Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie?

+30
gangsternerd
Rath99
Thundermatts
Spider_Fan14
Toothgrinder
christianblackhart
Ric Magnum
jaydee74
Batman25JM
shiky800
DickGrayson007
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Administrator
riv1
J Nova
LordD3r3k
BlueMaxx
blue halo
shining knight
Debaser77
Esbat
Lee
krpykrwly
Metal Misfit
alucardbarnivous
Combo Mo
superdoug
rwe1138
FroZen
Joshua
34 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

When it comes down to it, which do you prefer?

Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% [ 19 ]
Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 38

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:DC for me

I could go into why, but I've been trying to avoid that trap I fell into on the WUMB Laughing

Hey amigo, welcome to PoP!

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardbarnivous wrote:Hey amigo, welcome to PoP!

Thanks!

J Nova

J Nova
Cadet
Cadet

It varies from one year to the next. I started out a DC person then ended up a Marvel.
Overtime I went back to DC, and now I'm a Marvel again.
I guess I would say I have a preference for Marvel, since I tend
to think in terms of Marvel characters where comics are concerned.

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Lately, it seems to be that I'm reading more DC titles than Marvel ones. This saddens me, as I was a die hard Marvel fan all my life.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just going by numbers, i'm more into DC, as i collect more DC titles than Marvel.
While i love Marvel, right now, DC's just putting out better books IMO.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

LordD3r3k wrote:DC for me

I could go into why, but I've been trying to avoid that trap I fell into on the WUMB Laughing
Brought the old trap all the way here. Wink

It's funny that with all the criticism Marvel gets from outside sources, there are not many current/former creators/editors/employees chiming on the work process with an insight that puts the company in a "bad" light like it happens with DC in recent years. Chuck Dixon did it last year, Mark Waid did it recently.

(And no, I don't say Marvel is necessarily better, it's just that if employees are frustrated by the publisher, they don't run to the public and whine about it.)

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's funny that with all the criticism Marvel gets from outside sources, there are not many current/former creators/editors/employees chiming on the work process with an insight that puts the company in a "bad" light like it happens with DC in recent years. Chuck Dixon did it last year, Mark Waid did it recently.

and according to lying in the gutters Dwayne mcduffie has been doing it a lot recently as far as his jla run goes

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Originally I put that in my post, but he's not really bitching or blaming DC. Just talking about his JLA work and reveals what's going in DC's editorial, which doesn't sound good...

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I tend to bounce here and there but I tend to lean towards Marvel. The rate at which things are going, I may be a solid DC.

DickGrayson007

DickGrayson007
Pirate
Pirate

I definitely have more Marvel comics in my collection than anything else but DC is more interesting to me right now out of the two(Blackest Night and Batman Reborn). I will always be a Marvel Zombie though.

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i have to say i like marvel a lot better

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

DC is barely ahead.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In terms of what characters I like it's split evenly down the middle. I like DC and Marvel's characters equally (though my favorite character is DC).

In terms of what's going on in the comics right now I have to go with Marvel. I like the direction the universe is taking. I like more Marvel books than DC right now, and I'm buying more Marvel as well. DC has some great books (Green Lantern, all the Superman books, JSA, etc), but not as many. And I hate what Grant Morrison did with Batman and FC.

In terms of movies I like Marvel more. They have more movies that I like and well, more movies in general. Though my favorite movie is a DC movie (The Dark Knight).

In terms of animation (shows and movies) DC wins. The whole DCAU is just awesome (with the possible exception of the Zeta Project and Static Shock, they were fair shows, but not the best). Batman Beyond, Batman TAS, The New Batman Adventures (sometimes known as Batman: Gotham Knights), Superman TAS, Justice League and JLU are all fantastic. The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Legion of Super Heroes are all great as well. The animated movies based off of the DCAU (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, and Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman) all rock. The DC Universe movies are also great (though I haven't seen and don't want to see Batman: Gotham Knight).

Animation wise Marvel just doesn't compare. The only 90s cartoon that I still like is X-Men. X-Men Evolution, Spider-Man Unlimited, and Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (MTV Spider-Man) are all good (IMO) but not nearly as good as the DCAU. Marvel's 2 best animated shows are the Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men. Both shows are as great as the DCAU. I'm also liking Iron Man: Armored Adventures, but it isn't quite as good as the others.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

It's hard to judge the movies and TV shows as both companies are mostly involved just by putting their logo on the product. This is the case with Marvel movies until Iron Man and DC... always. At least the connection between DC and WB gained some of their shows collaborations with comic book writers, which resulted in some of their best episodes.

Anyway, I believe most of us here judges the companies by their comic books and nothing else.

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It seems quite a few Marvel writers are involved with the new Iron Man series. They're actually using villains I forgot about. Laughing

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I am still shocked iron man has villians outside of the obvious ones

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:I am still shocked iron man has villians outside of the obvious ones

I imagine they'll avoid a few of them who're not science heavy: Fin Fang Foom, Grey Gargoyle, etc. I'm hoping to see Whirlwind, Living Laser, Titanium Man, Sunturion, Controller, Melter, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Madame Masque, Spymaster, Dreadknight, Ultimo, and Ghost.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Underage drinking?

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:It's hard to judge the movies and TV shows as both companies are mostly involved just by putting their logo on the product. This is the case with Marvel movies until Iron Man and DC... always. At least the connection between DC and WB gained some of their shows collaborations with comic book writers, which resulted in some of their best episodes.

Anyway, I believe most of us here judges the companies by their comic books and nothing else.

I judge them on movies and shows as well as comics. I do this because the companies have to okay the shows, and they have to oversee them. Also, many comic writers write for the shows. Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost (who currently write X-Force) for example, are the ones behind all the Marvel Animated movies as well as Wolverine and the X-Men. And Christopher Yost is the head of Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

I know that the companies have a hand in the movies. Like Iron Man for example, many of the comic writers worked on it.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tied!

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Batman25JM wrote:
Spidey_82 wrote:It's hard to judge the movies and TV shows as both companies are mostly involved just by putting their logo on the product. This is the case with Marvel movies until Iron Man and DC... always. At least the connection between DC and WB gained some of their shows collaborations with comic book writers, which resulted in some of their best episodes.

I judge them on movies and shows as well as comics. I do this because the companies have to okay the shows, and they have to oversee them. Also, many comic writers write for the shows. Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost (who currently write X-Force) for example, are the ones behind all the Marvel Animated movies as well as Wolverine and the X-Men. And Christopher Yost is the head of Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

I know that the companies have a hand in the movies. Like Iron Man for example, many of the comic writers worked on it.
No, they don't. Marvel only started being involved directly in its movies with Iron Man. Their cartoon shows from the last couple of years are more "company work" but still done mostly by a studio. Craig Kyle came to comics from his Marvel animated work, which continues to this day.

With Warner owning DC, the latter has no say about movies based on its characters and the evidence is the movies they've done (or not) in the last 20 years, with the current Batman franchise being the exception. Not that DC was involved in the four decades Warner owns it. The cartoons, while also not being directly connected to DC, had the privilege in last decade and a half to get the involvement of DC's writers.

An evidence to the distinction between the comics aspect and TV/films is the Blade TV show from a few years ago, a show Geoff Johns was a writer on while being an exclusive writer for DC comics.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Since this is in the 'Comics in General' forum I thought it was pretty clear that the only real quantifying factor in determining this is their respective comic book universes. Bringing in things like movies and cartoons, where the comic companies have little to no say (until very recently for Marvel), is completely irrelevant. By that logic we should also include theme park rides (which DC handily wins).

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Video games! Wardrobe! Sex toys!

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:Sex toys!
I'll allow it.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've always leaned towards DC. I do like Marvel but if I had to choose between the two, I would pick DC. I simply like their characters better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum