Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dark Avengers

+13
Mnemosis
Fresh03
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Rath99
Metal Misfit
Batman25JM
LOOSECANNON
Aussiemandias
shiky800
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Administrator
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Avengers #14

Well I got the Deadpool variant cover for this one so it was all ready a bonus for me. The interaction between Hand and Osbourn was great and I am glad to see she has a backbone. Seems like she has more balls then DumDum Dugan ever had with Fury, and Noman is way more likely to snap and kill her. It was also good to see that they were not blind to the manipulations that Moonstone was playing with. I guess Bullseye trumps wolverines "one time I did it behind a burning car while fighting the brotherhood line," by getting it on with Moonstone on Normans meeting table in front of an audience. Hand has become a vary likable character and I think this issue did her more justice than it did Sentry.

Again we see norman trying to reason with this powerful being, clearly the Void persona being in charge. I wish this Issue had come out before Siege started, it almost seems wrong to put the Siege tag on it especially when the next issue comes out soon and seems so didstant from the happenings of this book. Bendis knocked it out of the park again though for me, simply with the development of Victoria hand... We will find out more about Sentry (Beyonder) soon.

In Sean's ideal world Sentry is found out to be the Beyonder, he wakes up and realizes this again. Then the heroes of Earth pay attention to the huge rip in Space Time that DnA are writing about. And Beyonder sacrifices himself to seal the fault. Unfortunately I don't think marvel has things that intertwined, but it would be nice.

77Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love the double page spread in #14 of Norman and Sentry floating above Manhattan. Fantastic piece of work.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Well #14 didn't give us any new answers about the true nature of Sentry, which was frustrating, but still a good issue. I really liked the beginning with Victoria Hand putting Norman in his place, shows how concerned she is about his mental status right now. And we got to see how Sentry's psyche has essentially become dominated by the Void now, which explains his murderous rampage in Siege. I wonder what will happen if Bullseye succeeds in offing Lindy...
Agree with you here also. I'm a big Bendis fan but I have to say I'm getting the distinct feeling that by the end of Siege we will be no closer to learning what Sentry really is. He is running the risk of emulating 80s Claremont and having about 10 different unresolved plot threads hanging around for years.

Victoria Hand, like Maria Hill before her, will hopefully live on as a supporting character long after Osborn's world comes crashing down.

LOOSECANNON wrote:D.A. #14
Before I move onto the issue itself, I must announce that I'm sad to see the series go. Sure, it's $3.99, but most of the time, even when not always living up to its potential in terms of substance, Dark Avengers was worth it. Eventually, it made the whole Thunderbolts concept mundane. This was the new #1 group of bandits...and pretending to be THE Avengers. Truly twisted.
Very true what you say here - the success of this book and what it is almost undermined the Thunderbolts book a bit. I've said it before but Bendis owes so much with Dark Avengers to Warren Ellis/Mike Deodato's run on Thunderbolts - he took the core group of characters and the artist and the tone and used it for this book. Not that I'm blaming him because Ellis and Deodato did such great work it would have been a shame not to build on it.

78Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Aussie, I'm glad you quoted that because you very well know that'd be quoted in Wizard if the forums still existed. thumbs up

Kidding. Sorta.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

79Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Aussie, I'm glad you quoted that because you very well know that'd be quoted in Wizard if the forums still existed. thumbs up

Kidding. Sorta.
I guess if they were scrounging for quotes they might just do that. tongue

80Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

haha

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

81Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Avengers #15

Well not a lot happened this issue, other than Bullseye following through on offing Lindy. Its safe to say now we know why Sentry is so totally off the hinges in Siege. I also liked that we got some background on how he is Norman's secret weapon.

I wonder if next issue will give us more fill-in-the-gap moments or if it will pick up on present happenings. Either way, #16 is the final issue so I'm expecting it to go out with a bang.

82Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So, Sentry can't read minds anymore? He was able to read Xavier's mind (Xavier with all his mental blocks) when he first re-emerged but fails to do so when he questions the veracity of the person he is dealing with (Bullseye)? Hurm...more things that simply don't add up. I doubt he forgot he could do this.... Suspect shake my head

83Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:So, Sentry can't read minds anymore? He was able to read Xavier's mind (Xavier with all his mental blocks) when he first re-emerged but fails to do so when he questions the veracity of the person he is dealing with (Bullseye)? Hurm...more things that simply don't add up. I doubt he forgot he could do this.... Suspect shake my head

I have a theory, but I bet no one wants to hear it lol!

84Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I"m game.

85Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:So, Sentry can't read minds anymore? He was able to read Xavier's mind (Xavier with all his mental blocks) when he first re-emerged but fails to do so when he questions the veracity of the person he is dealing with (Bullseye)? Hurm...more things that simply don't add up. I doubt he forgot he could do this.... Suspect shake my head
Do you remember exactly what happened in that Xavier encounter? Because Sentry's never been a true telepath as far as I can remember. If that's a very early instance, it seems his powers have evolved since then. I don't recall him reading anyone's mind the last several years.

86Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:32 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

I have a theory, but I bet no one wants to hear it lol!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Do you remember exactly what happened in that Xavier encounter? Because Sentry's never been a true telepath as far as I can remember. If that's a very early instance, it seems his powers have evolved since then. I don't recall him reading anyone's mind the last several years.

I recall Sentry floating near the X-mansion and talking to Xavier. He initiated the mental conversation with Xavier. Seeing how he is not linked to Xavier's mind like the other students or people Xavier knows personally, I doubt that a stranger could roll up on him and start poking at his mind like that. I think Xavier was startled. That said, Bob also implanted his memories in that one author (Paul Jenkins, I believe), so it seems like Sentry has a good deal of mental abilities. He also holds his form together with his mind powers but yeah, I think he has used basic telepathy before. I think his calming effect on the Hulk is also linked to his telepathy. There's also the fact that part of the reason why everyone forgot who he was was due to his own mental power being used by another. If his powers evolved, I'd think he would gain more power or control as opposed to simply losing said power. This should have been a walk in the park for him, something that nagged at me as to why he never read Osborn's mind either.

87Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I recall Sentry floating near the X-mansion and talking to Xavier. He initiated the mental conversation with Xavier. Seeing how he is not linked to Xavier's mind like the other students or people Xavier knows personally, I doubt that a stranger could roll up on him and start poking at his mind like that. I think Xavier was startled. That said, Bob also implanted his memories in that one author (Paul Jenkins, I believe), so it seems like Sentry has a good deal of mental abilities. He also holds his form together with his mind powers but yeah, I think he has used basic telepathy before. I think his calming effect on the Hulk is also linked to his telepathy. There's also the fact that part of the reason why everyone forgot who he was was due to his own mental power being used by another. If his powers evolved, I'd think he would gain more power or control as opposed to simply losing said power. This should have been a walk in the park for him, something that nagged at me as to why he never read Osborn's mind either.
Yeah he's always been said to have immense psionic power, and like you said mainly to hold his physical form together, but he's never truly read anyone's mind as far as I've seen. That Xavier incident seems more like just making contact with a powerful telepath than actually reading his mind. Either he's not skilled enough or his mental power is just too chaotic. He's never been a true telepath that went around reading minds like Xavier or Martian Manhunter so I wouldn't expect him to. There's also the fact that his powers have changed a bit since his initial appearances. Kinda like how Superman has gained or lost dozens of powers throughout the years.

88Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I recall Sentry floating near the X-mansion and talking to Xavier. He initiated the mental conversation with Xavier. Seeing how he is not linked to Xavier's mind like the other students or people Xavier knows personally, I doubt that a stranger could roll up on him and start poking at his mind like that. I think Xavier was startled. That said, Bob also implanted his memories in that one author (Paul Jenkins, I believe), so it seems like Sentry has a good deal of mental abilities. He also holds his form together with his mind powers but yeah, I think he has used basic telepathy before. I think his calming effect on the Hulk is also linked to his telepathy. There's also the fact that part of the reason why everyone forgot who he was was due to his own mental power being used by another. If his powers evolved, I'd think he would gain more power or control as opposed to simply losing said power. This should have been a walk in the park for him, something that nagged at me as to why he never read Osborn's mind either.
Yeah he's always been said to have immense psionic power, and like you said mainly to hold his physical form together, but he's never truly read anyone's mind as far as I've seen. That Xavier incident seems more like just making contact with a powerful telepath than actually reading his mind. Either he's not skilled enough or his mental power is just too chaotic. He's never been a true telepath that went around reading minds like Xavier or Martian Manhunter so I'm not sure why you would expect him to. There's also the fact that his powers have changed a bit since his initial appearances. Kinda like how Superman has gained or lost dozens of powers throughout the years.

It doesn't surprise me that he does not use half the powers he was established as having and are indicated in any authoritive source: Bendis has been writing him and Bendis shits all over continuity. Sentry can shoot blasts of energy from his hands. Are you going to say that he can't anymore because Bendis never wrote him as doing so? Sentry has heightened senses, but Bendis never wrote him as so, are you going to say that he can't all of a sudden? It seems like we're excusing bad writing here, so I can't say that excuse flies. Sentry made mental contact with a high level telepath whilst he was in the middle of something. He stuck his memories in someone else's mind. I think he should be able to muster simple check of his mind, or even pull a Superman and use his heightened senses to see if he's lying. This is one of the things that drives me crazy about Bendis mostly because I ask myself these questions each time I read something by him, even the good stuff. I walk away from the story thinking "well, that didn't make much sense". Thank goodness for downloads.

And a mjority of Superman's powers are due to Pre-crisis vs. post-crisis issues. Post-crisis Superman is limited by his own restraint, emotional state, or the circumstances of the story, which has been established. Bendis is being a douchenozzle when it comes to continuity (again). I normally don't rage about things like this but this little fact keeps smacking me in the face like elephant testicles, so it's hard to ignore.

89Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Yeah he's always been said to have immense psionic power, and like you said mainly to hold his physical form together, but he's never truly read anyone's mind as far as I've seen. That Xavier incident seems more like just making contact with a powerful telepath than actually reading his mind. Either he's not skilled enough or his mental power is just too chaotic. He's never been a true telepath that went around reading minds like Xavier or Martian Manhunter so I'm not sure why you would expect him to. There's also the fact that his powers have changed a bit since his initial appearances. Kinda like how Superman has gained or lost dozens of powers throughout the years.

It doesn't surprise me that he does not use half the powers he was established as having and are indicated in any authoritive source: Bendis has been writing him and Bendis shits all over continuity. Sentry can shoot blasts of energy from his hands. Are you going to say that he can't anymore because Bendis never wrote him as doing so? Sentry has heightened senses, but Bendis never wrote him as so, are you going to say that he can't all of a sudden? It seems like we're excusing bad writing here, so I can't say that excuse flies. Sentry made mental contact with a high level telepath whilst he was in the middle of something. He stuck his memories in someone else's mind. I think he should be able to muster simple check of his mind, or even pull a Superman and use his heightened senses to see if he's lying. This is one of the things that drives me crazy about Bendis mostly because I ask myself these questions each time I read something by him, even the good stuff. I walk away from the story thinking "well, that didn't make much sense". Thank goodness for downloads.

And a mjority of Superman's powers are due to Pre-crisis vs. post-crisis issues. Post-crisis Superman is limited by his own restraint, emotional state, or the circumstances of the story, which has been established. Bendis is being a douchenozzle when it comes to continuity (again). I normally don't rage about things like this but this little fact keeps smacking me in the face like elephant testicles, so it's hard to ignore.
I think its BS to get on Bendis for not using all of Sentry's powers every chance he gets. I think Bendis actually has had Sentry blast through his hands and use super hearing recently, but just because he's not doing it every panel doesn't mean Bendis doesn't care about continuity. No immensely powerful character I've ever seen uses his powers to their full potential in every day comics: Thor, Superman, Silver Surfer, Gladiator, Green Lantern. Hell, Green Lantern supposedly has the most powerful weapon in the Universe that can make anything his mind can think of, yet he's out there making giant hammers and boxing gloves in fights. That doesn't make Johns a bad writer because he doesn't use GL's powers to their full abilities, its just that some characters can be so powerful that the writer can't possibly use their full abilities if they want to tell a story. Superman and Thor have tons of proven abilities that they never use, they're just flying bricks most of the time. I don't see how Bendis did anything different with Sentry, and like I said he's never been a true telepath so I wouldn't expect him to act like one.

90Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

I think its BS to get on Bendis for not using all of Sentry's powers every chance he gets. I think Bendis actually has had Sentry blast through his hands and use super hearing recently, but just because he's not doing it every panel doesn't mean Bendis doesn't care about continuity. No immensely powerful character I've ever seen uses his powers to their full potential in every day comics: Thor, Superman, Silver Surfer, Gladiator, Green Lantern. Hell, Green Lantern supposedly has the most powerful weapon in the Universe that can make anything his mind can think of, yet he's out there making giant hammers and boxing gloves in fights. That doesn't make Johns a bad writer because he doesn't use GL's powers to their full abilities, its just that some characters can be so powerful that the writer can't possibly use their full abilities if they want to tell a story. Superman and Thor have tons of proven abilities that they never use, they're just flying bricks most of the time. I don't see how Bendis did anything different with Sentry, and like I said he's never been a true telepath so I wouldn't expect him to act like one.

I'm not expecting Sentry to use all the powers he has. I never said that. He should use powers that are applicable to the given situation. Sentry has mindpowers and has used them like a basic telepath. There is proof of this. And now people are acting it does not exist? Mother-fucking bollocks.

And as for Green Lanterns, they are limited by the willpower, concentration, and power level. Various thing that they do with their rings takes up various amounts of power. That is why they don't do half the things people think they can do to begin with. This is mentioned and established not onl in the comics but in other books and guides, so bad example. As for Thor and Superman, guess what? That's crappy writing. Simple as that. It's not a DC or Marvel thing. I can understand not utilzing every power but use powers when the time calls for it. It's like having Superman run towards a building with someone falling when he can fly and has no reason not to. It does not make sense. Sentry has telepathy and has used it before. Hell, tempted to roll out the scans since I'm more than certain he has done this on more people besides Xavier and Paul Jenkins.

91Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

I'm not expecting Sentry to use all the powers he has. I never said that. He should use powers that are applicable to the given situation. Sentry has mindpowers and has used them like a basic telepath. There is proof of this. And now people are acting it does not exist? Mother-fucking bollocks.

And as for Green Lanterns, they are limited by the willpower, concentration, and power level. Various thing that they do with their rings takes up various amounts of power. That is why they don't do half the things people think they can do to begin with. This is mentioned and established not onl in the comics but in other books and guides, so bad example. As for Thor and Superman, guess what? That's crappy writing. Simple as that. It's not a DC or Marvel thing. I can understand not utilzing every power but use powers when the time calls for it. It's like having Superman run towards a building with someone falling when he can fly and has no reason not to. It does not make sense. Sentry has telepathy and has used it before. Hell, tempted to roll out the scans since I'm more than certain he has done this on more people besides Xavier and Paul Jenkins.
Green Lanterns are not a bad example, they're capable of a lot more but usually just end up making grade school constructs, usually when they could do something a lot better to end a fight. Another example would be the recent fight between BL Spectre and Parallax. These two immensely powerful cosmic entities were just fighting physically like a couple of bricks when they could be doing all kinds of cosmic mumbo jumbo. And like you said, same thing goes for Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, etc. I don't think things like that are crappy writing because they happen all the time in comics. With ridiculously powerful characters that could deus ex machina at any second, I accept that writers have to somewhat ignore some abilities for the sake of the story.

And its not like Sentry is the most rational person on the planet, put his wife "killing herself" on top of that and I'd imagine he wouldn't be thinking straight. Plus he has psionic powers but he's never been a true telepath, he didn't even know his true powers until recently. The guy is severely mentally unstable at this point and is basically just doing what he's told because he doesn't know what else to do with himself.

92Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Green Lanterns are not a bad example, they're capable of a lot more but usually just end up making grade school constructs, usually when they could do something a lot better to end a fight.

Most of their better stuff would call for increased usuage of energy. This has been established in continuity before. GL's are trained to make constructs that are hollow and thus, not have all the working parts. This is why John Stewart is chastised and made fun of for his filled contructs. Focusing on making individual parts is hard and complex. While they can make a complex machine construct that is hollow, this also requires alot of concentration and energy expenditure. Again, there are alot of rules involving the GL that have been established. I'm surprised how well they keep to them.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Another example would be the recent fight between BL Spectre and Parallax. These two immensely powerful cosmic entities were just fighting physically like a couple of bricks when they could be doing all kinds of cosmic mumbo jumbo. And like you said, same thing goes for Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, etc. I don't think things like that are crappy writing because they happen all the time in comics.

"He does it, so why can't I?" That's what I'm hearing. That does not excuse the crap Bendis pulls. Silver Surfer? You know I comment on how poorly he's written all the time. Thor? The same. Superman? Derek can tell you how much I whine about his stuff "not making any sense". It's still crappy writing. Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it any better. You don't think they are crappy writing because it happens so often you don't notice it.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
With ridiculously powerful characters that could deus ex machina at any second, I accept that writers have to somewhat ignore some abilities for the sake of the story.

And that's bad writing. I might as well forget a person with normal vision can see to make my story work. Maybe forget Punisher can walk so I can let someone get away. No, none of that makes sense. I might as well write a story about Superman and forget he has super-hearing. Story-telling doesn't work that way. That's what seperates a good writer from the drunk at the dark corner in the tavern spinning tales. A good writer either works with what he has or puts stated limitations on the character (GL and their power level). It can be done. It has been done.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
And its not like Sentry is the most rational person on the planet, put his wife "killing herself" on top of that and I'd imagine he wouldn't be thinking straight. Plus he has psionic powers but he's never been a true telepath, he didn't even know his true powers until recently. The guy is severely mentally unstable at this point and is basically just doing what he's told because he doesn't know what else to do with himself.

He's used them as a telepath before. Being unstable doesn't change that because, despite being distraught, he was in the right mind at the moment.

93Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Avengers #15

Meh. It was just a so so issue. I didn't hate it, but it was kinda lackluster. Not much happened.

94Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Most of their better stuff would call for increased usuage of energy. This has been established in continuity before. GL's are trained to make constructs that are hollow and thus, not have all the working parts. This is why John Stewart is chastised and made fun of for his filled contructs. Focusing on making individual parts is hard and complex. While they can make a complex machine construct that is hollow, this also requires alot of concentration and energy expenditure. Again, there are alot of rules involving the GL that have been established. I'm surprised how well they keep to them.
I dunno there's usually much better ways for GLs to go about things even with power restrictions but they often don't. Another example would be why Sinestro Corps members don't just form a bubble construct inside people heads any chance they get. GLs may have a problem with doing that (like Sue Storm) but I'm sure a Sinestro Corps member wouldn't. It doesn't happen because its just not great storytelling, and I don't have a problem with that.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:"He does it, so why can't I?" That's what I'm hearing. That does not excuse the crap Bendis pulls. Silver Surfer? You know I comment on how poorly he's written all the time. Thor? The same. Superman? Derek can tell you how much I whine about his stuff "not making any sense". It's still crappy writing. Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it any better. You don't think they are crappy writing because it happens so often you don't notice it.
Well what I'm saying is, its literally been a part of the comics industry since as far back as I can remember so I don't see it as a problem in general. There are a lot of practical solutions these superheroes can do with their power sets but sometimes that has to be sacrificed for the sake of the story. I guess I just have less of a problem with it than you, which is cool buddy.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:He's used them as a telepath before. Being unstable doesn't change that because, despite being distraught, he was in the right mind at the moment.
I don't think he's ever used them as a traditional telepath to scan people's minds for information. I guess we just disagree on whether he should have been able to do that or not.

95Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Most of their better stuff would call for increased usuage of energy. This has been established in continuity before. GL's are trained to make constructs that are hollow and thus, not have all the working parts. This is why John Stewart is chastised and made fun of for his filled contructs. Focusing on making individual parts is hard and complex. While they can make a complex machine construct that is hollow, this also requires alot of concentration and energy expenditure. Again, there are alot of rules involving the GL that have been established. I'm surprised how well they keep to them.
I dunno there's usually much better ways for GLs to go about things even with power restrictions but they often don't. Another example would be why Sinestro Corps members don't just form a bubble construct inside people heads any chance they get. GLs may have a problem with doing that (like Sue Storm) but I'm sure a Sinestro Corps member wouldn't. It doesn't happen because its just not great storytelling, and I don't have a problem with that.

I don't think any lantern can do that. I don't recall one ever forming a construct like that. I don't think that can be done. Lanterns that can see are often limited by their sight, thus if you make one go blind, his constructs suffer. If he can't see the area or region he's affecting, then he can't really do anything to that area. Hence why when Kyle went blind, he couldn't use his ring properly. The blind lantern uses sound but if you take that away from him, he'll probably be screwed. Not being able to see the exact region (the insides) is the limiting factor for the lanterns. Very nice example though. That made me give pause and I was racking my brains to recall an instance of such. Dark Avengers - Page 4 29517
Agree to disagree on other points then. Dark Avengers - Page 4 988476

96Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:

I don't think any lantern can do that. I don't recall one ever forming a construct like that. I don't think that can be done. Lanterns that can see are often limited by their sight, thus if you make one go blind, his constructs suffer. If he can't see the area or region he's affecting, then he can't really do anything to that area. Hence why when Kyle went blind, he couldn't use his ring properly. The blind lantern uses sound but if you take that away from him, he'll probably be screwed. Not being able to see the exact region (the insides) is the limiting factor for the lanterns. Very nice example though. That made me give pause and I was racking my brains to recall an instance of such. Dark Avengers - Page 4 29517
Fair enough brutha.

Hey besides that stuff you had a problem with, what are your thoughts on what Bendis has done with Sentry in Dark Avengers and such? Personally, I think Bendis has done a great job with making Sentry a genuinely creepy/scary/unpredictable character recently. I don't think Sentry has been more interesting than he is right now.

97Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Fair enough brutha.

Hey besides that stuff you had a problem with, what are your thoughts on what Bendis has done with Sentry in Dark Avengers and such? Personally, I think Bendis has done a great job with making Sentry a genuinely creepy/scary/unpredictable character recently. I don't think Sentry has been more interesting than he is right now.

I think he's done a pretty decent job. I like the building up of Sentry into this monster/ultimate badass. I'm hoping, however, that he pays for the things he has done (like killing the Atlanteans---that scene when he shows up on them and attacks them whle they were minding their own business has stuck with me for some reason).
I think, more than anything, is that I don't have that much faith in Bendis. He's done wonderful work on street level characters but on the Avenger titles and big events, as far as plot points are concerned, he tends to blow things at the end. And sometimes the premises don't make sense, but I usually blame Joe Q for trying to force an idea too quickly. I think if little asides were made to explain things here or there, I would not be bothered. I think one of the issues also is that I've been reading many things beyond the big two, especially manga and such, and there is such a great attention to detail and everything flows so well and is so airtitght, it's hard to see anything not making sense. I do find myself subconsciouly comparing the two and getting irrate over the lack of attention put towards small things in the story that mangas do. Dark Avengers - Page 4 458345

98Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Another example would be the recent fight between BL Spectre and Parallax. These two immensely powerful cosmic entities were just fighting physically like a couple of bricks when they could be doing all kinds of cosmic mumbo jumbo. And like you said, same thing goes for Superman, Thor, Silver Surfer, etc. I don't think things like that are crappy writing because they happen all the time in comics.

"He does it, so why can't I?" That's what I'm hearing. That does not excuse the crap Bendis pulls. Silver Surfer? You know I comment on how poorly he's written all the time. Thor? The same. Superman? Derek can tell you how much I whine about his stuff "not making any sense". It's still crappy writing. Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it any better. You don't think they are crappy writing because it happens so often you don't notice it.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
With ridiculously powerful characters that could deus ex machina at any second, I accept that writers have to somewhat ignore some abilities for the sake of the story.

And that's bad writing. I might as well forget a person with normal vision can see to make my story work. Maybe forget Punisher can walk so I can let someone get away. No, none of that makes sense. I might as well write a story about Superman and forget he has super-hearing. Story-telling doesn't work that way. That's what seperates a good writer from the drunk at the dark corner in the tavern spinning tales. A good writer either works with what he has or puts stated limitations on the character (GL and their power level). It can be done. It has been done.

I can't agree more with Wade. This is why I HATE Superman. There's no logical reason for him ever to be beaten by anything.

99Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Fair enough brutha.

I think he's done a pretty decent job. I like the building up of Sentry into this monster/ultimate badass. I'm hoping, however, that he pays for the things he has done (like killing the Atlanteans---that scene when he shows up on them and attacks them whle they were minding their own business has stuck with me for some reason).
I think, more than anything, is that I don't have that much faith in Bendis. He's done wonderful work on street level characters but on the Avenger titles and big events, as far as plot points are concerned, he tends to blow things at the end. And sometimes the premises don't make sense, but I usually blame Joe Q for trying to force an idea too quickly. I think if little asides were made to explain things here or there, I would not be bothered. I think one of the issues also is that I've been reading many things beyond the big two, especially manga and such, and there is such a great attention to detail and everything flows so well and is so airtitght, it's hard to see anything not making sense. I do find myself subconsciouly comparing the two and getting irrate over the lack of attention put towards small things in the story that mangas do. Dark Avengers - Page 4 458345
I hear ya. I don't read manga so I could be wrong, but maybe it has to do with comics universes like the MU and DCU having such long complicated continuities and because they are large shared universes. I don't know if manga has the same sort of limitations on storytelling.

I totally agree about what Sentry did to the Atlantians, something about that was just so wrong. I have a feeling Siege might be the end for the character. Or what I hope and what I think would be more interesting is if he's fully purged of the Void and actually gets to be the true hero he's wanted to be. I'm interested to see what Sentry's endgame will be in all this.

100Dark Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark Avengers Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well there isn't really a point in me reviewing this particular issue, I think you guys have hit all the nails head on. However, I do want to comment on Bendis' writing chops.

I think he has done a tremendous job to flesh out Sentry(Beyonder) and has done a satisfactory job with the Dark Reign and Seige. I think it is difficult to write a character that is so powerful. You see DnA doing a great job with it out in space with Gladiator, and I think Bendis has done more for Bob Reynolds than any other writer has. There are so many small details that I think people miss that don't prescribe to the Sentry is the Beyonder theory.... so here are a couple interesting tidbits regarding that theory that seem to make little things make sense.

1. The entire coming back from the dead 4 times thing. It takes people of imense power to do that, and there aren't many in the Universe who could.

2. Sentry's interaction with Molecule Man. They both would have vertually no affect on one another because they are both segments of the same cosmic cube...well if Sentry is the Beyonder.

3. Bob's wife probably isn't dead. He will finder her because of the ring. I believe that bendis showed a close up of the wedding ring a couple of issues back because it means something. With my Beyonder theory I think that the ring may be the small part of the cosmic cube that chipped off forever ago.

I have many, more things, but like I've said before: If you go back and reread everything the Sentry or Beyonder has been in over the last 7 years having in mind that Bob Reynolds is the Beyonder's new attempt at studying humanity and being a hero, so much more makes sense.

Even if I am wrong, the ride and the story has been outstanding, and if this is a new entity all together I won't be upset. A little disappointed, but not upset. I think the last 7 years of Marvel under the writers we have had bring us these characters and story's couldn't have improved upon much. Even though it may appear that Bendis ignored something like Sentry's psi powers, I doubt it. He could have wanted to accept Hawkeye's lie on some other level that we aren't seeing. Maybe it wasn't Norman that was holding the Void in... Maybe it was the presense of Bob's wife that kept that in check. Since Sentry is all Voided out, that intity may want things to go this way.

I think all in all, MPD Superman times infinity has equaled one of the most interesting characters in comics in a long time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum