed to review this for comicsbulletin this week, but it's already Sunday and yesterday's Boston Comic Con has simply wore me down for a full, extensive review. However, I will say that this issue, albeit the penultimate one, is Johns and Frank's best go at Secret Origin yet. All the pieces in making a frantic finale are here: Lois & Clark becoming one; Lex Luthor and General Lane's tag-team of power; awestruck splash pages of Christopher Reeve Superman saving people from burning buildings, posing cars over his head for Olsen, and taking down a platoon of Army soldiers after Lane's interrogation. A part of me wants this to keep rolling another 7 issue, but with the $3.99 price tag, I have faith that Johns will send us home happy.

4/5 Microscopic Visions - Excellent

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

33Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Supes: SO #5

I was supposed to review this for comicsbulletin this week, but it's already Sunday and yesterday's Boston Comic Con has simply wore me down for a full, extensive review. However, I will say that this issue, albeit the penultimate one, is Johns and Frank's best go at Secret Origin yet. All the pieces in making a frantic finale are here: Lois & Clark becoming one; Lex Luthor and General Lane's tag-team of power; awestruck splash pages of Christopher Reeve Superman saving people from burning buildings, posing cars over his head for Olsen, and taking down a platoon of Army soldiers after Lane's interrogation. A part of me wants this to keep rolling another 7 issue, but with the $3.99 price tag, I have faith that Johns will send us home happy.

4/5 Microscopic Visions - Excellent

Agreed. I finally just got around to reading this, and just like the previous issues, this was pure fun. Gary Frank really nailed each facial expression, and Johns' once again sets up some of the most entertaining interactions with Clark. Well done.

34Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:Also how old is Superman and Lois nowadays in the DCU?

Mid-30's I think
I always thought he was supposed to be perpetually 28 or is that not right???

I don't normally pick up the Superman books but I've liked the looks of this. Think it would be worth getting the trade?

35Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
I always thought he was supposed to be perpetually 28 or is that not right???

I don't normally pick up the Superman books but I've liked the looks of this. Think it would be worth getting the trade?

I honestly have no idea. I have the DC Encyclopedia at home, I'll take a look if it says anything about it.

And yes I recommend getting the trade. This has been good fun

36Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: Secret Origin #5

I LOVED this, just LOVED it. I'd been forgetting how much I actually like Superman. The main Superman books have been kinda meh for me lately. The whole New Krypton thing started out fun, but I've been SOOOOO bored with it lately. This book reminded me of how fun Superman can be. I really want this New Krypton thing over with, and I want Superman back on Earth and at the Daily Planet. And I wish that Johns and Frank would come back to Action Comics.

Frank's art here was just fantastic. I think he draws my favorite Superman, and he definitely draws my favorite Lois Lane.

And I agree with LordD3r3k, Aussiemandias you should definitely pick up the trade.

37Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: Secret Origin #6

Loved it. This is the kind of Superman story I want to read. Him kicking some ass.

Honestly, this series as a whole didn't need to exist. The origin didn't need to be retold. Everyone and their mother knows Superman's origin. That said, I freakin' loved this series. Johns kicked ass here. Even if this doesn't have any lasting effect, it was a fun ride. Also, Gary Frank should be the official Superman artist. I love his art soooooooo much.

Johns and Frank need a new ongoing Superman book.

38Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I agree, this is probably my favorite Superman team next to Morrison and Quitely. And I agree that as good as this was, I wouldn't really miss much if I waited to get the soft cover for 8 bucks or skipped it.

39Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:50 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Johns and Frank need a new ongoing Superman book.

Or they just need to go back on Action Comics. Their run there was fantastic.

I saw this as something similar to what JMS is trying to do in Superman, tell stories about how people view him. Except, this has been more entertaining.

40Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Johns and Frank need a new ongoing Superman book.

Or they just need to go back on Action Comics. Their run there was fantastic.

I saw this as something similar to what JMS is trying to do in Superman, tell stories about how people view him. Except, this has been more entertaining.

I'd love for them to come back to Action Comics, but since other things are going on in that right now, and I don't want to wait, I'd like to see DC give them a new book.

I agree about this being similar to what JMS is doing, but that it's more entertaining.

41Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have been checking this out here and there knowing I was going to get this in trade. I am so excited to have a collected hardcover of this story. It's so freaking awesome.

42Superman: Secret Origin - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman: Secret Origin Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Secret Origin was definitely a success...shitty this last issue was so delayed.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum