Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marvelman Returns...kinda

+9
Aussiemandias
Matt
Jherek
BlueMaxx
Foreigner_Man
prescribeddrone
jaydee74
Administrator
Fresh03
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvelman-marvel-june-2010-100323.html

Looks like they're reprinting all of the old issues when the character was essentially a rip off of Captain Marvel.

Still no announcement of a new ongoing, I recall that Neil Gaiman said he was game for going back and finishing his run on the book, which I believe is what most fans of the character wanted to see.

Anyway, starting in June it looks like we'll finally see some progress on this front.

Last edited by Fresh03 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

These reprints were obvious because Marvel basically bought the rights for the original material. I just hope they'll pee on Todd MacFarlane's head and also reprint the revamped material AND continue these stories.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

3Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm pretty sure I am going to be all over this.

4Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have no interest in him, but I'm glad to see some progress.

5Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

I'll check it out, but probably not immediately since it's not the Moore/Gaiman stuff.

6Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

I'll check it out, but probably not immediately since it's not the Moore/Gaiman stuff

Those are the issues that will cause a ruckus when Marvel tries to put them out.

From what I understand of the situation Mick Anglo has held the copyright of the character since the begining.

The whole Warrior/Eclipse series was done without his permission, whether he didn't know, care, or whatever the situation was essentially amounts to the fact he was screwed out of allot of money.

The whole McFarlane/Gaiman issue stems from McFarlane purchasing of Eclipse's properties without checking whether anyone else owned the rights to the Marvelman character, which Gaiman believed he did at the time. The two have tons of personal issues which just made things uglier than it probably should have been.

Since Mick Anglo and his family were able to provide proof that he did infact own the rights to the character from day one neither McFarlane or Gaiman actually owned anything to begin with, which in turn led to Marvel being able to purchase everything from him.

So, what will happen when Marvel tries to put out the Eclipse issues instead of just the original work? Who knows at this point honestly? McFarlane could sue, demand money, or any other number of unpleasant things. With it coming out that Anglo held the rights all along I don't think he's got much of a legal leg to stand on since all work with the character would automatically become his property not the publisher's.

I know Moore has said he doesn't care if they republish his work as long as they take his name off of it and Anglo gets paid, and bringing the property to Marvel was Gaiman's plan from the begining, so those two are on board. So the only potential monkey wrench is McFarlane, as he's always been when it comes to the Marvelman property.

7Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I'm pretty sure I am going to be all over this.
Me too. I'm thinking it's way, way, way overrated, though. Still wanna read them.

8Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Meh. You're gonna be dissapointed with the Anglo stuff. It really is just cutesy rip-off Captain Marvel. The Moore re-boot and subsequent take over by Gaiman on the other hand is comix gold. I sincerely hope it gets a reprint as even though I've read them I haven't seen them all in some time. I have the original Warrior issues and a couple of the trades.

9Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I dig pulp, though. Like the original JSA characters' runs were fun, albeit linear and amateurish.

10Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

Fresh03 wrote:
I'll check it out, but probably not immediately since it's not the Moore/Gaiman stuff

Those are the issues that will cause a ruckus when Marvel tries to put them out.

From what I understand of the situation Mick Anglo has held the copyright of the character since the begining.

The whole Warrior/Eclipse series was done without his permission, whether he didn't know, care, or whatever the situation was essentially amounts to the fact he was screwed out of allot of money.

The whole McFarlane/Gaiman issue stems from McFarlane purchasing of Eclipse's properties without checking whether anyone else owned the rights to the Marvelman character, which Gaiman believed he did at the time. The two have tons of personal issues which just made things uglier than it probably should have been.

Since Mick Anglo and his family were able to provide proof that he did infact own the rights to the character from day one neither McFarlane or Gaiman actually owned anything to begin with, which in turn led to Marvel being able to purchase everything from him.

So, what will happen when Marvel tries to put out the Eclipse issues instead of just the original work? Who knows at this point honestly? McFarlane could sue, demand money, or any other number of unpleasant things. With it coming out that Anglo held the rights all along I don't think he's got much of a legal leg to stand on since all work with the character would automatically become his property not the publisher's.

I know Moore has said he doesn't care if they republish his work as long as they take his name off of it and Anglo gets paid, and bringing the property to Marvel was Gaiman's plan from the begining, so those two are on board. So the only potential monkey wrench is McFarlane, as he's always been when it comes to the Marvelman property.

Don't forget they would need to talk to all of the permission of the artist too.

Honestly not to many people are going to care about the Anglo reprints. Some might buy this thinking they will see the Moore stuff and get pissed off that it's not. I would love to see a nice hardcover reprint of everything but I doubt that it will ever make it out of all the legal red tape.

11Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 am

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Anglo was the artist as well...

12Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

Fresh03 wrote:Anglo was the artist as well...

I was talking about on the Moore and Gaiman stuff

13Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I realise it's not the case with most of you guys but I wonder how many people are going to be suckered in to buying this stuff thinking that all the critical acclaim over the years for Miracleman includes this early work?

14Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:14 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Ooo, good point. Most will assume that this is exactly the epic they've heard talks about, but then don't realize that those certain ones were arcs.

15Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:46 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought this was about Captain Super from Crisis on Two Earths... Laughing

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

16Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Latest teaser by Jae Lee:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27013

Marvelman Returns...kinda YM

17Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Are they having a leaping contest or something?

Laughing

18Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:21 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:Are they having a leaping contest or something?

Laughing

Yeah, leaping into people's wallets cashing in on work done by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman that this has very little connection to except by name.

19Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Until they release the Moore stuff (if they ever do), I really won't care at all.

20Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

I just hope they finally finish the Gaiman stuff

21Marvelman Returns...kinda Empty Re: Marvelman Returns...kinda Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:49 am

Jango Fett

Jango Fett
Cadet
Cadet

I picked my comics up yesterday and saw the "new" Marvelman comic. I thought "cool" and flipped through it. I then saw that its just a reprint of black and white garbage from the 50's, and they wanted $3.99 for it. I put it back.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum