Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

X-Men: Second Coming

+21
G_Zatara
TheBrownLantern
elijahdprophet
Jango Fett
Ric Magnum
comicgeekelly
LOOSECANNON
LordD3r3k
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Kearstin
DickGrayson007
blue halo
Mnemosis
shiky800
Fresh03
shark6495
Batman25JM
hrdwrkngXsoldier
prescribeddrone
Nymn
Bigtymin504
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 13]

76X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:42 am

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

Mnemosis wrote:Same thing with Cyclops and his optic blasts. I don't ask where they come from or how they don't obliterate his skull. What I ask is why, when a battering ram is fired from a 6 foot 180 lb man into the Juggernaut, the man himself isn't hurled backwards while the Juggernaut remains unmoved?

You guys take away the fun in reading comics when you try to discern the science and physics of these powers. More thinking=less fun Laughing

77X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Second Coming: Chapter 2 (Uncanny X-Men #523)

Another really good issue in this story. We start off with Hope and Cable doing some "shopping" lol. I like how Hope was so awe struck at all the bath products, just goes to show how deprived this poor girl has been ever since she was born. Her whole life has been about survival on the run and learning to be a soldier from Cable. She couldn't wait to get back and meet the X-Men and live a normal life, too bad that won't happen just yet. Then I loved that the cat is out of the bag with X-Force, and Kurt is pissed. You can tell Scott is like, "damn not now" lol. Looks like Scott's X-soldiers will stay in line during this war, but there will definitely be big fallout later on.

I also really like how we're seeing Scott and Bastion both enacting their plans for Hope's return. All of their pieces have been in place so far, I think it will come down to who makes a mistake first. Scott's use of Cypher and the New Mutants was great, we'll see what they've got in store for Cameron Hodge's weapons facility next week...

78X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Jango Fett

Jango Fett
Cadet
Cadet

Bigtymin504 wrote:Second Coming: Chapter 2 (Uncanny X-Men #523)

Another really good issue in this story. We start off with Hope and Cable doing some "shopping" lol. I like how Hope was so awe struck at all the bath products, just goes to show how deprived this poor girl has been ever since she was born. Her whole life has been about survival on the run and learning to be a soldier from Cable. She couldn't wait to get back and meet the X-Men and live a normal life, too bad that won't happen just yet. Then I loved that the cat is out of the bag with X-Force, and Kurt is pissed. You can tell Scott is like, "damn not now" lol. Looks like Scott's X-soldiers will stay in line during this war, but there will definitely be big fallout later on.

I also really like how we're seeing Scott and Bastion both enacting their plans for Hope's return. All of their pieces have been in place so far, I think it will come down to who makes a mistake first. Scott's use of Cypher and the New Mutants was great, we'll see what they've got in store for Cameron Hodge's weapons facility next week...

Yeah, I really enjoyed this issue. Dodson's art was fantastic and the writing was better than it has been recently.

79X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=21672

80X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Uncanny X-Men #523: Second Coming Chapter 2

I liked this. I don't think it was quite as good as last week's issue, but I did enjoy it. This was probably my favorite Fraction issue to date.

The art was great. Dodson did a fantastic job. I LOVED his Wolverine, Hope, and Nightcrawler.

81X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have to say that I haven't been this excited about the X-Men since Messiah CompleX. I just LOVED that X-over. I'm really enjoying Second Coming so far, and I hope it ends up being as enjoyable as MC. I also hope that coming out of Second Coming the books keep up the quality. As awesome as I thought MC was, all the books seemed to drop in quality pretty shortly (if not immediately) after. The only one that didn't was X-Force (and unlike most I didn't LOVE the book).

82X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Uncanny X-Men #523

Like many of you said, this was another enjoyable chapter of Second Coming. It continues all the threads seemlessly, providing needed characterization for the 2 primary characters not ALL X-Men freaks may be familiar with; for instance, I only bought Cable during Messiah War, so it was great to see Hope's personality blossom as much as she did. The art from the Dodson's was, to no surprise, outstanding. I just loved Wolverine here. Yes, there weren't many major moments in this issue, but perhaps best of all was the heat put forth from the villains. Bastion gets more dastardly by the minute--his humbleness and respect for the X-Men's capabilities made his "speech" purer than most. So, although Chapter 2 was more or less on-par with the above-adequate opener, consider myself excited for the rest of the 3-month event.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - More set-up and character than boom-boom, but still very, very strong.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

83X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Mutants #12 (Second Coming: Chapter 3)

The momentum continued in this issue with the New Mutants carrying out their attack on Hodge's facility. I like their teamwork and the way Cyke is using them is perfect. But I also like how the bad guys are being shown to have a plan too. The Purifiers took out the "White Devil" and set their sites on the "Blue Devil". It's smart for them to try and take out the teleporters first. Then Warren busted out the Archangel, sending another surprise to all the non-X-Force folks. Great stuff again from this crossover.

84X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:39 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

New Mutants #12 & X-Men Legacy #235

As someone who hasn't read New Mutants since the mid-80s (or in trade format years after), NM #12 came off as a bit of a surprise. The cooperation and conferencing between Fraction, Kyle, Yost, Wells and Carey must be phenomenal. Although continuing right along from the last page of last week's Uncanny X-Men, NM #12 is a bit of a throwback with Cameron Hodge reverting to a much more horrifying version of himself against Cannonball's crew.

For those unfamiliar with Hodge's so-called legacy, the battle between New Mutants and the commander of the Right prospired in a few events: Mutant Massacre and X-Tinction Agenda. Nanny, Orphan Maker and Phalanx should all be recognizable terms for old X-Men drones like myself. I'm unsure whether this form Hodge reverts to in this issue is indeed the Warlock-inspired Phalanx, or if its the cyborg head from the demonic N'astirh. The latter is more the likely.

Next week's X-Men Legacy continues right along the thread of war between Hodge's Smiley Right troopers and the New Mutants, where Karma appears to suffer a severe wound. For those wondering why the Alpha team took such precedence over the NM this week, you'll be pleased to see more Warlock and gang finish what they started in 7 more days.

Another important thread in the issue spins off Legacy's character study issue from last month--complete with Rogue's convoluted mind storms--as Cyke now throws her into the spotlight. The "hope" now is an impending connection between Rogue and Cable's little girl, considering Hope brought the southern belle back from a coma at the end of Messiah CompleX.

I'm also happy to report that X-Men Legacy #235 is Greg Land's best work yet. His panel-placement is actually impressive, as the diagonal style works well with the dangerousness of the battle. The panels take a foreground to background approach, leading to some rather impressive pictures. The silouette of Cannonball and Shan just hangling from Hodge's cybernetic form is downright haunting.

Of course not all is wonderful in Greg "Wonder" Land. For only reasons beknownest to Land, X-23 and Psychlocke have the SAME face on the SAME page. Really, now. I could've swore Laura was an angst-ridden caucasian teen and Betsy was half-Asian half-hottie. Also, considering the tactics used by X-Force, I can't imagine Kurt smiling at anything right about now; or Hope gaining 10-years in age (that could just be her new makeup kit). Regardless of some of his usual foolishness, Land's frantic action sequences are top-notch and Carey's most explosion-driven writing yet keeps the high-octane pacing at a blistering speed.

Before giving scores, I must say this without spoiling: Legacy contains some of the most shocking moments in Second Coming yet (some subtle hints: Cerebra, Warlock and something so tricked out, it'll make Weapon XI jealous). The overall pacing of the series has been excellent, and even if it seems like the event's reverting to exposition-hefty moments over story, there's no better time than now. It's awfully difficult to claim so with an event this enormous. While each individual issue has been enjoyable to some degree thus far, as an event, the overall feel is even better.

Can't wait for the death reveal in 2 weeks with X-Force #26.

New Mutants #12: 4/5 Bastion's and X-Men Legacy #235: 3.5/5 Hodge's

85X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:40 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I concede. here is new mutants review

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:New Mutants #12
Second Coming Chapter 3

Zeb Wells has crafted one of the better installments so far of the Second Coming event, and the Art by Ibraim Roberson is excellent. Marvel’s X-editors can be proud of their product thus far especially with this book on the shelf.

The action pretty much picks up right where chapter 2 left off. This is where we get to see the role of Cyclops’ beta team, the New Mutants. There is equally as much action going on at the hotel where the Alpha Team, Cable, and Hope are.

Bastion and his human cabal have definitely done their homework this time. We find out that they are going into battle prepared. The X-Men have even been given target code-names by the opposition. They quickly neutralize ‘White Devil’ (Magik) and ‘Blue Devil’ (Nightcrawler) to shut down their teleporting capabilities.
Still the team gives enough of a window for Hope and Cable to make their get away, while Cable tries to figure out how they are being tracked so quickly. He even goes as far as to assume that there is an informant within the X-Men. How far will Cable take it when he finds out he and his TO virus are the marker?

The Purifires have backup on the way as Cameron Hodge begins to prepare a battalion of Orphan Makers to go in for the kill. The Beta team is there to intercept, Cannonball plays good soldier and follows orders from Cyclops to engage. Then Hodge does a cranial transplant onto a new mech body to shift the flow of battle.

There are also some other dark things going on with Archangel which former love-interest Betsy Bradock gets to witness. Back in San Francisco Rogue and Danger are seen guarding the prisoners including a smiley faced Donald Pierce. This doesn’t give much clue as to what happened there during Necrosha, which was a quasi-dangling plot that seems to be overlooked, and then we get to see something odd from Rogue when she channels the thoughts of Hope briefly.

This event is shaping up nicely and this was a strong issue both for story possibilities and art.

4.5 out of 5 Superb Cliff-hangers. (Seriously, it sucks the reader in and hooks them with 5 different little sub-plots that are going on.)

86X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^thumbs up

How did you read X-Men Legacy #235, LOOSECANNON??

87X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:52 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Shhhhh.... Twisted Evil

And X-Soldier, yes, I just read your review in the NM thread. Good going! I love the fact you incorporate your knowledge of past X-ventures into your reviews.

88X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:52 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If that was reading from chapter 4 though. This gives good reason for my argument about having seperate threads for each book. or at least the use of spoiler tags if necessary. Thanks for not spoiling Loose.

89X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I didn't really spoil anything (if you're being sarcastic)...

if you're being serious, you're welcome.

90X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Shhhhh.... Twisted Evil

And X-Soldier, yes, I just read your review in the NM thread. Good going! I love the fact you incorporate your knowledge of past X-ventures into your reviews.

Yeah, you kind of have to when they leave stuff dangling like that. I want to know what the F happened when Selene's TO Zombies went after Pierce and Shaw. I like to call Bullshit! on never finding out. i hope that they address it.

91X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:55 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:I didn't really spoil anything (if you're being sarcastic)...

if you're being serious, you're welcome.

No sarcasm there. I was greatful that I didn't have to hunt you down and chop off your typing fingers.

92X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:I want to know what the F happened when Selene's TO Zombies went after Pierce and Shaw.

Something fishy was going on with them in NM #12...

93X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:08 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Mutants 12:

This was pretty good. I loved the art and the action was wonderful. I can see Colossus going over the deep end now and one of X-Force's big secret is out. In short, this event has given me Hope for X-men crossovers.

94X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Mutants #12: Second Coming Chapter 3

I quite enjoyed this. This X-over has been pretty good so far.

I just LOVE the fact that Cyclops is acting like a general. That's exactly how he should be acting.

95X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:New Mutants 12:

This was pretty good. I loved the art and the action was wonderful. I can see Colossus going over the deep end now and one of X-Force's big secret is out. In short, this event has given me Hope for X-men crossovers.

I see what you did there. Smile

96X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:New Mutants 12:

I see what you did there. Smile
Wink Laughing

97X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men Legacy #235 (Second Coming: Chapter 4)

I love that things aren't moving at a snail's pace in this thing, which is very impressive considering it's a 14 chapter story. The New Mutants take care of business with Hodge...courtesy of Warlock. Also, Scott and Logan are both really stepping up here. I have a feeling we'll see Scott hit the actual field in a big way very soon too. And I'm a Rogue fanboy so I loved everything with her in this issue, especially the badass panel of her with all the Alpha team's powers! Now Hope is in Rogue and her brother Kurt's hands...

Oh and great to see Greg Land put in some very good art this issue, the panels weren't filled with awkward poses and faces. He did great on the Rogue reveal (of course his women are always aesthetically pleasing Laughing) but also the car explosion with Logan and Laura getting burnt up bad...sucks about Ariel though Sad

98X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men Legacy #235 (Second Coming: Chapter 4)

I'm not happy that Ariel died. I don't understand why he sent a teleporter with limited battle experience, limited field exposure, and limited training. The only thing I can think of was that he wanted to save himself a good teleporter for later, though it is more likely that it was not a plot decision based on common sense but rather Marvel or Fraction having a hard-on for Pixie, seeing as how they sexed her up and have been pushing her like crazy since (and some ways before) X-men 500. In any case, this issue was decent, but as usual, Land's art ruins it for me.

99X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men Legacy #235
Second Coming: Chapter 4

Usually the first thing I complain about when I pick up any book that has the name Greg Land associated with it is the quality of the art. This may be a first for me, but I’m going to actually say he clearly produced above his average output this issue. Yes all the ladies faces looked about the same and there were maybe 4 panels that looked like they could have been traced from this months Penthouse. This time though there was actually some quality work. His depictions of Warlock were completely awesome, especially the scene were he goes Murder Death Kill.

There must be an incredible amount of editorial control or collaboration by the writers because again we get a quality story. Mike Carey picks up the keys to this thing and just runs with it. There are plenty of moments that make your jaw drop and just as many that leave you wanting more of this epic X-Event.

The story opens with the New Mutants (I still want to call them X-Force sometimes on accident,) continuing their battle with the Orphan Makers and their overlord the twisted and reanimated Cameron Hodge. Even though at the end of the last book it looked like Hodge merely skewered Karma’s leg, it looks like she is now an amputee. Watching this battle Doug convinces Warlock that in a time of war it is kill or be killed, and prompted by this our favorite techno organic life-form gets serious quickly. Making short work of the enemies and rapidly turning the tide of battle. This part of the book alone is worth the cover price, but there is still more.

The lingering plot thread concerning Rogue and her connection to Hope is picked up from last week and it is concluded that it has something to do with Hope healing her before she took her trip through time. Cyclops decides to use this connection in his favor though and sends Rogue to the Alpha team to guide them to Hope and Cable. Tracking is going well and there is open communication between Utopia and the teams when there is a large amount of psychic feedback, resulting in the failing of Cerebra, and now the X-Men are flying blind with only their ground intelligence to guide them. This was another part of Bastions plan to cripple them and shows how much homework is done, but it is revealed that Bastion has his own Cerebra type machine which gives him another advantage paired with his connection to Cable’s TO virus.

The Alpha team receives their intel and know find out how Cabal and hope are being tracked. They get a fix on their location and move in to provide an assist to the time jumping pair before they can be ambushed yet again. Cable doesn’t tell Hope about the tracking on panel but she is assigned new escorts, Nightcrawler and Rogue. Their goal is to get to Utopia while Cable and the Alpha team play decoy and run interference hoping to slow down Bastion and his Human Cabal.

This issue was gripping, there were casualties on both sides and it has made progress quickly. I don’t know how people don’t spoil this story immediately after reading it. I just have a feeling everybody waiting for the trade is going to know all the twists by Saturday every week. If you haven’t been an X-fan for some time, this story is as good as some of the classics you remember.

4.5 out of 5 Barrowed Powers

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:X-Factor #204
Second Coming Revelations: Part 1

Peter David grabs your attention from the very first panel. Anybody that didn’t read what he had to say about X-Factor at the C2E2 panel probably just gasped or let out an “oh @#%#!” I still don’t care much for De Landro’s character art on this book, the action scenes were done well and each environment definitely presented a different pallet of colors for Davidson’s inks. The contrasts were welcome, especially when the all important red beam of death (laser sights) settled in on a target.

David is a master craftsman and there isn’t a single point in this book that you aren’t eager to read more. We get to see the inner workings of how Bastion’s strategizing, and get to see exactly how much control he has over the members of his ‘Human Cabal.’

Notice immediately this book isn’t part of the main story exactly, so don’t expect it to follow in sequence like the previous Second Coming Chapters. Revelations is another animal all together and that animal is an Awesome- osaurus Rex.

This is just the introduction to how Bastion is going to deal with X-Factor Investigations in his movement to blot the X-factor gene from existence. But don’t forget the team is spread out right now and we still have Monet and Strong Guy in South America dealing with Baron Mordo. They take a job from the Absorbing Man, Bastion discusses the nature of Madrox’s mutation and much more.

Anybody who is a fan of this book already knows how insanely good David’s writing is. There is no appearance by Layla Miller, buy you have to know she will come into play, this is X-Factor after all. If your not up to date, pick up the trades, borrow them from a friend, this is consistently one of the best books on the racks.

4.5 out of 5 Sniper Shots LANDED!!

100X-Men: Second Coming - Page 4 Empty Re: X-Men: Second Coming Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

X-Men Legacy #235:Second Coming Chapter 4

The story itself was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

I wasn't really upset about Ariel's death. I mean, it wasn't necessary or anything, and seemed a little gimmicky. Like they took a C list character and killed her just to show that people can die and the stakes are high. I didn't bug me because I know noting about Ariel. I don't think I've ever read anything else with her in it.

The thing that made lessened my enjoyment of the book was Greg Land's "art". It may not have been as bad as some of his other stuff, but it was by no means good. Honestly, if an artist's work is measure in terms of it's suckage then that artist shouldn't be getting work, at least not on interiors. If they had him do covers I wouldn't care because I wouldn't have to look at the stuff for 22 pages.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum