Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt?

+3
rwe1138
prescribeddrone
BlueMaxx
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:34 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Any book that is just way out there? Not necessarily just crazy and surreal, but freaky or just like, "Whoa, this is a comic?" I know a couple of the Princesses have been reading a title that is extra f'ed up. devil Anyone care to share?

I'll start it off with a two givens.

The Invisibles inspired me to make this thread. This is like Grant Morrisons demigod child. It's literally a piece of him put into print. Insane ride from beginning to end. From hypersigils to alien deities that enslave mankind. To blue, crusty hallucinogens that help one transcend reality physically to...well, Lord Fanny. Laughing Just a crazy book that really needs an open mind.
What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? 1686_400x600

The Maxx. I've kind of worn out my welcome with this title, especially as of late. Wink But, if you're interested, look it up. Good stuff.

Plenty more to list. Whatcha got?

2What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Invisibles def (from what I read so far) and Grant Morrisons Batman, Grant Morrisons All Star Superman.

3What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:05 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

Not to make this all about Morrison, but when I think "brain-melting comics" I instantly think of his run on Animal Man.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

4What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:10 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Haha! Yes. Hopefully this won't become another Morrison thread, but The Filth is amazing. If you want a dose of The Invisibles but don't want to invest money into a big collection, try out Filth.

5What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:34 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well it is turning into a Morrison thread Laughing because I'm going to add his Doom Patrol run to this as well. Seriously, at the time it came out I had read nothing in comics like it.

6What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Tomer Soiker

Tomer Soiker
Former Member of the Royal PoP! Order
Former Member of the Royal PoP! Order

Morrison's The Filth (though it was very hard to get into)

Phonogram (but it was too messed up and complicated for me to understand; that's really why my brain melted...)

Almost anything non-mainstream by Warren Ellis (okay, even lots of his mainstream stuff)

(Isn't it funny that of these are from creators born in the UK?)

http://spidey82.wordpress.com

7What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Morrison's The Filth (though it was very hard to get into)

Phonogram (but it was too messed up and complicated for me to understand; that's really why my brain melted...)

Almost anything non-mainstream by Warren Ellis (okay, even lots of his mainstream stuff)

(Isn't it funny that of these are from creators born in the UK?)

I think it's because artistic freedom is more valued there than in America.

8What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Well, Morrison has been mentioned to death, and I love the man. No one has mentioned Flex Mentallo yet though, so I will toss that out there.

Phonogram took me two or three times through, and a lot of research into britpop, before it even kind of made sense.

I remember when I first read Crisis On Infinite Earths it kind of blew my mind. The story was a little confusing for young me, and a lot of the characters I was totally unfamiliar with at the time.

The Armageddon 2001 Event was pretty crazy for an innocently youthful Eli to fathom. This new character was showing up in all of the annuals and deciding whether or not to kill superheroes after reading their futures. Crazy stuff, and some cool elseworlds-y one shots.

9What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

New X-Men was the thing that turned me back onto Morrison after he left JLA. The concepts that he introduced in that book were things that should have changed the X-men forever.

Warren Ellis's Authority really melted my brain.

Walt Simonson's Thor enthralled me when I first started reading comics. I was lucky enough to read the Surtur Saga as my first comics.

Jim Starlin's Warlock in 70's was a milestone to me in freaky comics. It's gotten the Masterworks treatment and if you haven't read it and enjoy cosmic stuff grab it.

Recently nothing comes to mind that isn't Morrison.

10What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

The original Omega the Unknown. The newer one was okay, but nowhere near as mind-blowing as the original.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

11What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Empty Re: What Comic(s) Made Your Brain Melt? Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Very surprised no mentions of Preacher yet. That was a complete mind fuck, IMO.

And yes, wonder Ellis and Transmetropolitan sticks out in my mind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum