Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superman/Action Comics

+12
Mnemosis
Foreigner_Man
superdoug
rwe1138
Administrator
Batman25JM
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
Joshua
Metal Misfit
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

51Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:27 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

J. Michael Straczynski takes over Superman with #701.

Thoughts?

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

52Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was fearing this. Well, lets hope he doesn't shit all over him like he did Spiderman

53Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:I was fearing this. Well, lets hope he doesn't shit all over him like he did Spiderman

Laughing Every time I see Spider-Man spelled like this, it reminds me of a Friends interchange:

Phoebe: Hey. Why isn't it Spiderman? You know, like Goldman, Silverman.
Chandler: Because, it... it's not his last name.
Phoebe: It isn't?
Chandler: No. It's not like Phil Spiderman. He's a spider *man*. You know, like Goldman is a last name but there's no Gold Man.
Phoebe: Oh, oh okay...
Phoebe: There should *be* a Gold Man!

54Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"So, what would Goldman's powers be?" Laughing

55Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JMS has been dying to write Superman so I'm really looking forward to this. The Superman books have been just hovering around mediocre for a while now. World of New Krypton started out promising but has fizzled out IMO. I think this could be the shot in the arm that gets people reading Superman books again.

56Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:58 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:JMS has been dying to write Superman so I'm really looking forward to this. The Superman books have been just hovering around mediocre for a while now. World of New Krypton started out promising but has fizzled out IMO. I think this could be the shot in the arm that gets people reading Superman books again.

I've been collecting Superman consistently for the better part of the last decade, but if I get the slightest hint of Clark making a deal with Mxy to save Ma Kent from a BBshot wound from those damn Ryder boys from the next farm at the cost of his marriage to Lois I'll drop this book like it was written by Bendis. Laughing

57Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:JMS has been dying to write Superman so I'm really looking forward to this. The Superman books have been just hovering around mediocre for a while now. World of New Krypton started out promising but has fizzled out IMO. I think this could be the shot in the arm that gets people reading Superman books again.

I've been collecting Superman consistently for the better part of the last decade, but if I get the slightest hint of Clark making a deal with Mxy to save Ma Kent from a BBshot wound from those damn Ryder boys from the next farm at the cost of his marriage to Lois I'll drop this book like it was written by Bendis. Laughing

Haha well that was more editorial mandate than JMS himself, he ultimately left the book because of it. Nontheless, I'd argue that OMD has led to some of the best Spidey stories in a long time right now...but that's a discussion for another time lol.

And funny enough, what you described is basically Superman 2000, the story pitched by Morrison, Millar, and Waid to revamp Superman that never saw the light of day. Laughing

58Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm excited by the news. I looking forward to his work on Wonder Woman as well, due to his work on Thor. His work on Thor is also part of the reason why I want to see what he will do with Superman.

I was looking forward to Morrison writing this, but I can live with this as well.

Last edited by Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

59Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:And funny enough, what you described is basically Superman 2000, the story pitched by Morrison, Millar, and Waid to revamp Superman that never saw the light of day. Laughing

Thankfully, I might add.

60Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm excited by the news. I looking forward to his work on Wonder Woman as well, due to his work on Thor. His work on Thor is also part of the reason why I want to see what he will do with Superman.

Hopefully whatever he does with Diana will be more original than what he did with Thor

61Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
And funny enough, what you described is basically Superman 2000, the story pitched by Morrison, Millar, and Waid to revamp Superman that never saw the light of day. Laughing

I always hear about this but never read it (the proposal) or knew what it was about. Was it that bad? huh

62Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm excited by the news. I looking forward to his work on Wonder Woman as well, due to his work on Thor. His work on Thor is also part of the reason why I want to see what he will do with Superman.

Hopefully whatever he does with Diana will be more original than what he did with Thor

Hopefully. My only gripe with Thor was how he returned Thor to a state similar to his old self. I was hoping for something new. Not necessarily an all powerful Thor but something different. Maybe a different outlook on things or something. I thought it was good nonetheless though but another man's trash... Laughing

63Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I always hear about this but never read it (the proposal) or knew what it was about. Was it that bad? huh

Imagine One More Day with Superman characters, and that was the story. Honestly, I think Millar re-pitched it at a Marvel Summit and actually convinced Quesada to go with it. He probably bought him a new guitar..

64Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was looking forward to Morrison writing this, but I can live with this as well.

I was intrigued by the idea of Morrison on Wonder Woman too because Morrison has said in the past that he didn't like the character and never "got" her so to speak. lol

65Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:23 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Hopefully. My only gripe with Thor was how he returned Thor to a state similar to his old self. I was hoping for something new. Not necessarily an all powerful Thor but something different. Maybe a different outlook on things or something. I thought it was good nonetheless though but another man's trash... Laughing

It wasn't a bad read, it was just riddled with cliches. I mean, c'mon now, it didn't occur to anyone in Asgard that Loki could be playing them?

Thor: "We've been battling each other for millenniums now because of your scheming ways, buuuut.. I'm sure you've had a change of heart for no apparent reason."

Ohhh JMS Rolling Eyes

Last edited by LordD3r3k on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

66Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

I always hear about this but never read it (the proposal) or knew what it was about. Was it that bad? huh

I've only read the basic premise so I'm not totally sure, but its very similar to OMD. But who knows, it might have worked. I still think that Spider-Man is in a really great place story-wise right now, some of the best in a long time. OMD might not have been the best means but IMO the ends has sort of justified it.

67Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Hopefully. My only gripe with Thor was how he returned Thor to a state similar to his old self. I was hoping for something new. Not necessarily an all powerful Thor but something different. Maybe a different outlook on things or something. I thought it was good nonetheless though but another man's trash... Laughing

It wasn't a bad read, it was just riddled with cliches. I mean, c'mon now, it didn't occur to anyone in Asgard that Loki could be playing them?

Thor: "We've been battling each other for millenniums now because of your scheming ways, buuuut.. I'm sure you've had a change of heart for no apparent reason."

Ohhh JMS Rolling Eyes

He's the god of Mischief so he's pretty damn good at what he does. The way it was executed wasn't "cliched" at all if you ask me. Loki basically set things up to where people would do things that led to their own downfall, and kept his hand clean throughout the process. I thought it was masterful execution really.

68Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:He's the god of Mischief so he's pretty damn good at what he does. The way it was executed wasn't "cliched" at all if you ask me. Loki basically set things up to where people would do things that led to their own downfall, and kept his hand clean throughout the process. I thought it was masterful execution really.

Well, I say thee NAY! Laughing

It seemed like writing by the numbers to me.

69Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:He's the god of Mischief so he's pretty damn good at what he does. The way it was executed wasn't "cliched" at all if you ask me. Loki basically set things up to where people would do things that led to their own downfall, and kept his hand clean throughout the process. I thought it was masterful execution really.

tongue

Any ideas on who the artists will be on Supes and WW? I'm hoping Gary Frank for Supes and assuming Nicloa Scott on WW...

70Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote: tongue

Any ideas on who the artists will be on Supes and WW? I'm hoping Gary Frank for Supes and assuming Nicloa Scott on WW...

Well, those would definitely be fine, logical choices. I'd definitely be excited for that

71Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

The Superman 2000 proposal had Brainiac destroying Lois' mind after a huge Luthor/Brainiac team-up that was thwarted by Mxyzptlk and Superman together, making Lois slowly dying. Mxyzptlk repairs her mind, but--because he's a mischief make--destroys Lois' memories of Superman's ID and the whole marriage in the process. Other than that, IMO the proposal was quite good and set the standard for what the current titles are trying to achieve.

I'm excited for JMS on Superman. JMS has done some great stuff (I don't count OMD as a JMS story..twas more of an editorial agenda story) and he seems to be one of the biggest fans of Superman.

Grant Morrison would've been cool to see on Wonder Woman. I think he's going to be writing the Earth One: Wonder Woman GN. I also the writer he'll be working with will be David Finch.

72Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:11 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

somehow I feel like I started these Grant Morrison/Wonder Woman rumors upon Gail Simon's leave, but I didn't...I read it somewhere that he wanted to tackle the character (don't we all Perv ) but you know...JMS is a fine choice for both...quite a hefty load, to boot.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

73Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

LordD3r3k wrote:

To me, for a God of Mischief to successfully exist among an eternal race, you have to assume a certain naivete amongst said race. Yes, they know Loki's the god of mischief. Yes, from time to time they "get" it. But you have to assume that they're of such good and noble nature that 9 times out of 10, they completely accept Loki at his word, because... why would ANYBODY lie.

I also assume that a God of Mischief has a certain mystical ability to mask his intentions. Maybe you know he's going to lie to you, but then when he does, you can't HELP but believe what he says. To me, that would be a very interesting take on his powers. And, heroes knowing this, would then have to find a way to prepare for the lies.

74Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:To me, for a God of Mischief to successfully exist among an eternal race, you have to assume a certain naivete amongst said race. Yes, they know Loki's the god of mischief. Yes, from time to time they "get" it. But you have to assume that they're of such good and noble nature that 9 times out of 10, they completely accept Loki at his word, because... why would ANYBODY lie.

I also assume that a God of Mischief has a certain mystical ability to mask his intentions. Maybe you know he's going to lie to you, but then when he does, you can't HELP but believe what he says. To me, that would be a very interesting take on his powers. And, heroes knowing this, would then have to find a way to prepare for the lies.

These are all things that could make the story work, but since this isn't the case, it doesn't.

Last time Thor saw Loki he brought on Ragnarok. Suddenly that's all water under the bridge because he now has a nice rack? Utter bullshit.

JMS's run wasn't badly written, just badly conceived.

The problem here is that Loki was shown as a master of mischief by portraying the Asgardians as dumb as rocks. That's not "materpiece" writing to me. A good writer would have found a more clever way for Loki to trick his people without making them look like dolts.

75Superman/Action Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:To me, for a God of Mischief to successfully exist among an eternal race, you have to assume a certain naivete amongst said race. Yes, they know Loki's the god of mischief. Yes, from time to time they "get" it. But you have to assume that they're of such good and noble nature that 9 times out of 10, they completely accept Loki at his word, because... why would ANYBODY lie.

These are all things that could make the story work, but since this isn't the case, it doesn't.

Last time Thor saw Loki he brought on Ragnarok. Suddenly that's all water under the bridge because he now has a nice rack? Utter bullshit.

JMS's run wasn't badly written, just badly conceived.

The problem here is that Loki was shown as a master of mischief by portraying the Asgardians as dumb as rocks. That's not "materpiece" writing to me. A good writer would have found a more clever way for Loki to trick his people without making them look like dolts.

I literally feel like we read different stories lol. Loki was constantly shown doing behind-the-scenes manipulation throughout this run by slyly setting things in places and steering clear of the blow back. Nobody is portrayed as "dumb"...the only reason the Asgardians leave him around is because they have no other choice. He is an Asgardian Prince no matter what and rightfully resides in Asgard. And Thor has always been shown to be a softy when it comes to his half-brother, he's always held out hope that he can be redeemed. But that's not to say he was an idiot to Loki's actions, just that Loki was that damn good and before Thor knew it, he was banished from Asgard by his best friend Balder for killing his own grandfather Bor. Thor did that all himself and knew he had to accept the consequences, Loki just pulled the right strings to make it happen. JMS did an amazing job of showing how manipulative Loki can be while still keeping his mischief off the radar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum