Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Avengers Thread

+30
TheBrownLantern
Debaser77
Heytherejeffro
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
hrdwrkngXsoldier
DickGrayson007
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
dmahoney
G_Zatara
Foreigner_Man
Mnemosis
KingJoffers
Fresh03
vikoros
Jango Fett
shiky800
The Ignored One
LOOSECANNON
Aussiemandias
Administrator
prescribeddrone
comicgeekelly
Batman25JM
Sandman
Bigtymin504
Chi-Town Spidey
Spider_Fan14
Lee
Joshua
jaydee74
34 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

301The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #3

I didn't hate it, but there was nothing about it I truly loved. It was just okay.

I have to agree with Aussiemandias, this team shouldn't interact the way it does. The stuff between Spidey and Iron Man felt weird. They shouldn't have a jokey relationship at this point. Old wounds still need to heal. I'd much prefer it if this team was shown not getting along. That they couldn't get past what had happened. And then, slowly but surely they come together. As it is, it feels forced.

Now, with that all said, I do think the jokey tone was a bit better this issue. It was still a little too much, but it wasn't as bad as last issue. Some of it was even good. I did enjoy the Spider-Man/Spider-Woman stuff. There relationship is so where they could joke with each other. Honestly, if Marvel still insists on not having Peter and MJ as a couple, I wouldn't mind if Peter and Jessica got together. I like the way they interact.

The art was a mixed bag. There are times I've loved JRJR, and times I've hated him. This was somewhere in the middle. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't overly happy with it. It just looks off. I still HATE the way Maria Hill looks. I think the art was especially hard to swallow since I read this week's issue of New Avengers immediately before I read this, and Immonen's art is absolutely gorgeous.

So, that six armed Horseman was Spidey in the future? It looked more like Anti-Venom to me.

302The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:23 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
prescribeddrone wrote:I like that news, I like the character of Red Hulk. Having him on the team should make things interesting.

It should be pretty interesting. Red Hulk has kinda grown on me over the last year, they've been characterizing him much better than his very early appearances.

Avengers #7 variant Wink

The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Avengers+7

I agree, I like how he developed. I like that's he's an "antihero" Hulk- that should be an interesting mix considering Wolverine is the basically the only antihero on the Avengers. Red Hulk is an entertaining character actually.

Should be interesting to see how they work. And yeah, that variant cover rocks.

303The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:51 am

dmahoney

dmahoney
Zombie
Zombie

I liked 3 better than 2. There were actual panels where I didn't mind JRJR's art (like Thor and the horsemen)

Question though - who was the red horseman? (The one that wasn't Scarlet Witch, Wolverine, or Spider-Man)

304The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:01 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Avengers_vs_Thunderbolts__scaled_600

305The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 pm

dmahoney

dmahoney
Zombie
Zombie

^ Fixt
The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Avenge10

306The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

People are taking this book way too seriously. I like it.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

307The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Arsenal0602

Arsenal0602
Cadet
Cadet

dmahoney wrote:^ Fixt
The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Avenge10

That really seems like a one sided fight in that picture, unless Juggernaught has gotten a power up

LOOSECANNON wrote:People are taking this book way too seriously. I like it.

I am enjoying it as well, the interactions are a bit off but it feels like a team just forming, sure Spiderman shouldn't be that forgiving to Tony, but that is who Spiderman is so it works. After reading #4 the book is really seeming short, like half as long as a book should be, so either it is a good read or it is too short, not sure.

My biggest problem is every issue does not need to end with a cliffhanger that is a red herring, every issue is that way.

308The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved issue 4.

309The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I'm liking the book more and more with each successive issue, but I'm still falling short of loving it. This Next Avengers angle is interesting, but JRJR's art is grossly inconsistent. He did some pretty nice-looking panels in this issue, but for the most part, his work on this book looks rushed and half-assed.

310The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #4

I liked this well enough. I mean, I wasn't blown away, but it was decent.

I'm still not big on the art. It's just very meh. JRJR can't draw women very well, IMO. At least not in this book.

311The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Avengers #4

I liked this well enough. I mean, I wasn't blown away, but it was decent.

I'm still not big on the art. It's just very meh. JRJR can't draw women very well, IMO. At least not in this book.

I thought this issue was a vast improvement over the previous 3 issues in that Bendis completely toned down the jokey-ness. There was still funny dialogue but I thought it was used much better. Agree with you, Bats, this was okay but not really blowing me away at this stage.

312The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah, I forgot to mention that this issue toned down the jokes. I'm happy it did.

313The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am

Arsenal0602

Arsenal0602
Cadet
Cadet

On Avengers, I just don't like the art, I like the smooth look of secret avengers and even New Avengers changing art per situation is good, but Avengers is too blocky I guess.

The lack of jokes is a plus, I don't really see Spiderman fitting in this avengers team, he works on the street level with New better then "classic" when they break out ultron or a galactic type threat I don't see him really working here, and I really don't want him to go all Wolverine and be in everything. How he is on 2 avengers teams, x-men, x-force and his own stories I am thinking the joke about his hidden super power is true

314The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:10 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm loving this book.

315The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:16 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #5

This is what I expect out of Bendis! Very good issue. We finally learn a lot about what's behind the destruction of the timestream and how the Avengers can resolve it. I love the dynamic between younger Tony and older Tony. And Bendis hits the right notes this time with the witty dialogue, especially with Spidey and Tony. Also some really great visuals this issue by JRJR...Thor fighting Galactus was worth it alone!

Oh and according to Brevoort, that timestream chart by the older Tony has some veeery significant tidbits and clues for present and future stories. WE NEED DR. WADE HERE TO DISSECT IT ALL! =/

316The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review of Avengers #5 is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=28494

317The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #5

I enjoyed this enough. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't hate it.

I am kind of anxious for this arc to be over with though. I want to get into some other stuff. It's only been 5 issues so far, but it feels like 10 to me.

I'm still not huge on the art. It's just not that great. There are bits and pieces I like, but overall it's just meh.

The timestream chart was interesting.

318The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Arsenal0602

Arsenal0602
Cadet
Cadet

I can't stand the art, too block-y for me, the story is kind of interesting, but I am not caring that much about the book, I'm not going to be dropping it but it has to do something soon to get me interested and keep me interested, I give most books 1 arc to pull me in.

319The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 am

comedianviet

comedianviet
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Did anybody notice Vision in the bottom right cover? Isn't he dead? He wasn't in this issue at all.

http://vietscustomtoys.blogspot.com/

320The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comedianviet wrote:Did anybody notice Vision in the bottom right cover? Isn't he dead? He wasn't in this issue at all.

I hadn't even noticed him.

He isn't dead anymore. He's back. He's with the Young Avengers. I mean, he's not exactly the same as he was before. He's a mix of the old Vision's operating systems and Iron Lad's (a teenage Kang the Conqueror) armor.

I'm not sure why he was on the cover, but since this arc is dealing with time travel and heroes being pulled from different time periods, the old version of the Vision could feasibly appear.

321The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Map

zoomed version: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img831/1894/mapnj.jpg

Scans-Daily did a breakdown of some of it (some of which I think they got wrong and I'll correct in red Smile)
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2401676.html

Going from left to right, as far as possible,

-Captain America Reborn (self explanatory)
-Heroic Age Begins (self explanatory)
-Hope Returns (the X-baby)
-Nine worlds in disarray (?) (most likely Frac's run on Thor)
-Three (Epting and Hickman's Fantastic Four)
-Man without fear (Daredevil)
-Throwbacks
-Academy Traitor! (Avengers Academy)
-Master of Kung Fu (The Immortal Iron Fist?) (this is likely about -Shang-Chi in Secret Avengers) link: http://comics.ign.com/articles/112/1123264p1.html
-What is where Asgard should be (isn't Loki addressing this point sometime soon?)
-Five Lights (5 new mutants after Hope's return)
-Nova Antiquus (something about Nova?)
-Return of the king (Black Panther? Wilson Fisk?) (I'll go with King -Blackagar Boltagon!)
-Night Falls (?) (Hmm...Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. related with Night Machine?)
-Iron Lad Returns (?) (Young Avengers)
-Where is Wanda (visual puzzle book for young children)
-All Hope Lies in Doom (one of the phrases that future Valeria sent Future Franklin gave to give to present Valeria. I think that it's to do with the Hole full of Dooms that the Council of Reeds has)
-Fear without Man (Don't know. Sounds fucking intense)
-Galactus Seed (Ditto)
-Schizm! (?)
-Yesterday's X-Men
-What's in the rings (?)
-Steve's Vision (The Vision? Or Steve Rogers' Indian drug fuelled vision that inspired him to write his big book of the Marvel Universe?) (Duh! Steve's "War of the Worlds" type vision at the end of Reborn.)
-Ultron War (the next chapter in Cosmic Marvel?)

I'm most interested in finding out more about "Steve's Vision", "Schizm", and "Night Falls".

Oh and Galactus Seed. blush

322The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought issue #5 was the best issue so far. I quite enjoyed the story in this one. I still find the art attrocious however and someone has said this before but JRJR can't draw women - his Maria Hill just looks awful. It's the story that's keeping me on board with this series.

I have to say the older Stark's timeline diagram with notes just seems like such a massive rip-off of Rip Hunter's whiteboard. Normally, I tend to look at these things as coincidence but in this case I just can't see it that way - it just looks like a steal of the idea. And I tend to think it's someone in editorial who's responsible not Bendis.

However, Rip Hunter's whiteboard was fun and so is this, so a few comments (I agree with a lot of your conclusions, Bigtymin):

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Going from left to right, as far as possible,

-Captain America Reborn (self explanatory)
-Heroic Age Begins (self explanatory)
-Hope Returns (the X-baby)
-Nine worlds in disarray (?) (most likely Frac's run on Thor)
-Three (Epting and Hickman's Fantastic Four)
-Man without fear (Daredevil)
-Throwbacks
-Academy Traitor! (Avengers Academy)
-Master of Kung Fu (The Immortal Iron Fist?) (this is likely about -Shang-Chi in Secret Avengers) link: http://comics.ign.com/articles/112/1123264p1.html
-What is where Asgard should be (isn't Loki addressing this point sometime soon?)
-Five Lights (5 new mutants after Hope's return)
-Nova Antiquus (something about Nova?)
-Return of the king (Black Panther? Wilson Fisk?) (I'll go with King -Blackagar Boltagon!)
-Night Falls (?) (Hmm...Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. related with Night Machine?)
-Iron Lad Returns (?) (Young Avengers)
-Where is Wanda (visual puzzle book for young children)
-All Hope Lies in Doom (one of the phrases that future Valeria sent Future Franklin gave to give to present Valeria. I think that it's to do with the Hole full of Dooms that the Council of Reeds has)
-Fear without Man (Don't know. Sounds fucking intense)
-Galactus Seed (Ditto)
-Schizm! (?)
-Yesterday's X-Men
-What's in the rings (?)
-Steve's Vision (The Vision? Or Steve Rogers' Indian drug fuelled vision that inspired him to write his big book of the Marvel Universe?) (Duh! Steve's "War of the Worlds" type vision at the end of Reborn.)
-Ultron War (the next chapter in Cosmic Marvel?)

I'm most interested in finding out more about "Steve's Vision", "Schizm", and "Night Falls".

Oh and Galactus Seed. blush

I also go with Black Bolt as the Return of the king.
Fear without man - I think is a Daredevil thing being the inverse of man without fear.
What's in the rings - I'm going with the Mandarin here and a potential upcoming Iron Man story. I suspect that's the reason Mandarin was featured in the recent Iron Man annual.
Ultron War - I think this is just a reference to what's being revealed in this storyline. Just on Cosmic Marvel - I get the distinct impression that we won't be seeing any more of these books for a while.

There's also one you didn't mention:

Who is worthy? and it's connected to 9.9.9 - not sure what that means.

323The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

The Who is worthy may be to do with the new Thunderstrike mini.

324The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:04 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Map
[

Is it me or is Marvel taking this out of DC's play book?
The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Rip_Hunter_Lap_booster_gold
The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Boo205_SCHOOL_4

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Rip_Hunter's_Chalk_Board

325The Avengers Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:55 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:I have to say the older Stark's timeline diagram with notes just seems like such a massive rip-off of Rip Hunter's whiteboard. Normally, I tend to look at these things as coincidence but in this case I just can't see it that way - it just looks like a steal of the idea. And I tend to think it's someone in editorial who's responsible not Bendis.

jaydee74 wrote:Is it me or is Marvel taking this out of DC's play book?

Honestly, who cares? It's a cool and fun plot device meant to tease us. Because we've seen Rip Hunter use it that means it's off limits now? It's just a harmless fun teaser device.

Aussiemandias wrote:I also go with Black Bolt as the Return of the king.
Fear without man - I think is a Daredevil thing being the inverse of man without fear.
What's in the rings - I'm going with the Mandarin here and a potential upcoming Iron Man story. I suspect that's the reason Mandarin was featured in the recent Iron Man annual.
Ultron War - I think this is just a reference to what's being revealed in this storyline. Just on Cosmic Marvel - I get the distinct impression that we won't be seeing any more of these books for a while.

There's also one you didn't mention:

Who is worthy? and it's connected to 9.9.9 - not sure what that means.

Good call on these Aussie, I was thinking Mandarin for the rings too.

Hmm the "Who is worthy?" one I'm not sure about but Big Poppa Nick made a good suggestion above, something to do with the new Thunderstrike perhaps? Not sure about the 9.9.9 though...unsure

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum