Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Films of David Lynch

+5
Debaser77
Spaced4SimonPegg
Ben Akers
Combo Mo
Jherek
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Films of David Lynch Empty The Films of David Lynch Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Let's talk Lynch. I draw the line at 'Dune' though. Boy that movie stunk the place up!

My fave Lynch movie at the moment is 'Inland Empire'. And I would have 'Twin Peaks' on as TV wallpaper 24/7 if I could. IMHO the man is one of the few directors working today who not only creates consistantly intriguing films but truly deserves the epithet Genius.

Agree? Disagree ?

2The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My favorite is The Straight Story.

An amazing, underrated film.

3The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I actually like his version of Dune.

It might not capture the whole of the book, but it gets the spirit right and that counts for a lot in my book.

4The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't get Lynch...he is just too weird for me.

5The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Mulholland Drive was the only movie of his that I've seen and fully enjoyed. I liked parts of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but at the end felt a little let down. Lynch is definitely talented but he just doesn't do it for me that much.

6The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:30 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spoilers below if you haven't seen Twin Peaks

Jherek wrote:Let's talk Lynch. I draw the line at 'Dune' though. Boy that movie stunk the place up!

My fave Lynch movie at the moment is 'Inland Empire'. And I would have 'Twin Peaks' on as TV wallpaper 24/7 if I could. IMHO the man is one of the few directors working today who not only creates consistantly intriguing films but truly deserves the epithet Genius.

Agree? Disagree ?
Jherek, I love David Lynch's movies.

Twin Peaks was an incredible experience when it was first on (mostly season 1 though). There's a scene in Twin Peaks I'll never forget due to scaring the absolute crap out of me. Remember this? (I haven't seen it for ages so may have it slightly wrong) Laura Palmer's mother goes under hypnosis to see if she can remember anything further from the morning after Laura disappeared. On that morning she looked in Laura's bedroom to find it empty. Under hypnosis she re-looked at the scene and discovered that the whole time "Bob" was hiding behind the bed and peaking out over the top of it. I swear that scene had me unable to sleep for several nights!

Naomi Watts's performance in Mulholland Drive is one of the truly great performances in my opinion. Blows your mind.

You know, I'm inspired by this to go back and watch a whole bunch of Lynch's movies because I haven't seen any apart from Mulholland Drive for a long time.

Can you tell me a little bit about Inland Empire? I've heard mixed reviews.

7The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:50 am

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Mulholland Drive was the only movie of his that I've seen and fully enjoyed. I liked parts of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but at the end felt a little let down. Lynch is definitely talented but he just doesn't do it for me that much.
I still have to watch Mulholland Drive, been on my must-see list for years.

Blue Velvet, I watched when it first came out...but I think I was too young to get into it.

8The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:06 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Twin Peaks is as old as I am, so 16 years after the series finished, I discover it on DVD and get excited, "who killed Laura Palmer?! I must stay away from the internet so the ending isn't ruined for me!"

9The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really liked the Twin Peaks-inspired episode of Darkwing Duck, Twin Beaks.

10The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Combo Mo wrote:My favorite is The Straight Story.

An amazing, underrated film.
Agreed. A quietly beautiful, piece of gentle story telling. It proves that Lynch can do understatement if he chooses.

11The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:34 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I went as Frank Booth from Blue Velvet to a fancy dress party, I was loud and drunk so I could stay in character
The Films of David Lynch Frank210

12The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Ben Akers wrote:I actually like his version of Dune.

It might not capture the whole of the book, but it gets the spirit right and that counts for a lot in my book.
I think Lynch's Dune adaptation suffered in a number of ways.
1. the book is so densely packed with info and back story not to mention glossaries and apendices that turning it into a movie must be like trying to film Wikipedia. Lynch made a brave effort but was, I understand, hampered by interference from the studio and the producer.
2. It was hampered in the general movie going public's mind at the time by unfavourable comparisons with Star Wars. (remember it was released just five or so years after the first two Lucas epics) I believe the ( un sci-fi savvy )majority actually thought Lynch had ripped off Lucas's ideas and re-done them badly. e.g. The Desert Planet, the Galactic Empire, Spice Traders, quasi religious Mental Adepts, sword fighting rather than laser battles, need I go on? when in actual fact these concepts are all in the original book which was published a good ten years before Star Wars was even on the drawing board.
3. Sting The Films of David Lynch 887618

13The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:I don't get Lynch...he is just too weird for me.
It's the wierdness we likes. The Films of David Lynch 334450

14The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Aussiemandias wrote:Spoilers below if you haven't seen Twin Peaks

Jherek wrote:Let's talk Lynch. I draw the line at 'Dune' though. Boy that movie stunk the place up!

Agree? Disagree ?

Twin Peaks was an incredible experience when it was first on (mostly season 1 though). There's a scene in Twin Peaks I'll never forget due to scaring the absolute crap out of me. Remember this? (I haven't seen it for ages so may have it slightly wrong) Laura Palmer's mother goes under hypnosis to see if she can remember anything further from the morning after Laura disappeared. On that morning she looked in Laura's bedroom to find it empty. Under hypnosis she re-looked at the scene and discovered that the whole time "Bob" was hiding behind the bed and peaking out over the top of it. I swear that scene had me unable to sleep for several nights!

Naomi Watts's performance in Mulholland Drive is one of the truly great performances in my opinion. Blows your mind.

You know, I'm inspired by this to go back and watch a whole bunch of Lynch's movies because I haven't seen any apart from Mulholland Drive for a long time.

Now it's interesting that that is your favourite scene Aussie,and I agree it is pretty gosh darn scary, (I'm even talking like Lynch now The Films of David Lynch 29517 ) The reason it's interesting is this -

Frank Silva, the actor who plays 'Bob', was an electrician/carpenter on the set of the Pilot episode. At this point Lynch had no idea who 'Bob' was or what he would look like. During the filming of the scene you mentioned Silva accidentally trapped himself in the room by inadvertently moving a dresser in front of the door. He didn't manage to stay out of shot however and on examining the rushes in the edit Lynch found he had an image of Silva in the room reflected in a mirror. Lynch, being Lynch, thought that it could fit into the show somewhere, and told Silva that he would like to cast him. Lynch had Silva crouch at the foot of Laura's bed and look through the bars of the footboard, as if he were "trapped" behind them, and filmed it, then had Silva leave the room and filmed the empty room. And thus Killer 'Bob' was born. Possibly one of the scariest baddies in TV history.

15The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Aussiemandias wrote:

Inland Empire is a treat if you love Lynch and possibly a headache if you don't. It's about three hours of pure Lynchian strangeness. All the familiar tropes are there - the blonde and brunette who trade places, the odd collection of characters, a wierd hint of old magicks, scary bad guys, unnecesary long lingering shots, unexplained references, a central mystery, parrallel worlds, a blurring of the line between movies and real life, and an ending that'll have you desperate to watch the whole thing again.

I think you'll love it The Films of David Lynch 334450

16The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

melvinlikechris wrote:I went as Frank Booth from Blue Velvet to a fancy dress party, I was loud and drunk so I could stay in character
The Films of David Lynch Frank210

The Films of David Lynch 29517 The Films of David Lynch 29517

17The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

melvinlikechris wrote:Twin Peaks is as old as I am, so 16 years after the series finished, I discover it on DVD and get excited, "who killed Laura Palmer?! I must stay away from the internet so the ending isn't ruined for me!"
I aint sayin a word! except-
My log saw something that night!

The owls are not what they seem

and they sure serve some DAMN FINE coffee in Twin Peaks! The Films of David Lynch 334450

18The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
Now it's interesting that that is your favourite scene Aussie,and I agree it is pretty gosh darn scary, (I'm even talking like Lynch now The Films of David Lynch 29517 ) The reason it's interesting is this -

Frank Silva, the actor who plays 'Bob', was an electrician/carpenter on the set of the Pilot episode. At this point Lynch had no idea who 'Bob' was or what he would look like. During the filming of the scene you mentioned Silva accidentally trapped himself in the room by inadvertently moving a dresser in front of the door. He didn't manage to stay out of shot however and on examining the rushes in the edit Lynch found he had an image of Silva in the room reflected in a mirror. Lynch, being Lynch, thought that it could fit into the show somewhere, and told Silva that he would like to cast him. Lynch had Silva crouch at the foot of Laura's bed and look through the bars of the footboard, as if he were "trapped" behind them, and filmed it, then had Silva leave the room and filmed the empty room. And thus Killer 'Bob' was born. Possibly one of the scariest baddies in TV history.
That's brilliant, what a great story. I get chills even thinking about that scene.

Jherek wrote:
Inland Empire is a treat if you love Lynch and possibly a headache if you don't. It's about three hours of pure Lynchian strangeness. All the familiar tropes are there - the blonde and brunette who trade places, the odd collection of characters, a wierd hint of old magicks, scary bad guys, unnecesary long lingering shots, unexplained references, a central mystery, parrallel worlds, a blurring of the line between movies and real life, and an ending that'll have you desperate to watch the whole thing again.

I think you'll love it The Films of David Lynch 334450
Good enough for me - I shall check it out as soon as I can.

19The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
melvinlikechris wrote:Twin Peaks is as old as I am, so 16 years after the series finished, I discover it on DVD and get excited, "who killed Laura Palmer?! I must stay away from the internet so the ending isn't ruined for me!"

and they sure serve some DAMN FINE coffee in Twin Peaks! The Films of David Lynch 334450

I always suspected the log did it!

20The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

melvinlikechris wrote:
Jherek wrote:

I always suspected the log did it!

The Films of David Lynch 29517 The Films of David Lynch 29517
definitely implicated.

21The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Like Debaser said, I've only seen and own Mulholland Dr. I enjoyed it.

22The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

BlueMaxx wrote:Like Debaser said, I've only seen and own Mulholland Dr. I enjoyed it.

You should check out Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Inland Empire (the last one only if you really enjoy all the others, it's pretty hard core Lynch)

23The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:52 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:Like Debaser said, I've only seen and own Mulholland Dr. I enjoyed it.

You should check out Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Inland Empire (the last one only if you really enjoy all the others, it's pretty hard core Lynch)

Although I love Blue Velvet a lot, i didn't really dig Inland Empire, I thought that it was to long and yet incomplete

24The Films of David Lynch Empty Re: The Films of David Lynch Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

melvinlikechris wrote:
Jherek wrote:

Although I love Blue Velvet a lot, i didn't really dig Inland Empire, I thought that it was to long and yet incomplete

It is long and like I said I'd only recommend it to hard core Lynchophiles. The Films of David Lynch 334450

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum