Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers

+9
prescribeddrone
Sapphire Gypsy
boberthavok
Joshua
Paroxysm
Rath99
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Ric Magnum
Lee
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

So Microsoft rolled out a big presentation for the former Netal, now dubbed "Kinetic," yesterday at E3. Sony is surely going to have a big to-do with their Move later at the show. Does this move you, game buyers? If you've got a few quick words to say on the subject (positive or negative), I'd be interested to hear them. I may pull some quotes from this thread in an upcoming piece I'm writing about motion controllers for panelsonpages.com.

Thanks in advance, all.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

Lee wrote:So Microsoft rolled out a big presentation for the former Netal, now dubbed "Kinetic," yesterday at E3. Sony is surely going to have a big to-do with their Move later at the show. Does this move you, game buyers? If you've got a few quick words to say on the subject (positive or negative), I'd be interested to hear them. I may pull some quotes from this thread in an upcoming piece I'm writing about motion controllers for panelsonpages.com.

Thanks in advance, all.

I'm not really up to speed on the Sony Move controller but I have been reading about Natal/Kinect. The Kinect has an opportunity to be an epic win or epic fail in my opinion. I hope it doesn't go the way of the Wii. What I mean is, for the Wii you have a few great games (Mario Kart, Wii Sports; etc...) that capitalize on the motion controller feature and you also have a lot of terrible games that just don't fit well with the motion controller. The Wii is really catered to the casual gamer and I think that is the area that Microsoft is looking to move into. They are trying to attract more casual gamers to their system with the Kinect. The games that have been shown for the Kinect look to be very basic, short and with little to no learning curve like most of the Wii games. I have a hard time seeing Microsoft develope a hardcore RPG that integrates the Kinect. There is only so much you can do with these motion control games. There is no way you could have a game like Modern Warfare 2 that utilizes this motion control.

So far, a lot of the games introduced for the Kinect are very similar to some Wii games that have already been released (Kinect Star Wars/Wii Star Wars: Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels, kinect Joyride/Wii Mario Kart, Kinectimals/Nintendogs, Kinect Fitness Evolved/Wii Fit). To me, this indicates that Microsoft is trying to absorb some of the Wii's casual gamer audience. But does the casual gamer want to spend $299 on a X-Box 360 and another $100+ on the Kinect peripheral? In my opinion, I don't think the casual gamer will want to front that much cash. If they did, then they aren't a casual gamer. I just hope the Kinect is not a costly experiment like the Sega Activator for the Sega Genesis.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ric Magnum wrote:
Lee wrote:So Microsoft rolled out a big presentation for the former Netal, now dubbed "Kinetic," yesterday at E3. Sony is surely going to have a big to-do with their Move later at the show. Does this move you, game buyers? If you've got a few quick words to say on the subject (positive or negative), I'd be interested to hear them. I may pull some quotes from this thread in an upcoming piece I'm writing about motion controllers for panelsonpages.com.

Thanks in advance, all.

I'm not really up to speed on the Sony Move controller but I have been reading about Natal/Kinect. The Kinect has an opportunity to be an epic win or epic fail in my opinion. I hope it doesn't go the way of the Wii. What I mean is, for the Wii you have a few great games (Mario Kart, Wii Sports; etc...) that capitalize on the motion controller feature and you also have a lot of terrible games that just don't fit well with the motion controller. The Wii is really catered to the casual gamer and I think that is the area that Microsoft is looking to move into. They are trying to attract more casual gamers to their system with the Kinect. The games that have been shown for the Kinect look to be very basic, short and with little to no learning curve like most of the Wii games. I have a hard time seeing Microsoft develope a hardcore RPG that integrates the Kinect. There is only so much you can do with these motion control games. There is no way you could have a game like Modern Warfare 2 that utilizes this motion control.

So far, a lot of the games introduced for the Kinect are very similar to some Wii games that have already been released (Kinect Star Wars/Wii Star Wars: Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels, kinect Joyride/Wii Mario Kart, Kinectimals/Nintendogs, Kinect Fitness Evolved/Wii Fit). To me, this indicates that Microsoft is trying to absorb some of the Wii's casual gamer audience. But does the casual gamer want to spend $299 on a X-Box 360 and another $100+ on the Kinect peripheral? In my opinion, I don't think the casual gamer will want to front that much cash. If they did, then they aren't a casual gamer. I just hope the Kinect is not a costly experiment like the Sega Activator for the Sega Genesis.

i think that is where they will be hurt the most by this: The price. i don't see people paying extra for this when they can get a Wii. The only people I think that will be truly swayed are the hardcore gamers. I imagine the quality of games associated with this will have a strong impact on whether or not people buy this. I'm more of a casual gamer but a cheap one at that, so I would not pay extra unless there was a better incentive to do so.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm tired of having to buy extra shit to play a game! Games cost enough without having to buy a $50 controller or an extra $100 in peripherals to play it. I enjoy the Wii for what it does but Sony and Microsoft should stick to what they do best.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

I'm hearing that the Move has a higher level of motion-sensing accuracy than the Wii or Kinetic.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, it does... but do you care?

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Yes I do actually. The PlayStation Move controller is more an evolution of the Wiimote than something entirely ground-breaking in its own right but that's no reason not to be impressed.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, because I don't actually own a current next-gen system.

Personally, I think motion control is great. It's a new way to interact with games, only more intuitively. There's a reason so many older people and non-gamers own Wiis. However, just like a more conventional controller, not all games properly (or even adequately) take advantage of the control scheme. And that's where I sit when it comes to motion control; the quality of games is no different than with a standard controller. There are great games and there are terrible games. The medium isn't to blame, the developer is.

All that said, I would like to bring up the fact that in an older interview Jack Tretton (present CEO of SOA) once derisively compared the Wiimote to a lollipop and said that as an adult, he doesn't want a lollipop. Now Sony has taken a cue from Nintendo and made a controller that actually looks like a lollipop. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with companies jumping on successful ideas, but it's probably best not to insult ideas that you may one day end up emulating. But sticking his foot in his mouth isn't anything new for Tretton.

boberthavok

boberthavok
Pirate
Pirate

Kinect has the fact it is one lump some for all 4 players. While move you have to buy 4 for 4 players and oh yeah the move control just looks like a Wiimote ripoff.

But honestly I could careless about either I have my Wii I don't need any other motion sensor for my other system

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

http://www.ps3blog.net/2010/03/24/complete-engadget-show-move-demonstrations/

What these demonstrations, they'll blow your mind.

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm sure it would blow my mind if it were still there.

Honestly, I have no intentions of buying any of these peripherals. If I wanted to dance around my living room looking like an idiot to play a game I'd get drunk and play DDR.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Meh, nothing against them but I'm not really interested in them. I didn't look into it but I'm pretty sure I won't them need with the games I play.

13Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=24754

14Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:If I wanted to dance around my living room looking like an idiot to play a game I'd get drunk and play DDR.

You don't have to be drunk to look like an idiot playing DDR. Very Happy

15Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:11 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Added comment there, but basically, Kinect is interesting because of the non game integration with the console dashboard. I won't be spending $150 on it though, I can use a controller just fine.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

I'll be buying the Move for sure. I like the feel of the Wiimote and the Move just looks ten times better, plus the games are going to be top notch unlike the Wii. Most Wii game are for little kids anyways.

Kinetic just looks plain stupid.

Lewis Black is Sabertooth

Lewis Black is Sabertooth
Ninja
Ninja

Kinetic- Standing is mandatory if you want to play a game using it. You can't sit down. Voice activated EyeToy. Wait till someone is using Xbox live without a headset and has Kinetic. Screaming XBOX, SHUT DOWN will turn your system off. That'll go over real well.

Move- More DPI accuracy but MOVE games are blatant ripoffs of Wii Sports. Controller design is dumb, price is said to be double that of Wiimotes. The techdemo was showing pinpoint accuracy, but what good is the hardware without any games.

If Sony is going to make an impact they are going to have to bring ALOT more to the table than what they have now. Hate to break it to you, it's been done before and the "fad" and "newness" to the technology is already gone. Everyone that wanted to experience motion controls bought a Wii. And we've already been through this that the supposed "core" gamers don't like motion controls, they hate it. So IMO they're trying to market the product to an area that's already saturated with it. It'll have similar results as the PSP, yes it will sell, but not as much as Nintendo's product.

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.moutrey

18Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:
Sapphire Gypsy wrote:If I wanted to dance around my living room looking like an idiot to play a game I'd get drunk and play DDR.

You don't have to be drunk to look like an idiot playing DDR. Very Happy

No, but I have to be drunk to play DDR. Very Happy

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

19Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Lewis Black is Sabertooth wrote:

Move- More DPI accuracy but MOVE games are blatant ripoffs of Wii Sports. Controller design is dumb, price is said to be double that of Wiimotes. The techdemo was showing pinpoint accuracy, but what good is the hardware without any games.

If Sony is going to make an impact they are going to have to bring ALOT more to the table than what they have now. Hate to break it to you, it's been done before and the "fad" and "newness" to the technology is already gone. Everyone that wanted to experience motion controls bought a Wii. And we've already been through this that the supposed "core" gamers don't like motion controls, they hate it. So IMO they're trying to market the product to an area that's already saturated with it. It'll have similar results as the PSP, yes it will sell, but not as much as Nintendo's product.

You've probably only seen the Sports Champions demo (which is waaaaay better than Wii Sports). That's the only "rip off" title. The rest looks solid as hell.

September 2010

Sports Champions
Eye Pet
Kung Fu Rider
Start the Party!
echochrome 2 (PSN)
Tumble (PSN)
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®️ 11 (Electronic Arts)
Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios)
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest (WB Games Inc.)
Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave)
Resident Evil®️5 Gold Edition (Capcom)
Time Crisis: Razing Storm (Bandai Namco)
R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft)

October 2010

Hustle Kings
PAIN (PSN)
TV Superstars
The Fight: Lights Out
The Shoot
High Velocity Bowling (PSN)
Heavy Rain
NBA®️ 2K11 (2K Sports)
Kung Fu LIVE (Virtual Air Guitar Company)
November 2010
Sly Collection
SingStar Dance
LittleBigPlanet 2
Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos (Crave)
Disney Tron Evolution the Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios)

Fall 2010

Beat Sketcher (PSN)
SOCOM 4
John Daly’s ProStroke Golf (OG International)
Racquet Sports (Ubisoft)
TBA 2011
Sorcery
Heroes on the Move
Killzone 3

There is no doubt about it, Sony raised the bar this time.

20Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:55 am

boberthavok

boberthavok
Pirate
Pirate

Ehh I am not impressed with either. In the long run Sony just looks like they are ripping off Wii and both seemed to have problems actually reading movements of the users. Plus am I the only who thinks the PS move wands kind of look like sex toys

21Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Empty Re: Sony and Microsoft's Motion controllers Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Paroxysm wrote:
You've probably only seen the Sports Champions demo (which is waaaaay better than Wii Sports). That's the only "rip off" title. The rest looks solid as hell.

September 2010

Sports Champions
Eye Pet
Kung Fu Rider
Start the Party!
echochrome 2 (PSN)
Tumble (PSN)
R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft)

October 2010

Hustle Kings
PAIN (PSN)
TV Superstars
The Shoot
Heavy Rain
NBA®️ 2K11 (2K Sports)
November 2010
Sly Collection
SingStar Dance
LittleBigPlanet 2

Fall 2010

Beat Sketcher (PSN)
SOCOM 4
Racquet Sports (Ubisoft)
TBA 2011
Sorcery
Heroes on the Move
Killzone 3

I'm a hardcore PlaySation fan, but NONE of these games make me want to spend the $100+ necessary to get the hardware to play with. The games on this list I DO want to play will do just fine without any motion control. It's frivileous at best and excessive or derivative at worst.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Lee wrote:
Paroxysm wrote:

September 2010

Sports Champions
Eye Pet
Kung Fu Rider
Start the Party!
echochrome 2 (PSN)
Tumble (PSN)
R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft)

October 2010

Hustle Kings
PAIN (PSN)
TV Superstars
The Shoot
Heavy Rain
NBA®️ 2K11 (2K Sports)
November 2010
Sly Collection
SingStar Dance
LittleBigPlanet 2

Fall 2010

Beat Sketcher (PSN)
SOCOM 4
Racquet Sports (Ubisoft)
TBA 2011
Sorcery
Heroes on the Move
Killzone 3

I'm a hardcore PlaySation fan, but NONE of these games make me want to spend the $100+ necessary to get the hardware to play with. The games on this list I DO want to play will do just fine without any motion control. It's frivileous at best and excessive or derivative at worst.

Okay so what, that you. I'm going to buy it because I can afford it and I'm willing to try new things.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

boberthavok wrote:Ehh I am not impressed with either. In the long run Sony just looks like they are ripping off Wii and both seemed to have problems actually reading movements of the users. Plus am I the only who thinks the PS move wands kind of look like sex toys

Nope, the Move is 10 x better than Wii Motion Plus, I've already read/seen it in action.

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

having problems with my 360 controller. having to constantly reconnect to the system. not sure what is wrong. the batteries are brand new. really frustrating.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum