Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Plastic Beach Review

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Plastic Beach Review Empty My Plastic Beach Review Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gorillaz is one of those bands you can't wait for a next album from. They're not even an alternative group of any genre-just alternative because they take on any type of music and do it well. I was beyond happy when I found out they were coming out with another album and like Demon Days, I was curious what the title stood for. Gorillaz does a phenomenal job at storytelling and it's amazing how they switch from another genre to the next without ruining the concept.

The album starts off with a soft orchestral intro. This is the actual title of the first track of the album but it's actually a preview of the iTunes and Japanese bonus track "Pirate's Progress". I've listened to it and it's definitely the most stood-out track of the album if you include it. A lot of listeners won't be surprised by these tracks of orchestra but the band can do it and did.

Now what I believe is the honest intro is "Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach" featuring more surprising than "Orchestral Intro", Snoop Dogg! It's safe to say he's one of the most known musicians ever to be on a Gorillaz album. I personally aren't much of a fan of Snoop's latest work than his '90s work like Doggystyle and early 2000s material but he had it down pat on this track. I've never heard him flow this smooth like this-some may think he would ruin anything that had to do with Gorillaz but prepare to eat your words. I love the westside styled synthesizers included and this song is definitely one of the highlights of Plastic Beach.

Next is "White Flag" featuring British rappers, Bashy and Kano. But the what steals the song is the Arabic intro and background-if Music of Lebanon wasn't involved, this would a mediocre track. I have no idea who this rappers are but I believe it's safe to say it's a shame we don't here hip-hop like this much.

"Rhinestone Eyes" is track with 2D singing alone. It's kind of hard to explain this song except theirs nothing bad to say about it. It's in no way a filler on the album and a "rhinestone" (no pun intended) of the album.

Plastic Beach's 1st single, "Stylo" featuring Mos Def and Bobby Womack comes along. It's one of those tracks like Demon Days where you have to listen to a few times to love it. It's not a song for the clubs but it's also not one to be on Billboard's Hot 100. With that said, once you see the music video, you'll love this 5x more than before but all of Gorillaz videos would win you over anyway.

The album's 2nd single is "Superfast Jellyfish" featuring featuring De La Soul and Gruff Rhys. This song is as humorous as to think rappers would talk about things like this. This track is pretty much about crappy food with silly (yet not unnecessary) voice-overs like the laughing on "Feel Good Inc." The beat really makes this a feel good (no pun intended but I didn't even see that coming) and happy tune. I'm curious how this will perform on the charts but the music video won't disappoint, I'm sure of.

"Empire Ants" featuring Little Dragon...wow-I can't explain how I feel of this being the #1 track off the album. The song starts off with a calm and quiet combination of acoustics and 2D softly sings. As he begins, the song puts you in a trance (be sure to listen to this with quality speakers or headphones!) and after 2 minutes it sounds like you're rewarded letting yourself go. You're treated to a chorus from Little Dragon and a whole other beat that takes you to another world. Don't be surprised if you repeat this a few times after while turning up the volume.

"Glitter Freeze" is a pure electronica track that even though I hate to admit it started to sound like Christina Aguileria's "Keeps Getting Better". I mentioned this on YouTube and some people believed it was an insult and that Murdoc would "kill me in my sleep". It's NOT an insult, in fact it proves that everything reminds someone of something-it's been done before and in this song's case, it keeps getting better (again, no pun intended-kind of ironic, correct?).

"Some Kind of Nature" featuring Lou Reed is a guaranteed "toe-tapper" and "head-nodder". You'll be reciting the chorus every time and Lou Reed does a good job making this a very catchy song. You'll try to figure out Murdoc's meaning (especially with the stuttering) but that's one of the reasons that makes this a fun track.

"On Melancholy Hill" reminds me of an '80s inspired song. It's just a chill-out track and like "Rhinestone Eyes", you can't be mad it. Doing that would be like booing a kindergarten school play. There's just some things Gorillaz do that just can't be explained and this isn't a bad thing either.

Note: Now that I've reeled you in, it's only right I tell you I now have a column on IC and the link below is the full review. So take one second of your life, click the link, enjoy the rest it, come back here, post your thoughts, I'll be happy, IC will be happy and you'll be happy! Smile - ChrisToPhenom

http://www.investcomics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1530&Itemid=1

Standard and Experience Edition Covers-

My Plastic Beach Review 511VpFrYW6L._SL500_AA240_My Plastic Beach Review 516GpFvpNOL._SL500_AA240_

2My Plastic Beach Review Empty Re: My Plastic Beach Review Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:12 pm

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

Nice review, son!

3My Plastic Beach Review Empty Re: My Plastic Beach Review Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

deadbolt85 wrote:Nice review, son!
Hey, thank! yes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum